• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Want a good RELIABLE battle rifle that shoots a bit better than my SCAR17

The Average Shooter

The Average Shooter
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2018
Virginia
Looking for a battle proven semi auto rifle with better accuracy than my scar 17 but just as reliable. Is this something that is a thing yet or should I just hang on to the scar? Obviously reliability is my main objective but would like a little better accuracy and potentially it come in 6.5 over .308/7.62. I have glanced at the LWRC, Wilson, Larue, and HK.

Lmt?

I've always heard that scars have more issues than the mws. Havent had either but am in the process of building an mws. I have never been disappointed in lmt, and their Ebolts are nothing short of amazing.

Also eager to see how that 18" 6mm arc shoots in a radian frame ar15

hk mr762?

hk-mr762lrpxfma1__42858.1588963704.500.750.jpg

Weight and length a factor? F4 Defense SF10.

Weight and length less of a factor? LMT or KAC, I prefer the shorter stainless barrels.

Nothing else is going to fit that role better.

Reactions: deersniper
Mine shoots one raged hole at 100, and a tite group 200 yards with 150 grain Hornady Super Performance SST factory loads.

I would look at the ammo, the barrel then the shooter. Anything else is 5lb heavier, especially an MWS.

I have a Barrett REC10. For having a 16" chrome-lined barrel, the thing shoots quite well for an AR-10. It has some of the features that put it a big step above generic guns; handguard is beefy and keyed to the receiver with good mounting system, the barrel is threaded in front of the gas block and the gas block is held in place by a large nut, it's fully ambidextrous, and it's lighter than a lot of other options. It's compatible with standard DPMS parts if I remember right, per Barrett.

I don't have a lot of time on it yet to say much on reliability. It has been very reliable with 147gr FMJ, but had a few fail-to-feeds with 168gr FGMM, looks to be a gas issue?

The MWS from LMT is a cool system that is well proven, but I didn't want a gun that weighed 12 pounds before adding the magazine, optic, light and sling.

The Knights SR-25 is the pinnacle option, and the price reflects that.

Reactions: hellishot
Do you shoot with a can? I have no experience myself, but I’m looking into an LMT and the biggest negative I’ve heard is that some people get a lot of gas in the face when shooting suppressed.

anything jp is normally super reliable and accurate. my jp ar has been 100% over a couple years of 2 & 3 gun matches. so has my lwrc piston ar.

The HK MR762 actually shoots remarkably well according to one of the reviews I saw on here, the guy said it shot better than his KAC..

The MR762A1s are intriguing; XRing on YouTube did a review on one and shot a one hole at 100; other video/online reviews show folks hitting at 800-1000 seemingly without too much difficulty.

HK’s proprietary nature with respect to parts would be the only thing that would give me pause about throwing money at one as my primary large frame (I have an ACC for that purpose) but would buy one to check it out as they typically bring equivalent funds upon resale in case I didn’t like it.

Reactions: Itsadryheat
Looking for a battle proven semi auto rifle with better accuracy than my scar 17 but just as reliable. Is this something that is a thing yet or should I just hang on to the scar? Obviously reliability is my main objective but would like a little better accuracy and potentially it come in 6.5 over .308/7.62. I have glanced at the LWRC, Wilson, Larue, and HK.

I'm not sure how your SCAR17 is shooting, but mine was MOA to sub-MOA 5-shot with good ammunition/reloads in 308 w/ the stock barrel. After rebarreling my 17 in 6.5mm CM, it's been even better (nicer barrel) and consistently sub-MOA. Not trying to dissuade you from trying something else, but what level of accuracy are you actually looking for?

I consider the LMT MWS mlok with a lightweight 13.5-16in barrel to be the best “battle rifle” without paying KAC money. Check out the MWS thread for some ideas.

Wow, i'm really surprised to see your post though of course interested to hear what platforms are favored.

A very good friend of mine has a SCAR 17 and it shoots beautifully and has been very reliable. We've only shot to 100 yards but it was very nice to shoot, handled so comfortably.

KAC is money for me. It’s one of the softest .308 semi I shot. I know it subjective but that’s how I perceive the recoil.

The Sig 716 G2 DMR was also adopted by the army for use as an SDM rifle according to wikipedia...

I'm looking at the B&T APC 308, but I don't know anyone that has one or anything about 'em other than they ain't cheap. ~$3k.

