• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Want jbmballistics for PC

sniperaviator

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Colorado
I use jbmballistics online and would like to take my portable with me to the range. No internet there, need stand alone jbm or similar program.

Re: Want jbmballistics for PC

Or be reasonable and keep the PC, but do consider a portable device like a Touch or an Android phone (there's Shooter for that OS).

Get a cell phone that has internet access, then just dial up JBM and run it at the range.

But consider those times when you won't have access to cellular service. (Of course these things also have to be kept charged).

Shoot your rifle at known distances and conditions, log info.
Make JBM match your known dope, then print DA cards. Done.

Good to go for anywhere you can shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use jbmballistics online and would like to take my portable with me to the range. No internet there, need stand alone jbm or similar program. </div></div>

Do you need JBM at the range? with a user name like that you'd think a guy'd have some KD data logged....

I have made several attempts and even resorted to leeching the entire website but never can seem to get all the bits and pieces necessary to make it work offline. And I'm usually pretty good at that sort of thing.

There's plenty of free apps available that aren't web-based but I've not come across any that come close to matching JBM's numbers. I use QuickTarget when I'm offline, and it is very close but that's not a freeware.

If your G**gle's broke, you might try Point Blank v.1.8.

I also want JBM for download because it's the only calc I have found (including several that you have to pay for, some quite expensive) that I like and I'm worried that it might disappear off the internet forever some day
frown.gif

If the dude who owns JBM is reading this, I will literally give you money if you can give me a way of downloading JBM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...If the dude who owns JBM is reading this, I will literally give you money if you can give me a way of downloading JBM </div></div>
Coming soon to a theater near you!

Umm, it's already been mentioned that Ballistic FTE can use the JBM ballistic engine. So, with that program loaded on an Iphone, or an Itouch, you already have that capability without having to haul a P.C. to the range. And it's a standalone program, so it works even with no cellular coverage.

In other words, it's already in the theater.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also want JBM for download because it's the only calc I have found (including several that you have to pay for, some quite expensive) that I like and I'm worried that it might disappear off the internet forever some day
frown.gif

If the dude who owns JBM is reading this, I will literally give you money if you can give me a way of downloading JBM </div></div>

You can download the version 2.1 files and run them on your PC - you just have to know how to compile C code, host CGI files, and run a webserver that will display those CGI files on your PC. My linux phone (Nokia N900) does this just fine.
smile.gif

Alternately, go buy the Nightforce ballistics app for your PC. I know the engine is different but plenty of people trust their app. It's $60 or so. You can find it on OpticsPlanet.

Or just wait for the ballisticomp device from JBM - that's what I'm waiting for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also want JBM for download because it's the only calc I have found (including several that you have to pay for, some quite expensive) that I like and I'm worried that it might disappear off the internet forever some day
frown.gif

If the dude who owns JBM is reading this, I will literally give you money if you can give me a way of downloading JBM </div></div>

It's not going to disappear any time soon. The problem with downloading it as it's been stated it requires a web server to run it.

The offer of money is nice, but in my opinion, the portable ballistics solutions miss the mark. I want a solution that incorporates the atmospheric temperature and pressure automatically which is why I'm making BallistiComp (slowly but surely). I made some hits with it yesterday at 1012 yards (laser range finder) and it was right on. This was in shooting in wind at about 30 degrees less than my zero temperature.

Brad (JBM)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have made several attempts and even resorted to leeching the entire website but never can seem to get all the bits and pieces necessary to make it work offline. And I'm usually pretty good at that sort of thing.</div></div>

You can't leech a CGI script (or compiled code) or, for that matter, any properly written and protected servers-side web page, e.g. PHP, ASP, ASPX.

Brad, here's a question

Can you add a 'killing window' column to the JBM trajectory calculator.

Basically like the MPBR thing but for each distance... giving ranges for that distance that the impact will be within a certain window

ie

range killing window (+-4")

400 350-450
500 470-530
600 780-620

made up numbers but the general idea

Basically a point blank range but for every range that the calc gives results for not just the zero range

I'm doing a terrible job of explaining this

That just seems like too much extraneous info. You already know that, depending on the size of the target (animal, I'm assuming) what the "kill window" is, e.g. 10" on a deer. So why not just focus on the one number (drop) that will, theoretically, place you precisely on target? At shorter ranges, e.g. under 300-400 yards, you're within your margin of error without any thought required.

