• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Walther P22 questions....

Ghillie Zen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2009
The Black Lodge
Well, I'm giving the P22 a second chance. I had one about 5 years ago and got so frustrated with how it ran subs, that I let her go on a quick sale.

There were a lot of things that I liked about it, and after researching the issues that I encountered and how to overcome them, I've decided to give it another go.

I ordered the od model with the 3.4 inch barrel. I also had my shop order up a Viridian laser for it. I'm getting conflicting arguments over which barrel set-up is best. I'd prefer the 3.4 for times when I might decide to carry it, but it's mainly being bought as a target toy to save some money on ammo.

Is there really any signifigant difference in accuracy between the two barrel sizes? Or is the main advantage of the 5" that it provides a greater sight radius? I'll be running a laser with it most of the time, so the increase in sight effectiveness isn't really a big deal for me. I'm more concerned about whether the added length will create increased range and/or accuracy.

What type of ammo do you guys run through it for subs and high-velocity?

Thanks!!

Re: Walther P22 questions....

My P22 is the 5" barrel version and it provides a better sight radius when using the fixed sights. But since you've got the laser it shouldn't really matter.

As for ammo, mine likes the Standard and Hi-Velocity, I stay away from subsonic and hyper-velocity ammo, too many feed and extraction issues.

I have one that was built in '05, total POS when I got it. Ran like shit until I found the "P22 Bible" and tuned it up. Ran through 250 rounds of Wal-Mart Fed 550 bulk last weekend without a single problem. Before I worked it over it would not even run through a full mag of mini-mags. I think the only subs I have are Wolf ME, I'll give that stuff a shot this weekend and report back. Now that the gun runs I really like the little thing.

I have the short bbl and have not shot the 5" so I can't compare them, but I will tell you that I was hitting a 10"X6" steel plate at 25yds more often than not while in the seated postition last weekend.

I just bought a P22 myself, it's in my town but isn't getting shipped to my FFL until tomorrow UGH! I plan on shooting it Friday to see how it is. Mine is also the 3.4" version

mine works fine with subs...got a boatload of ammo through it ...had issues with mags when I first bought it ...

Supersonic ammo through a .22lr pistol will come out subsonic. Save your subsonic for your rifle.

I love the P22 with the YHM can on it, runs like a champ for me. Of course there was plenty of time to run copius amounts of Winchester Xpert .22lr through it to limber things up. It wanted to jam after every shot right out of the box. Took probably a couple hundred rounds and a few good cleanings before she started running completely smooth. Didn't even try to run subs through it, after reading the above post don't believe I will either. Super fun little shooter.

Mine runs fine with sub sonic and suppressor. It is 3.4" with Veridian Green on it. Only thing about the Veridian is that it eats batteries.

I have the 3.4 version, and have about 2500 rnds through it now. Eats whatever I feed it, with the best accuracy coming from Remington golden bullets, Stingers arent too bad either.

I still haven't been able to figure out how to get the damn slide off. I've only had mine about 2 days and I know it requires that stupid little key thing, but no luck.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gVrvPh8mBs4&feature=player_embedded#"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gVrvPh8mBs4&feature=player_embedded#" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

i just got rid of 2 of them. ended up buying a AA conversion for a g30

We had one as a shop demo gun with a Coastal can on it and fired somewhere near 6000 rounds before we had a lick of trouble out of it. If anything, we abused the hell out of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patrick Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tried mine with Wolf ME, FTE everytime. </div></div>
The manual, I believe, advises the shooter to use high velocity ammo. Although I have shot a lot of subsonic and standard vel thru mine with the suppressor on it.
If it doesn't feed with any type/brand of ammo just send it back to S&W. The problem would most likely be the magazine.

I have the 3.4 barrel on mine. Always run the golden bullets without a problem. Never tried subs and I run a outback 2. I did chrony it with the golden bullets at about 10 ft from the barrel and they clocked at under 700fps

I've shot probably 4-5k rounds through mine over the years. Never had much trouble with it unless it was super dirty. A little TLC with some Hoppes #9 and she was good to go.

My only complaint is that I don't think the longer barrel is worth a damn. The little barrel weight that attaches on the cover of the barrel is a POS. After cooking this thing off (a session with several new shooters and atleast 500+ rounds through it) it started to slide off on me.

I think this thing is good to go but I'd get the shorter 3.4 inch barrel and not look back.

However, unless you plan to suppress it, I'd really consider getting a .22lr conversion for one of your fullsize pistols instead. I'd easily buy a Marvel conversion for a 1911 over this thing any day of the week and 3x on Sunday.

