• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Want an affordable spotting scope, help?

CleanMoostang

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2010
Eastern KY
Not looking to spend a lot of money, just want something I can use maybe out to around 500yards.

I know that quality means cash and I dont mind spending a little.

If I can see my AR500 target good enough to tell where the rounds are hitting, Ill be happy.

Re: Want an affordable spotting scope, help?

The Burris XTS is an excellent scope for the money. I bought one and was very pleased with it. The glass was good but on higher magnification things got a little blurry.

Try and find one of the older Green textured Balscope Sr's. They are pretty damn clear and a nice one usually under $300 with a couple different power eye pieces. The 60X isn't real clear but works ok for deer etc on a clear winter day. Not the fancy schmancy(gotta be how it's spelt huh?
smile.gif
) high speed low drag of German glass but alot better than most of the mid priced 3rd world glass IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bushnell Spacemaster. </div></div>
+1 on the Spacemaster.

I've been very surprised by the Konus 20-60x80 very decent as long as your expectations are.

I have a burris 15-45, was 210? with a nice tripod. It has problems with glare especially on higher magnification so I made a ghetto sunshade with a piece of cardboard. It looks like crap but works fine and is pretty clear. If I were to do it again I would go vortex though and get something in the 20-60 range with an angled eyepiece.

+ 1 for the Bushnell Excursion
I have a new one I have only used a couple of times. But am happy with it so far. I used it yesterday mourning and could see 30cal holes in the white part of the target at 500yds before the mirage got bad. The mil dot reticle is fun to play with too. I thought the reticle maybe a hindrance to following the bullet trace into the target but it wasn't . I am pleased with mine for the money.

I have a bushnell excursion 80MM and it is great. I really enjoy it. I have thought about selling it a time or two but keep talking myself out of it.

At my local CMP shoot this past Sunday one of the shooters was using a 20-60x80 Konus and at 200 yards his target was clear as a bell. I think the gentleman said he paid about $200 for it. PAT.

Nikon Earth and Sky 15-45x -

I've been using one for 12 years now.

Find a good used for for $100.

I've used it on the 1000 yard range down at Ft lewis, 1200 yards out in the clear cuts.

Works great.

Just bought a Konus Konospot-80 and have to say my initial impression is quite impressive!

Another +1 for the Konus, the included tripod is a little on the cheap side, but the glass is great.

Alpen gets no love here but give them a thought. Longer eye relief than Konus according to specs, quite light and small. For under 2 bills I thought this was a steal. I had no problems seeing 308 holes to around 400. I was thinking of a green ring Leupy but side by side, Alpen was way better at full power for half the cost.

I now have the Bushnell Excursion. It has better glass the Alpen and of course mildot which is the reason I bought it but its very heavy, short eye relief, rubber eye cup irritates me and the power ring is very stiff, especially in the cold, at below zero, basically stuck where it is.

I have the Bushnell excursion and love it. Mainly for the reticle I will admit. I've used a Leupold with a Horus reticle and I would say that the Bushnell is 95% of the Leupold.

I am thinking between the FLP Excursion with the Mildot or a US Optics Spotter with Gen 2 Mildot to match my reticle. I am spoiled by high end optics on my rifle and I would hate to get the cheaper Bushnell and be disappointed. Anyone out there with experience with both of those scopes and high end glass like a S&B or Premier that could shed some light on this decision. I would prefer the same reticle in my spotter as my optic which is Gen 2 Mildot, but if the price jump on the USO Spotter isn't worth it, that wouldn't be a big deal to me. What is probably the more important aspect is the resolution and clarity on higher magnification. I have a Leupold Sequoia 20 - 60 right now and it is terrible. Focus is crap and never really seems to clear up, the glass is dim and is all around a disappointment. I have come to the conclusion that I don't need 60 power, and want to scale back to 40 to 45 with better clarity and resolution.

Anyone have insight into what I would probably be happier with in the long run between the Excursion or the USO Spotter? Like I said, clarity and resolution with a mildot is most important but I would prefer the Gen 2 Mildot the USO provides, but if the price increase doesn't deliver far superior clarity / resolution to get me closer to what I am accustomed to from my Premier, then I would be more than happy with the Bushnell. So, would the glass on the Bushnell be a disappointment to me in respect to my PH 3-15x50 or should I pony up to the USO spotter?

Apologies for not responding sooner, but I have only used the Vortex scope for targets out to 300 yards, and it has been excellent

I have a Burris XTS. But I rarely use it. I find the eye box to be very small. and when cranked to 75X, the image is useless.

I see some of you guys like this Burris. Would you like to buy mine to keep as backup?
smile.gif

I just placed an order on the Bushnell Excursion FLP. I hope I like it.