• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Want to play a game? 700 LA build

Prophet78

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2012
S. Indiana
So I traded a .308 savage fp for basically a barreled action in 30-06. I don't want to keep it that way. The barrel on this thing is about as thin as a pencil. The action is older. I can't date the action as everything I've read doesn't line up with the serial. But the action is silky smooth and it barely resembles a current 700 action.

Anyhow, I'm finishing up my first custom 700 and I'm The type of guy where most of the fun is in the hunt for the next project. My regular range goes to the 1k mark but I wanted to build a magnum hence why I traded over for this.

So what would you do? I was thinking of sending the action to SAC or GAP and say do it right. Question is, what would you do?

This build is a few years off but as I said, the fun is in the hunt.

Thanks,

-JD-

I have basically the same action as you and mine is going to the smith on Friday. I have debated and struggled for quite awhile trying to decide what to chamber it in. Quite honestly, I am still waffling to some degree. Here are the main calibers to consider but a lot will depend on what you are planning to do with it. Mine will mostly be a range gun, but I have a really nice 500yd shot on my hunting property so I am sure it will get used there some as well.

The two main calibers you will here are .280AI and .284. I am probably going with the 280AI myself really just because of the availability of brass. From what I can tell, ballistically speaking, there isn't much difference in these two. I have also considered 6.5x284 which is a great caliber but is a barrel burner. The one I keep going back to and struggling with though is chambering it in 6mm remington and setting it up with a 7.5 twist barrel to shoot 115 grain bullets. If I could find a good source of brass for the 6mm, I would probably go that direction.

Good luck with your build. Keep us posted on what you decide

When I can find a rem 700 long action this is my plan

-Replace bolt with PT&G one piece fluted bolt
-True the action and all of that
-24" Medium palma 1 in 8 twist barrel chambered in 6.5x55 (haven't picked a manufacturer yet)
-Manners T2a with dbm mini chassis (modify 300 win mag magazines)
-microslick the bolt
-new steiner 5-25
-TBAC 30CB brake
-Timney 510
-Atlas bipod

Pretty sure this is what in going to go with for my next build, been playing around with a few ideas and keep changing my mind though

I have always thought about getting a 30-06 action and building an M-24 clone off of it. Might be cool to have a .308 in a long action just for the fun of it...

I would build the A3 variant though. Never got along with the original stock.

-24" Medium palma 1 in 8 twist barrel chambered in 6.5x55 (haven't picked a manufacturer yet)

Pretty sure this is what in going to go with for my next build, been playing around with a few ideas and keep changing my mind though

I agree, the 6x55 Swede should be given some consideration. Better barrel life than the 6.5x284 and nice selection of bullets.

Some can but not the one you have. You would need a long action magnum action. I am not 100% sure but I think they are even larger than the ones that Remington chambers there 300 win. mag on. 338LM is a huge round.

By the way.... I have changed my mind and I am going with the 6.5x55 too.

Thanks Sig Marine

Funny, I'm in a similar situation. I have my grandfather's old 60s or 70s era 700 in 30-06 with a pencil barrel. I've debated leaving it as is (where it will get little to no use) or having it gently worked up into a nice 6.5x55 hybrid hunting/target rifle.