It is a sweet little pistol though. It's great for teaching new shooters and women to shoot. (Not that a woman couldn't shoot circles around me with a .45 or .500 or whatever) but it has a really small grip which helps with new shooters with tiny hands. If you have a ham sammich for a hand like me, it's kinda hard to get good trigger control in my opinion.

If you're keyholing at that short distance I'd look carefully at your barrel and the ammo you're shooting out of it.

After a few mags of Winchester unjacketed ammo, mine was doing the same. Looked carefully and the lead had literally melted off the rounds and formed a "tighter" bore within the barrel. I was aghast that my baby had been so violated. We chunked out all the lead, I've been shooting nothing but CCI Minimags since, and it's great.

I'm sticking with jacketed in general from now on.

I own a OD green 5 inch p22 and just beat the crap out of it and it keeps on working like a dream. Its killed just as much shit as some of my rifles. I mainly just use walmart federal 550 packs but it will eat anything. It functions great with or without a can. I have 2 buddies that run 3.5 inch black walthers and the seem to be junk. One stumble fires every now and then and the other only runs in road gear. I've shot a few other 5 inch p22s and unless they were never cleaned they run just as good as mine.

There were some bad magazine floating around when the gun was first released. I swapped mine out for the "new generation" mags and had zero problems. Beware of mags at a cheap price and get the latest ones produced.

mine runs remington subsonics, various match ammo, cci subsonics, etc... but it's had a boat load of remington golden bullets through it. it's well broken in. pretty much eats anything i put in it.... just not that accurately.

Mine keeps on truckin...

Racoon001.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patrick Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tried mine with Wolf ME, FTE everytime. </div></div>
The manual, I believe, advises the shooter to use high velocity ammo. Although I have shot a lot of subsonic and standard vel thru mine with the suppressor on it.
If it doesn't feed with any type/brand of ammo just send it back to S&W. The problem would most likely be the magazine.</div></div>

Yes the manual does state that, my post was for the benefit of the OP. I only run Walmart Fed 550 bulk through mine.

Poor rac-a-ma-coon...

I've shot a few friend's P22's. One with a sweet can that got me hooked.
Nothing like suppressed fire to get the blood flowing.
My P22 should be here tomorrow.

Since we are sharing P22 experiences:

I often refer to my P22 as a toy that shoots bullets. I bought a P22 3.4" new a year ago, inspected it before i shot it and found that the zinc alloy slide already had a large dent in it on the from where it contacts the right rails. This was wear from the ONE shot that they did at the factory for the shell casing. I applied all of the fixes from the P22 Bible (except for the extractor peening) before shooting and the wear hasn't gotten much worse, but is still frighteningly faster than what i'm used to with a SS slide. If you look around the net you can see examples of people with cracked slides with less than a case of ammo through it. So I would definitely recommend to anyone who purchases a P22 to do the fixes from the bible.

I really dislike mine. The trigger is awful, the extractor is the worse I have ever seen from any gun in my life. I caution any women I let shoot it to either wear a t-shirt or jacket, or else they might get their boobs burnt from a casing going down their shirt; as probably 1 in 10 ejected casings hits me somewhere on my body. Eye protection is a MUST with this gun.
Even with following the suggestions from the P22 bible, the J-hook for the safety lock falls out of place all the time, so much so that I just took it out.
Just about the only luck I've had with mine is that it shoots as accurately as I expected and doesn't jab very much like others have complained about. I usually use Aguila hyper-velocity in it.

I haven't sold it and I'd like to think I keep it around just to remind myself that you get what you pay for, but after buying this gun I got a used Ruger MKII for about the same price and it is a tac-driver.

Just my two cents, but if I had to do it all over again, I would have just payed the extra $$$ and gotten a threaded Beretta 87. Now that is a great little 22lr pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patrick Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one that was built in '05, total POS when I got it. Ran like shit until I found the "P22 Bible" and tuned it up. Ran through 250 rounds of Wal-Mart Fed 550 bulk last weekend without a single problem. Before I worked it over it would not even run through a full mag of mini-mags. I think the only subs I have are Wolf ME, I'll give that stuff a shot this weekend and report back. Now that the gun runs I really like the little thing.

I have the short bbl and have not shot the 5" so I can't compare them, but I will tell you that I was hitting a 10"X6" steel plate at 25yds more often than not while in the seated postition last weekend. </div></div>

+ 1 on the p22 bible i read it did it and love my p22