• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Want to buy a new custom rifle

emt_jaybird

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2011
Katy, TX
OK, looking for help here. So, I'm going to have Aaron Roberts from Houston, TX area build me a new rifle but need some help deciding on a couple of things. So here we go:

1. I want to get involved with long range precision shooting and want a caliber that is effective. I have a 2 .308's already so that caliber is out. Aaron told me about a .260 and 6.5 creedmor.

2. So which one? .260 or 6.5? I don't know enough about either caliber. What do you all think?

3.I want to use the rifle to hunt as well. I live in Texas and get to shoot white tail deer, hogs and on occasion have an axis deer. My dream hunts are elk and moose so I don't know if either of those 2 calibers would do the trick or not. I may just need to buy a bigger cal hunting rifle off the shelf. But we will see.

4. I like the tactical stock look a lot and have a Manners T4A stock on the TR rifle. I have not looked at the McMillan stocks or any other stocks. I do know that Manners came out with a very light weight stock, but it's a typical hunting stock. I'm not 100% for it, but am not sure if the lightweight stock would not do well with the long range shooting.

5. Last thing...scope. I want a tactical scope. I like them after having had a Bushnell then upgrading to a nightforce. I have a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 ZS - .250 MOA - Mil Dot. Aaron advised me to go to a scope that measures in mil not MOA. I have no objection to that. However, I am open to going with another scope maker. These are the ones that he deals in. Kahles, Leica, Leupold, Nightforce, Steiner, Schmidt Bender, Swarovski, Vortex, and Zeiss. What are your recommendations and why?

I look forward to your replies. You guys always have interesting things to say.

Last edited:
6.5 if you dont reload, .260 if you do. Both calibers would be fine on deer and pigs, theres guys on here who also hunt bigger game with them such as elk with great performance.

Mcmillan and Manners both have really nice offerings, quality on both is superb.

What is your price range on a scope? Any specific features youd like?

Few questions, what is the average range you expect to shoot? How big of a concern is weight? While you think about those here would be my preferred setup for what you have mentioned above:

260, it will serve you well on most game you intend to hunt. Elk for sure but Moose and Bear not at all preferred. Manners T3 for stock. Good ergonomics for the shooter, wide fore end for bags or pack rest and not bulky. Nightforce scope mil/mil. The caliber will take you out to 1400 no problem. If you don't reload, the 6.5 CM has cheaper factory offerings.

I went through the same thing, I ended up having Mark Gordon at SAC build me a 6.5cm. I'm more than happy with it and I'm gathering very similar parts for a 223ackley right now.
Stiller tac30 action
Manners eh-1 w/mini chassis
Bartlein md palma
Jewell trigger
And a nf f1 w/mlr2

I like the mil dot reticle, but it must be in mil/mil. I want something that will perform well and not be outdated quickly. Price range isn't established at this point, but I spent $1900 on the last Night force I bought. I'm the kind of guy that doesn't mind spending a little more IF i can see a difference. I don't just want more "gear" at this point. I know things change so much from year to year, so I'm looking at anything that would be very functional but dependable.

Right on with 260 for reloading 6.5 if not with the right bullet a 260 is GTG for elk not sure on moose although a 140 through the boiler room should do the job.

This may be off the path a bit but i was told to build a 284 winchester and im sold it bucks wind great and loaded with hunting bullet it would take any animal out to 1000 yards.

If you reload then a 6.5 SAUM. Just had one built earlier this year. It drills, 3shots 600yards. More than enough gun to hunt larger animals.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 16