• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Want to take my 10 year old P.D. hunting near Chamberlain SD

Codiekfx400

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2018
I am wanting to take my son to South Dakota this summer to shoot prairie dogs. Does anybody have a place to shoot? Willing to pay a trespass fee if the shooting is steady.

Thanks for the heads up. I would have never thought about checking age.

It's unclear whether the kid needs to be 12 or not.
They have youth mentoring seasons now, but that's for game animals.
Either way, this is for prairie dogs and has some links to colony locations and land ownership.

Head West of Chamberlain about 30 miles to a town called Kennebic. Used to stay at a motel right off the freeway that always had a list of farmers/ranchers that were looking for "help" with the population of skippy.
Cheers

Eastern Montana. No age or limits on private land. Call local motels and ask if there are any ranchers that need help. As long as you can close a gate most are grateful for the help.

Call the local Scheels, Cabelas or Red Rock Sporting goods gun counter and ask about varmint rifles and optics suggestions. Steer the conversation towards an upcoming trip and ask for possible places or even if one of the guys at the counter can take you out for a day for a minimal fee. Just make sure that when you call its not around the lunch rotation or within 30min of closing time, you stand a better chance of getting a chatty dude to hang out for a bit on the phone.
If shooting in SE Montana or any of the plains areas out West, be damn sure you don't get stuck out there in the gumbo after a rain shower. Also do not make ruts on the roads and fuck everything up hot rodding around, it will be the last time most ranchers will allow you on the property. Be polite, reserved and reassure them you will close the gate, not leave ruts and you know the difference between a cow and a coyote. There are volumes of folklore about "a guy from back East" shot this or fucked something up.