• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Wanting to build am M1Garand 9.3x62

Re: Wanting to build am M1Garand 9.3x62

I've ordered my barrel from Lothar Walther. Gonna do one for myself! It should be a pretty easy conversion since the cases are very similar. Should make one hell of a hog rifle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mauserman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've ordered my barrel from Lothar Walther. Gonna do one for myself! It should be a pretty easy conversion since the cases are very similar. Should make one hell of a hog rifle! </div></div>

Keep me posted on how she comes out!

I second the idea about the .35 Whelen as a more logical modification.

However, I also think it would convert the Garand into a bigbad buckensnorter, and might be Badd Juju where the Oprod is concerned.

Further, I honestly can't envsion there being that many feral monsterporkers around where a lesser chambering won't be adequate. Hell, the .30-'06 oughta be plenty all by itself.

Greg

If -06 can't bring down the hog, I don't wanna meet him. But it sounds like an interesting project if nothing else. There use to be a guy in Arizona I believe that did some crazy conversions, like 300 WSM in an M-14 and such, but I cannot recall the name. I'll ask the husband when he gets home.

Will let you know how it turns out.
Sure a 30-06 will be more than adequate for about near anything I can think of in the hog department. I just think it would be fun to try! We'll see what happens.

I just don't understand how you're going to keep the Oprod intact with that kind of cartridge.

I think McCann Industries did some Garand conversions in .338WM, .300WSM and .458WM. I don't know if they're still doing them.

I think .358 caliber is about as large a bore as you would want to go with a standard GI barrel contour. There are people who do a 35 Whelen conversion at a reasonable rate though.

The second thing to mention, and this is the important part, deals with the function. The original gas system was designed to work with a certain operating pressure at a specified velocity range. When you start messing with that, you're looking at bent op-rods. The best thing to do is start with an adjustable gas nut and test as you go.

9.3mm if anything will be easier on op rods because the pressure is lower at the chamber and the expansion ratio is much more favorable.

XM110 I like the idea the only problems I see are that you might need to make some parts. you might make a gas system with a larger barrel band ID so you can keep a little meat over the bore. other that that I think your good to go. Keep the pressure at the 9.3X62 spec and it will probably outlast a 30/06.