• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Want muzzle brake for tikka ctr cal 223

charliebrown1999

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2018
Just ordered new Tikka CTR 24 inch threaded bbl cal 223. The barrel is threaded 5/8 x24. Will the Gamma vg6 65 bbss do a good job even though it has a 6.5mm hole????? I do not like the muzzle brake that Tikka recommends.

Just ordered new Tikka CTR 24 inch threaded bbl cal 223. The barrel is threaded 5/8 x24. Will the Gamma vg6 65 bbss do a good job even though it has a 6.5mm hole????? I do not like the muzzle brake that Tikka recommends.

Would you put on size 13 shoes if you wore size 10 and expect the same results?

Get the right tool for the job and get the best results.

Reactions: Charlie112
A 6.5 brake will work fine. The larger the hole the less effective the brake will be. That said a 223 has very little to recoil begin with. A 6mm straight jacket armory shot caller is what I prefer on my 223 rifles.

Before I suppressed my .223 T3 w/ an X-Caliber barrel, I had my Area 419 Hellfire brake on it, it worked like a champ. The sight picture barely moved when shooting it off of sandbags

A 6.5 brake will work fine. The larger the hole the less effective the brake will be. That said a 223 has very little to recoil begin with. A 6mm straight jacket armory shot caller is what I prefer on my 223 rifles.
what is a 6mm straight jacket armory shot caller?

cannot find a 5/8x24 muzzle break with a 224 hole except for the ugly mother that tikka is trying to sell

cannot find a 5/8x24 muzzle break with a 224 hole except for the ugly mother that tikka is trying to sell

If my bolt 223 has threads it gets a can, not a muzzle brake or just wears a thread protector.

Why do you even want a brake on a 223? It’s got no recoil.

But if that’s your jam, that’s your jam. Get one of these:

i got a brake on my 223, the purpose it serves is to protect the crown. qd stud tapped my back and detached sending my barrel backwards into the ground. no damage other than slight scratching of the ceracoat i then decided to have threads cut for a brake to protect the crown before re-coating it. now its loud as fuck, thats the only downside. now i have to wear hearing protection at night when i go hunting, before the brake i only used earpro during the day. yes i know it doesnt make sense but it was nowhere near as loud at night as it was during the day.

Any theories as to why it was louder when shooting during the day vs night time shooting? That’s the first time I’ve heard of that.

Hello charliebrown1999,

First, the "Gamma vg6 65 bbss" will work. Secondly, it really comes down to your personal preference. For me, I have used both the APA Gen1 and Gen2 brakes, and I recommend them to others. I'm sure the Gen3 listed below will do a nice job on your Tikka.

-California

Another vote for a 419 Hellfire. I have them on both .223 and .260. Also makes mounting a suppressor simple.

And really? Quieter at night?

I’m not a engineer but that’s what I was told by Josh at Patriot Valley arms.

In my engineering mind, it seems that there should be an inverse relationship between the chamber volume and recoil reduction for a fixed gas volume but anything related to this is going to be a complex analysis.

The muzzle brake industry is cottage, I doubt any of the makers have sunk the money needed to do the necessary simulations and analysis to fully understand how it all works together. So we're just left with rules of thumb and empirical tests but incomplete understanding.

Reactions: Harman117

What is the one that Tikka suggest that you keep referencing?

Area419 and American Precision are the 2 most popular around here and both come in that thread pitch for 223

The precision rifle blog posted some of his collected data on muzzle brakes.

If you scroll down a bit he only recorded a 1-3% difference in recoil between using a caliber specific brake vs a larger caliber one.

This has been the only "data" I've seen on this subject (I didn't look hard)

You can go ahead and use that Gamma brake and you'll be fine. I wouldn't spend another ~$100 for a caliber specific brake.

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate
The precision rifle blog posted some of his collected data on muzzle brakes.

If you scroll down a bit he only recorded a 1-3% difference in recoil between using a caliber specific brake vs a larger caliber one.

This has been the only "data" I've seen on this subject (I didn't look hard)

You can go ahead and use that Gamma brake and you'll be fine. I wouldn't spend another ~$100 for a caliber specific brake.
Harman 117, thank you for the research. As you advise I will proceed with the Gamma in 6.5. A 1-3 % difference is insignificant and the extra $100 could be better spent on a scope.

Harman 117, thank you for the research. As you advise I will proceed with the Gamma in 6.5. A 1-3 % difference is insignificant and the extra $100 could be better spent on a scope.

No problem, all I did was link someone else's work!

Note: That 1-3% figure is his results for the calibers and rifles he tested, not absolute across the board for other rifles/calibers. (But it still suggests that the improvement of a caliber specific brake is very small) It would be cool if they did make a .224 Gamma brake in that thread size. You could do a blind test yourself and see if you could discern any differences.

*And good choice increasing scope budget. Which scope are you thinking?

Last edited:
No problem, all I did was link someone else's work!

Note: That 1-3% figure is his results for the calibers and rifles he tested, not absolute across the board for other rifles/calibers. (But it still suggests that the improvement of a caliber specific brake is very small) It would be cool if they did make a .224 Gamma brake in that thread size. You could do a blind test yourself and see if you could concern any differences.

*And good choice increasing scope budget. Which scope are you thinking?
Maybe Athlon 6x24x50 Midas tac

Any theories as to why it was louder when shooting during the day vs night time shooting? That’s the first time I’ve heard of that.
I could be totally wrong but what I understand it as is perceived volume. I notice it the most when listening to music; at night what sounds loud to me is a lower volume than what feels like the same loud if I listen to music during the day. Best explanation I can come up with is that during the day you are generally subjected to more/louder sounds so your ears are less sensitive (similar to smell, the longer you are around it eventually you stop being able to smell it), versus during the night your environment is quieter and what sounds there are are generally softer, so your ears become more sensitive and thus a sound is perceived as louder than what it would be during the day