HK G28 is nice but why is it with HK shit it's always SO GODDAMN EXPENSIVE for something everyone else seems to be able to make just as well for 1/10th the cost, and then in the neutered or commie-safe version? I guess German mansions cost more than US ones, only thing I can fathom. Everytime I consider HK, I always walk away with 2 of something else instead.

The SR25 is the shit, if you want the battle rifle version you want the ACC --chrome lined, cut rifled barrel. Best of both worlds. I have the 20" APR but it's a different animal and 2lbs. heavier. It's expensive enough for proprietary shit and it's made in US, fuck HK.

Uh, Mk20? No-shit Jack AND master of all trades! Lots of folks are unloading SCAR's to get 'em. I was very impressed when I finally broke down and got one but I'm keeping my SR25 too. It's just a higher quality rifle, period. But for $3499 the Mk20 is impossible to beat.

If you want to PM me I can make an offer on your 17 maybe, but you may find that it's impossible now to recoup what you have in one now that the Mk20 is out.

So I ended up keeping the scar and picked up a 6.5CM barrel for it. I shoot a lot with a can. I probably shout pick up a super scar trigger as well but we will see. Thank you all for that advice. (Thinking about picking up a MWS as well)

There’s a factory 6.5CM barrel assembly for the 17S now? Or is there an aftermarket source of barrels with trunnions so you don’t have to sacrifice yours?

There’s a factory 6.5CM barrel assembly for the 17S now? Or is there an aftermarket source of barrels with trunnions so you don’t have to sacrifice yours?

Aftermarket. Has his own adjustable gas block. Deadshot is the name. See my above post, they are accurate. They are not pencil profile by default so reach out to him if you’re looking to stay super light, but you’ll sacrifice accuracy over longer strings of fire.

Deadshot was the first Google result, thanks. Sold my 17 long ago, so no interest beyond curiosity about the state of the platform.

So I ended up keeping the scar and picked up a 6.5CM barrel for it. I shoot a lot with a can. I probably shout pick up a super scar trigger as well but we will see. Thank you all for that advice. (Thinking about picking up a MWS as well)
i think that's a good choice. the scar-h is just so versatile with the ability to swap from a long range barrel to a short cqb configuration.

i think that's a good choice. the scar-h is just so versatile with the ability to swap from a long range barrel to a short cqb configuration.

Well, the thing is the Mk20 has done so well that there's talk of making the new five screw (I think only three go into the trunnion) the standard. Apparently that extra screw REALLY makes a difference? They're already calling the Mk20 the SCAR 20 like it's an evolution and not an option.

Now there's talk of a 16" version with a folder and basically bringing the CSR back. It never ends.

Noveske N6 with a switchport!

If Noveske had come out with that rifle when I asked 'em about it ten years ago, I may have bought one. But one SR25 slakes the .308 AR thirst awesomely and IMO is the pinnacle of AR technology --there is no better DI option. Though the N6 is probably gonna be a performer, I feel it came along too late to make much of an impact. Everyone that wants a high end AR has one for the most part. They've been my goto for SBR barrels forever though.

I know the feeling, the hunger for more fire power, You are leaning into the Full auto world.

I have a Barrett REC10. For having a 16" chrome-lined barrel, the thing shoots quite well for an AR-10. It has some of the features that put it a big step above generic guns; handguard is beefy and keyed to the receiver with good mounting system, the barrel is threaded in front of the gas block and the gas block is held in place by a large nut, it's fully ambidextrous, and it's lighter than a lot of other options. It's compatible with standard DPMS parts if I remember right, per Barrett.

I don't have a lot of time on it yet to say much on reliability. It has been very reliable with 147gr FMJ, but had a few fail-to-feeds with 168gr FGMM, looks to be a gas issue?

The MWS from LMT is a cool system that is well proven, but I didn't want a gun that weighed 12 pounds before adding the magazine, optic, light and sling.

The Knights SR-25 is the pinnacle option, and the price reflects that.
How’s the recoil impulse on the Rec10 compared to LMT and Kac?

I can only compare mine with Armalite and hand built. To me it is as smooth as my Armalites and lower recoil than both, with muzzle break even better. Have not had any reliability issues up to this point, about 2000 round count.

Hopefully colt brings back the cm762 as they have told people they would. It is very lightweight and well balanced. Weighs 8.4 lbs on my scale but feels lighter. Like all colts, it is very accurate and must have some high quality steel used for the barrel.

