• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Walther PPK/S .22 and Liberty Essence

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    Anyone use this combo? What do you think? Anyone compare it to a Ruger Mk2 perchance?

I just picked up this Liberty Essence on Sunday, and at 4 ounces, 6 inches long and 1 inch wide, easily breaks down for cleaning, it's damn quiet and hardly noticeable weight-wise on the end of this PPK/S. The PPK/S also functioned with all ammo I had available to try, both quality match ammo types and very cheap plinking ammo types, and it functioned equally as well with the can attached. Not sure if it'll cycle all regular .22 ammo, but it's off to a good start.

Fellow at the range literally thought I was firing an air gun until he saw it! Accuracy was dead on, right out of the box both with and without the suppressor. I'm talking one shot holes and touching 3 round groups regardless of ammo at 7 yards. Not bad for the first time out with both this pistol and this can, and I'm not a pistolero! Very impressed so far. Can't wait to SBR a 10/22 folder and get my wife her Volquartsen Scorpion/Mk2 pistol (which I of course want to use as well).

I'm so glad I didn't go with an integral, so thanks to all of you that helped me in this decision last year and talked me into getting a thread on instead, seriously, thanks. The Essence performs better than most integrals with only a couple custom rigs actually outperforming it (and I think Liberty uses the Essence core for their integral anyway). It's a damn fine piece of equipment, that's a fact, and I'm very happy with this suppressor on all fronts!

I have PPKs (.380and .22) , PPK/S , and TPHs (.22 and .25 ) for hosts , but I use SWR's Warlock , and other models than yours . The .22 rimfire suppresses best , as the action uses an unlocked breech .

Yeah, the PPK/S is pretty sweet suppressing the .22, and I love the size and the fact it's built well. Good to know about the .380. The SWR is pretty nice from what I hear, and it'll handle the FN 5.7 if you desire. Liberty says the Essence hasn't been rated for it *yet* but there's a chance it won't hold up to it when they do test it --that titanium tube is almost paper thin. Which is why I went with it, it's the lightest .22 can that doesn't use any aluminum.

Oh, Is there a better ammo for the PPK/S I should be aware of? It seems to cycle anything with or without the can.

Bottom line is I love my PPK/S for what it does, but my wife would like a nice, lightweight and accurate host where overall size isn't a question (but a 4" bbl. would be nice). A quiet one. She had her heart set on the Volquartsen Scorpion, but is there a better one perhaps? If not lighter, maybe more accurate? What about doing a Smith Model 41? Or an option less expensive with similar results?

i wonder if the PPK/S is more pleasant to shoot suppressed than my Beretta 71. The open top slide lends to a ton of blow back.

Any standard velocity .22 ammo will be quieter than high-velocity loads , with a sacrifice in range and terminal-velocity . Most suppressed firearms produce 'crack' and 'thump' . 'Crack' is the sound of the projectile breaking the sound barrier , 'thump' is the sound of the gas leaving the muzzle , and can also be out of the breech , in the case of (semi) automatics . Subsonic loads are offered by most ammo manufacturers , and can be pellet-gun quiet . Some are dirty to shoot , and may require more frequent cleaning . CCI Green-Tag is sold by GemTech under their logo . Aguila is also pretty quiet ; however , be aware that one of their subsonic loads uses a .22 Short-length case , with a very long lead projectile - the entire length is the same as a .22 Long . The problem is that it needs a 1-9 twist to stabilize , and it could tumble inside the silencer ... Your wife might like a Ruger . They offer several factory-threaded variations of their target pistol , one is sure to please . They are ready to 'plug n' play' , with a 1/2" x 28 thread . They offer a model with a lightweight polymer frame and a fluted barrel . 10-round mags for it are easy to find . It is pretty quiet , and is a standard for silenced .22 pistols . One model takes 1911 stocks , so you could personalize it for her ... The Ruger 10/22 is also available in a threaded model , and is also an industry standard .