• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Want to rent a 223ai reamer

haeffkr

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2013
Looking to shoot 75-80 grain bullets loaded long. Thanks for your help!

Never used the service and not endorsing it. Only heard of it

I'd ask them if they guarantee how they cut/finish the chamber....or you should ask...

How do they get inspected and or resharpened when they get returned to them....

Because...if the reamer cuts bad or tears the chamber etc...who's eating the work and the barrel if it gets scrapped?

I'd be curious to know.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Reactions: Tperry
Never used the service and not endorsing it. Only heard of it

I rented one of their throating reamers a while back. It worked well and wasn't a hassle at all, but that was a pretty small job. Just fixing a couple extremely short throated savage 308win barrels

Reactions: Frank Green
I would just order one. Story goes like this I had a barrel put on by a gunsmith it worked great then I sent the rifle back for another one same cartage with the original paperwork and description from the last barrel. Get the new one and its not like at all what I wanted kind of got the tuff titty when I was having problems. So I got a lathe, own my reamers and instead of being part of the problem Im the whole problem lol. This is my 223 ackley print its a JGS reamer
1682391019874.jpeg

Thanks for the replies. 4-D reamers does not provided specs on the reamer freebore/throat so I thought I would ask here first. I only want to chase my Tikka 223 and make it improved to shoot heavy long bullets. I will bump the shoulder a bit on the lathe to get the chamber to spec length.

thanks haeffnkr

I rented one of their throating reamers a while back. It worked well and wasn't a hassle at all, but that was a pretty small job. Just fixing a couple extremely short throated savage 308win barrels
Yeah I did too and it worked like a champ. I'd do it again if I needed to. @Frank Green hooked me up with a drawing and I used some oil and added a good bit so I could shoot a 175smk and get it out where I wanted to.

It's always best to own your reamer even if you're not a gunsmith to have more control over your reloading.

However, I have used 4D many times for one off chambers. All the reamers are PTG. Inspect the reamer with a jewelers loupe. Pay special attention to the freebore and throat area of the reamer; that's where they dull up first.

How a chamber finishes out has a lot to do with how the reamer is ran. A perfectly sharp reamer can cut a rough chamber if not used correctly.

The reamers I've received from 4D have been clean and sharp.

Reactions: haeffkr
thanks FisherTC
I have one other option with Ragged Hole, if they dont pan out I will likely try 4D.

haeffnkr