How’s the recoil impulse on the Rec10 compared to LMT and Kac?
I couldn't say, I have not shot an LMT or KAC before. The REC10 does have a good amount of gas and runs my 145grn PPU well, but has had some feeding issues with 168grn FGMM, prior to breaking in. I took it out and ran 200 rounds through it last weekend to get it broken in and it is running a lot nicer now than when it was fresh. Going straight to shooting match ammo in an AR-10 without break-in was probably the issue, I heard they need break-in and yet I didn't do it until now.

As to recoil it's not a fun gun to shoot stock because the Magpul stock that comes with it is trash. Hard to use with a bag, little padding. I'm thinking of what stock I want to put on it to make it a better gun. I think an adjustable gas block would be good for this gun, but it was made to be reliable over being comfortable.

I recent
l Recently sold my 17 to build Up a lmt mws in 6.5. Divesting from .308 entirely.

its not a battle rifle, more of a precision sws.

after owning just about everything on the market, the LMT was an easy choice for quality and value. As much as i love KAC, the sr25 is not worth 2k more and its debatable side by side being a better gun. Quick change inexpensive barrels with the lmt really pull ahead of the sr25 imo.

My gun collection is slowly becoming an Lmt armory. Here are a few of my mws.
Canteen has a 13.5 mams welded brake in 308
Black has an 18 inch 5r barrel.

Accuracy is slightly better than my scar and imo they excel in the Dmr role with their heavier profile barrel than the scar.
The issue I have with my scar is after a mag dump or two I have a good amount of point of aim shift due to the pencil barrel.

Attachments

• FF979EDB-B146-4F43-B2EA-342CB07D0D78.jpeg
    FF979EDB-B146-4F43-B2EA-342CB07D0D78.jpeg
    503.4 KB · Views: 312
I need to decide on an optic for the 20" 6.5CM MWS. Already have a 34MM arc so its going to be 34MM.

I recent

l Recently sold my 17 to build Up a lmt mws in 6.5. Divesting from .308 entirely.

its not a battle rifle, more of a precision sws.

after owning just about everything on the market, the LMT was an easy choice for quality and value. As much as i love KAC, the sr25 is not worth 2k more and its debatable side by side being a better gun. Quick change inexpensive barrels with the lmt really pull ahead of the sr25 imo.

As somebody who owns both Kac and LMT 308's as well as a Scar, i agree with much of this. I regards to the issued large frame gas guns, Kac,LMT,HK, and FN make really good rifles.

While I can acknowledge, that the LMT rifles are heaviest in class, I really don't think that weight is as big of a factor as some would let on. If you would take a striped down Scar 17, and weight it against the Mloc MWS with LW barrel you are going to see the difference in weight is only going to be about 8 to 10oz. But keep in mind that this is with a Full length hand guard, vs the Scars carbine length handguard.

If one wanted to drop in a longer handguard from say KDG, that difference between the two weapons shrinks to 4 to 6 oz
If one wanted to drop the LMT SOPMOD for say something like the Magul SLk stock, that difference shrinks from 2 to 4oz

People too often compare the base 1913 railed version of the MWS with the 16 inch CL barrel that looks like it was pulled from a 240 against the Scar with pencil barrel and echo OMG, such a pig, that will get you killed in the streets.

The thing is that I can take an MWS, drop a heavy 6.5cm barrel in it in about 60 seconds, slide on a DMR type stock and have a legit, factory supported long range gas gun. I am going to need to do this in the field on the fly, no, but think that its nice to be able to say, hey, you know what, this weekend, I am going to do some carbine stuff, drop the LW 13.5, mount a LPVO or RDS and rock and roll and the very next week say, hey you know what, we are heading out to the mountains, so I am going to mount the 20 inch 6.5.

I don't think the MWS is the best large frame AR on the market. I think for Combat guns, the ACC is more refined, I think for commercial guns, its hard to beat a tuned JP for the load that you are shooting, but because it can be configure to for what ever i need it to so, I am a really big fan.

I was really looking forward to the SCAR20 in 6.5CM. Fixes some of the issues with a heavier barrel that doesn't heat up as fast, and a better rail/stock. It was going to end up costing $1K more, take who knows how long to get one, Have to deal with the issues of suppressors voiding warranty and replacement barrels from FN have always been short supply and stupid expensive.

I was able to piece together a full LMT MWS MARSH for just under $3K. The only thing I am waiting on is the barrel, which should be here by December. Granted LMT will be very difficult to source over the next couple years, I get a factory support , cheap replacebale barrels and commonality with other rifles like the SR25. We know the LMT 6.5 barrels are hammers so its kinda a confidence thing. The only downside is the LMT 2 stage sucks, so I ordered a striped lower and LPK so I can drop my own trigger in there, a G Hspeed NM.

