• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Want to buy/build

bearhntr45

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2012
WA
I have a very limited budget, and want to start with a very good AR that over time I can add to or use to build. I'm looking at the 7.62x51mm NATO chambers mainly for accuracy, price of ammo, and good hunting cartridge. Open to other suggestions like building a M14/M1A instead of an AR. The RRA LAR-8 Standard A-4 seems to fit my needs best. I know that their parts are not interchangeable with others, which wouldn't be the end of the world. I won't have money to dump into upgrades for a long time anyway (I have kids). Are there other options out there that are better, and in that price range?

Re: Want to buy/build

We are probably going to need to know what your "budget" is...

There are way too many options and some can get VERY expensive... peoples budgets vary... so give us an idea and there will be a bunch of knowledgable people here that will chime in.

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

I would like to stay around $1,300. I know it's not much to work with, but I hope to be able to get something great quality to start with that I can customize along the way. I'm not new to shooting, just new to civilian AR's. I'm a former Marine, and want to keep up on my skills. There are so many choices out there, so I would appreciate some input.

LAR Grizzly came out with a .308 this year and their stuff is top notch. I would definitely go with them over RRA. Also, the price will be in your price range..

Has anyone owned a Grizzly? I never heard of them, but their site says they have been around for 40 years. Seems like they are worth checking out.

If you're on a budget, you think about stepping into the .223/5.56?
Price of ammo, that right there, saves you big money.

In your OP you were not real specific on why you wanted to go 7.62 route, other than price of ammo. Obviously ammo for the .223 is ALOT cheaper. So???

Well I want to be able to use it for hunting along with target shooting. I have a 5.56 already, and would consider myself as an intermediate marksman(6years in USMC and expert marksman qual everytime). Is the only reason other manufacturers are preferred over RRA is more compatibility? In similar price range, the DPMS LR308 doesn't say what average accuracy is. RRA says 1MOA. Armalite is a little more expensive with their Ar-10A4 and state 1.5-2MOA. Is there a better option out there?

Well if you want to build, an AR10 is one of the few selections you can go with.

building an M1A requires a helluva lot more work. Same goes for the HK91s, and the FALs.

I own all 4 of these MBRs, my favorite of the bunch is the HK91 (they also make good quality clones called PTR91s) It recoils extremely smooth, accurate out to the distance i need it for and it has the ability to shoot extremely cheap blue plastic training ammo ($169/1000 shipped from Wideners) if you buy the roller-less bolt from Dansammo. also the magazines can be had for $0.99 from cheaperthandirt

Check out JD Machine as well. I've taken a walk through of their facilities & they guys make a well built product.