• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

want your opinion

novakorp

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2009
First time posting, long time viewer, newbie here from central Iowa...
Want your guys opinion on something. Looking to get into long range shooting..nothing extreme, say 500 yards or so. I am looking for a new rifle and wanted your opinions on the Remington 700...probably something like the VTR or one of the police tacticals. These rifles are in my price range and skill level. I would probably be sticking to the 308 as exotic ammo is hard to come by in my neck of the woods. I have held several VTR and p[olice versions of the 700 and pretty much all fit me well. Hopefully when time and money allows, I would like to go on a bear or elk hunt. Would these rifles perform well under this type of hunt? Also, a recommendation on glass would be nice as well. Again, I am on a budget so keep that in mind. I have read through the beginning long range shooting posts and rifle recommendations but would still like your opinion of these rifles for an average shooter like myself. Thanks!

Re: want your opinion

If it was me I would look at the Remington SPS tactical. It's built on a Remmy 700 action with a 20 inch bull barell and it has a 1 in 10 twist so you can shoot the heavier bullets while hunting bear. I don't know the twist rate on the VTRs but make sure you keep that in mind. Also what is your price range for the optics? You may want to look at some savage model 10's as well.

Just starting out, I'd probably look for an older Rem700PSS.

Problem is, they might sell for more now than the new ones.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but some of the new rifles look like a POS to me.

Thanks for the replies guys...

Regarding the FN SPR...Beautiful rifle but out of my price range, and not trying to ruffle anyones feathers here but FN is not an American company...I prefer to buy American.

Regarding the Savages... had a 110 ? I think it was called...many years ago( well..I suppose not that many as I am only 33) Ended up getting rid of it as it didnt fit me well. Perhaps I will revisit Savage.

I have always been pleased with the Remingtons I have purchased and was leaning in that direction but wanted an opinion of accuracy with these rifles. I really liked the police version...not sure what its actual model number is but hated the grip swell on it. VERY uncomfortable to me. I know that they make this rifle without that grip swell so thats a posibility. I guess I should mention that my ideal budget is 7-$800 for the rifle....probably around 5-$600 for glass. I would prefer a synthetic stock. Any more ideas?

Remington 700 5r, know its a little steep on the price curve, but shop around and you may find one, burris xtr rings and a decent base, (egw) etc, lots of decent glass in your price range, but thats another topic. Good look on your search.

Hey Skydive91....I am in Toledo, Iowa About 20 miles east of Marshalltown. Nice to meet you! John

Thanks for all of the opinions...Still trying to make up my mind on the next rifle. As stated, pretty much a novice long range shooter. The most long range experience is out to 300 yards or so with my collection of AR's in .223 Still cant keep my eye off of those Remington police rifles so I suppose thats the way I am leaning. I dont think I will ever be part of the 1000 yard club as I have no practical use for this type of shooting, but would love to be proficient at 500-700 yards. I am amazed at the skill level here....you guys are awesome! And have some of the sexiest rifles I have ever seen! Keep up the good work!

Maybe give this a look-see. Either chambering has the proper twist for proper Long Range loads. I would recommend something with a longer barrel for beyond 800yd. Sharpshooter Supply provides a number of worthwhile tweaks for the Savage rifles, including a higher capacity upgrade for the factory etachable magazine

Greg

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know I finally made my decision. I picked up a Rem 700 SPS in 308. 20" with Hogue Stock...I know its not as high end as most rifles on here but its what I could afford, and for some reason, I love Hogue stocks. As stated, I dont plan on becoming a 800 yard+ shooter. Just wanted a nice long range rifle for deer, hogs, etc...And maybe in the future, an elk hunt. I dont expect sub-moa or even moa. Just decent accuracy for a novice long range shooter like myself. I will be putting some decent glass on it...Probably a Leupold. Any more opinions on these rifles? I got it new in box and out the door for $550 plus a $40 rebate from Remington. So, $510.00

If nothing more, you have a hunting rifle more accurate than most, and a good foundation for a supremely accurate rifle.

Hello, a guy at our range bought one of those rifles and it shot really well. He was just using 150gr Federal Power shoks.