Have had the SCAR17 for going on 8 years. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Swore I would never sell it. For a lightweight battle rifle, I don't thing there is a better gun on the planet. Accurate, reliable, great mounting options, stupid low recoil and light. However .308 had its day and is obsolete as a cartridge. If FN had offered a factoey 6.5CM 17 back in the day I would never have sold it. FN is notoriously slow coming out with new products and is very slow to update platforms. Hell they never released factory FN SPR in 6.5CM, so that tells you how much they care. I have much more faith in LMT supporting their guns and product line, along with being able to use commerical parts if needed in a pinch.

A SR25 in 6.5 would have been nice but they are impossible to find, $2k+ more expensive and don't have a cheap/easy way to swap barrels, requiring a trip back to Florida for a rebarrel that is stupid expensive.

The HK is a nice gun, and they are known shooters. Also will hold their value well however they don't make it in 6.5CM, which is a deal breaker. Spare parts stockpiling will also be an issue with parts that exceed KAC in price. HKUSA support is fantastic despite what retards on the internet parrot, but being able to fix my own shit is a requirement.

JP makes nice guns but they are game guns. I tend to buy combat proven platforms and when it comes to Big Frame AR's/SCAR there are only 4 (SR25, LMT, SCAR, HK762). JP is also $1K more than LMT which is another factor.

Seekins SP10 was also in the running due to cost. I almost bought one from V1 for $2500 when I realized I could piece together a full LMT with updated BCG, upper and lower for a few hundo more. It was a no brainier.

Plan to run hot 6.5 loads with RL26 through this so the LMT's beefier construction and bolt enhancements should help with reliability and extraction of hot loads. If I end up wrecking the barrel, just order a new one and swap myself saving weeks/months and about $1k.

The downside to the LMT IMO is the gas system. Its going to be overgassed and shoot a bit harsher than a SR25 or a tuned SCAR. I think in a large frame its less of an issue and all things being considered, its an acceptable compromise when you look at the pros. Maybe bootleg will come out with a adjustable carrier for the large frame that would work with their enchanced bolt. That would be something.

Reactions: GUNNER10
FN makes battle rifles and 6.5 cm have not made into the military rosters yet, being NATO militaries. So a few thousand nerds is not too attractive for them. However they are offering a 6.5 scar20 so that is a start.

I was really looking forward to the SCAR20 in 6.5CM. Fixes some of the issues with a heavier barrel that doesn't heat up as fast, and a better rail/stock. It was going to end up costing $1K more, take who knows how long to get one, Have to deal with the issues of suppressors voiding warranty and replacement barrels from FN have always been short supply and stupid expensive.

I was able to piece together a full LMT MWS MARSH for just under $3K. The only thing I am waiting on is the barrel, which should be here by December. Granted LMT will be very difficult to source over the next couple years, I get a factory support , cheap replacebale barrels and commonality with other rifles like the SR25. We know the LMT 6.5 barrels are hammers so its kinda a confidence thing. The only downside is the LMT 2 stage sucks, so I ordered a striped lower and LPK so I can drop my own trigger in there, a G Hspeed NM.

Have had the SCAR17 for going on 8 years. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Swore I would never sell it. For a lightweight battle rifle, I don't thing there is a better gun on the planet. Accurate, reliable, great mounting options, stupid low recoil and light. However .308 had its day and is obsolete as a cartridge. If FN had offered a factoey 6.5CM 17 back in the day I would never have sold it. FN is notoriously slow coming out with new products and is very slow to update platforms. Hell they never released factory FN SPR in 6.5CM, so that tells you how much they care. I have much more faith in LMT supporting their guns and product line, along with being able to use commerical parts if needed in a pinch.

A SR25 in 6.5 would have been nice but they are impossible to find, $2k+ more expensive and don't have a cheap/easy way to swap barrels, requiring a trip back to Florida for a rebarrel that is stupid expensive.

The HK is a nice gun, and they are known shooters. Also will hold their value well however they don't make it in 6.5CM, which is a deal breaker. Spare parts stockpiling will also be an issue with parts that exceed KAC in price. HKUSA support is fantastic despite what retards on the internet parrot, but being able to fix my own shit is a requirement.

JP makes nice guns but they are game guns. I tend to buy combat proven platforms and when it comes to Big Frame AR's/SCAR there are only 4 (SR25, LMT, SCAR, HK762). JP is also $1K more than LMT which is another factor.