At longer ranges, bullet drops become so drastic that it would be of little use, e.g. the kill window @ 600 yards would be more like 590-610 yards rather than 580-620. It's so tight at that point you really ought to be using a rangefinder.

Brad,

Too bad you can't bring back your old "On Target" ballistic program you put out in the 90's for PC's.

The best ballistic program written for PC's is the RSI Ballistic Lab by Jim Ristow. Like JBM this program is top notch, easy to use and has tools other programs don't. It also runs virtually the exact same mathematical ballistic models and calculations as the JBM online program. Like Brad at JBM, Jim Ristow is scary smart when it comes to ballistics.

Hope it helps,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brad, here's a question

Can you add a 'killing window' column to the JBM trajectory calculator.

Basically like the MPBR thing but for each distance... giving ranges for that distance that the impact will be within a certain window

ie

range killing window (+-4")

400 350-450
500 470-530
600 780-620

made up numbers but the general idea

Basically a point blank range but for every range that the calc gives results for not just the zero range

I'm doing a terrible job of explaining this </div></div>

Which calculator are you talking about? I'm not sure there's any room on the trajectory cards, but I could add "danger space" to the other calculators.

I appreciate you going to the effort of adding this, Brad - but in a "know your limits" way. As far as hunting is concerned, I would consider the Target Height to be double the Vital Zone Radius, e.g. 8" for an antelope. So at 500 yards (the most I'd consider taking even a semi-ethical, ego-driven shot) there is little room for error. My particular ballistics profile would only allow +- 13 yards.

At ranges beyond 300 yards, it is rare not to have to to actually use a rangefinder to establish the distance. Yes, it can be hard to target an animal or even find an adjacent object large enough to get a good reading. But if you can, you would be better off using a precise aim point. There is enough error induced, even in a sub-MOA rifle with anally-loaded handloads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I appreciate you going to the effort of adding this, Brad - but in a "know your limits" way. As far as hunting is concerned, I would consider the Target Height to be double the Vital Zone Radius, e.g. 8" for an antelope. So at 500 yards (the most I'd consider taking even a semi-ethical, ego-driven shot) there is little room for error. My particular ballistics profile would only allow +- 13 yards.

At ranges beyond 300 yards, it is rare not to have to to actually use a rangefinder to establish the distance. Yes, it can be hard to target an animal or even find an adjacent object large enough to get a good reading. But if you can, you would be better off using a precise aim point. There is enough error induced, even in a sub-MOA rifle with anally-loaded handloads. </div></div>

I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you suggesting that this is some kind of substitute for knowing the range? I'm not sure how you would get there -- I guess I'm confused...

Thanks Brad, that's exactly what I was after!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I appreciate you going to the effort of adding this, Brad - but in a "know your limits" way. As far as hunting is concerned, I would consider the Target Height to be double the Vital Zone Radius, e.g. 8" for an antelope. So at 500 yards (the most I'd consider taking even a semi-ethical, ego-driven shot) there is little room for error. My particular ballistics profile would only allow +- 13 yards.

At ranges beyond 300 yards, it is rare not to have to to actually use a rangefinder to establish the distance. Yes, it can be hard to target an animal or even find an adjacent object large enough to get a good reading. But if you can, you would be better off using a precise aim point. There is enough error induced, even in a sub-MOA rifle with anally-loaded handloads. </div></div>

I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you suggesting that this is some kind of substitute for knowing the range? I'm not sure how you would get there -- I guess I'm confused... </div></div>
I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that calculating a Danger Zone is not useful for hunting because vital zones are small (even on an elk). If an animal is that far away, then it is crucial to know exactly what the distance is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that calculating a Danger Zone is not useful for hunting because vital zones are small (even on an elk). If an animal is that far away, then it is crucial to know exactly what the distance is. </div></div>

I agree with that. I look at my website as being about education -- I like to add things like this because it helps people understand. You and I agree about knowing the range accurately (a point that Bryan Litz makes in his book), but with this addition, maybe other people will understand just how critical it is.

Thanks!

Brad