Seekins SP10 was also in the running due to cost. I almost bought one from V1 for $2500 when I realized I could piece together a full LMT with updated BCG, upper and lower for a few hundo more. It was a no brainier.

Plan to run hot 6.5 loads with RL26 through this so the LMT's beefier construction and bolt enhancements should help with reliability and extraction of hot loads. If I end up wrecking the barrel, just order a new one and swap myself saving weeks/months and about $1k.

The downside to the LMT IMO is the gas system. Its going to be overgassed and shoot a bit harsher than a SR25 or a tuned SCAR. I think in a large frame its less of an issue and all things being considered, its an acceptable compromise when you look at the pros. Maybe bootleg will come out with a adjustable carrier for the large frame that would work with their enchanced bolt. That would be something.

While I think FN's quality and engineering are top notch, They are an odd firm to say the least and here are just a few things that have made me scratch my head over the past ten years or so with FN.

1980's 30 cal barrel twist, There barrels shoot, no question about it, but bullet designs have become more efficient and it would be nice to see FN produce a barrel that took new projectiles into account.
Why can I buy a M240L Stock but not a Mk20 Stock?
Why is the Scar considered modular but I have to consider a Mk20 to get something chambered in a modern cartridge?
If the Mk20 barrel attachment method is better than the Mk17, is the Mk17 barrel assembly obsolete? if not, why does the Mk20 exist?
Why is that that FN had more than enough time and energy to make a closed bolt 249 but the Scar 17s stock still looks like a dollar store ugg boot.
In regards to the LMT 6.5 barrel, I would not worry about it being overgassed, I've had 5 MWS barrels, 13.5 SS, 16cl,18SS 308, 20CL 308, 20SS 6.5CM

I would consider the carbine barrels to be over gassed and sensitive to silencer selection, where as the 18 to 20 inch barrels have never had any issues running a full size can. The Full size Gemtech can that caused harsh recoil and FTF/FTE's had zero issues with the longer barrels. My 13.5 now wears a sandman K and is good to go.

In regards to recoil, that is somewhat subjective but I perceive my MWS with Dead Air break to be close in recoil and impulse to the ACC with factory FH. But both offering a noticeably smoother impulse than the Scar 17 with Factory brake. I would not in any way say that i would say that the Scar's recoil is harsh but just weird.

The Mk17 CQC's that we tested with the AAC FH were probably the most violent/uncontrollable rifles that we ever messed around with at the time. Apparently Sig found this out and promptly said hold my bear for their large frame rifle in development/testing.

I would not right off FN, I still think the platform has a ton of potential, but when Knights is standing up a whole barrel division to handle barrel swaps, FN does make one scratch their head sometimes.

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
FN makes battle rifles and 6.5 cm have not made into the military rosters yet, being NATO militaries. So a few thousand nerds is not too attractive for them. However they are offering a 6.5 scar20 so that is a start.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that I think there may by more people interested in a 6.5 barrel for the Scar than an 8000 dollar, 15lb Closed bolt 249.

The Mk17's 6.5 barrel already exist, they just have to go over to the barrel machine and touch start.

SOCOM is already switching to 6.5CM and 300NM where they can. Its better late than never.

Problem without factory support/parts, you void your warranty.

My first (and only) Scar is the 20. Wanted a semi 762 for the collection and bought one on a whim. It has made a believer out of me Re semis. With Mk316, Sig 175 OTM, PMC Match 168s and FGMM 168s, it just flat shoots. Great trigger, ergos are good and knocks down surprisingly small groups. Averages .6s-.7s most days. Can cherry pick some groups in the .5s Can't really ask for more than that with a factory stick shooting factory ammo. Below was 200m and Mk316
Now if FN would just release those 6.5 barrels.....
20200706_201117.jpg

shot_1540446069100.jpg

My first (and only) Scar is the 20. Wanted a semi 762 for the collection and bought one on a whim. It has made a believer out of me Re semis. With Mk316, Sig 175 OTM, PMC Match 168s and FGMM 168s, it just flat shoots. Great trigger, ergos are good and knocks down surprisingly small groups. Averages .6s-.7s most days. Can cherry pick some groups in the .5s Can't really ask for more than that with a factory stick shooting factory ammo. Below was 200m and Mk316
View attachment 7392284
what size optic is that NF? 5-25?

View attachment 7392284
View attachment 7392283
How does the 20 balance when you're running around with it? Does it swing heavy like the MWS or is it handy feeling like the 17? I'd assume somewhere in between.