• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

wanting to buy .22

weston

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2008
Kentucky
Hey guys I am thinking of doing some trading for a .22. Right now the only rimfire I have is the little .17HM2. I am looking in the 250-300 price range. What type of rifle can I get that I can make accurate, or is already accurate out of the box? I would prefer automatic (automatically thinking 10/22) but wondered what the folks here opinions on the different bolt guns, ect in that price range. THanks in advance.
Jeremy

Re: wanting to buy .22

Are they good out of the box? What kind of accesories can you buy for them? Barrel? Stock?

Alternative is the ruger 10/22, the 10 round magazine for that fits in flush to the stock.

Both of them have all sorts of accessories available - barrels, stocks, triggers, etc

<span style="font-weight: bold">Savage Mk II</span>: for a bolt gun
<span style="font-weight: bold">Marlin 60</span>: for an auto

I'm sorry but I just don't like the 10/22's...too many around and not much you can do to make them <span style="font-weight: bold">YOUR</span> unique build cause someone has probably already done it (Go easy on me guys
wink.gif
)

I used to love auto's til I got my first bolt gun.

for that price range:

Savage MKII series / Stevens 300 (bolt) or 64 (semi)
if you want to squeeze the most accuraccy out, go with a heavy barrel combo. you have a choice of many options in triggers and stocks and is really accurate out of the box and for the price. SAVAGE MKII heavy vs. sporter barrel

Marlin - older 25, 925, the new XT22 (if you can find it) bolts, or 60 series semis. Marlin has really "turned it up a notch" in the last few years with adjustable triggers and such. looks like the XT22 series offers many different stock combinations and "true" heavy barrel alternatives.

this may help to make that choice:
Savage MKII F/G vs. Marlin 25/925 sporter barrel showdown Parts 1, 2, and 3

ruger 10/22 if you want to go semi would probably offer you the most flexibility to go with modifications / upgrades / options. lots of toys and performance upgrades to go with them. you can build them for a light "assualt rifle" type setup or a heavy benchrest setup, and most can be done in your own home with basic tools.

Mossberg makes a bolt and also a few semis in that price range, however they don't get as much fanfare as the the Savage / Marlin / Ruger. i don't have any first hand or second hand experience with them, but just the "feel" of one off the shelf is unattractive to me at least.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMGibson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Savage Mk II</span>: for a bolt gun
<span style="font-weight: bold">Marlin 60</span>: for an auto

I'm sorry but I just don't like the 10/22's...too many around and not much you can do to make them <span style="font-weight: bold">YOUR</span> unique build cause someone has probably already done it (Go easy on me guys
wink.gif
)

I used to love auto's til I got my first bolt gun. </div></div>

well then whats the point in the model 60? they all look exactly the same at least with the 10/22 it can be built to what looks "cool" to you, and even if theres others that have done it the gun will still be an attention getter at the range.

I guess im just partial to 10/22's they are great fun and i like being able to change parts out without a great deal of knowledge or tools to do so. I wouldnt trade my 10/22 for a Marlin 60 any day ...

My vote is for the 10/22 for the simple reason that you can trick them out more and better than any other rimfire gun made.

My T/c benchmark is a pretty sweet out of the box rimfire.

Savage MKII. Mine's the baseline MKIIF. For my purposes, it's more than adequate. Current factory list is $212.

For optics, mine uses the Tasco VAR624X42M, which sells somewhere around $70 apiece.

The bolt action promotes good marksmanship habits better than a semi, IMHO.

While it's true that heavy barrels and other bells and whistles will make the rifle deadly accurate, such accuracy is not needed for practice or training. The point isn't about bragging rights, it's about honing skills. The size of the groups is less important than their shape. Round is better. A trainer which maintains consistent accuracy and reliability is the ideal. Miniscule group sizes don't really need to be attainable. A consistent ability to guage performance improvement is much more important.

When I need advice on .22lr's, I read up on what Top Predator has to say.

Greg

I'm currently using a "vintage" Winchester 75 with an aperture rear sight and globe insert front sight. While it shows a LOT of AGE, it still performs like a champion.

I will have to vote 10/22 also. The only thing I would say is don't go out and buy 900.00 - 1000.00 dollars worth of accessories and then expect to sell it for that. It rarely happens. Most people want to do their own mods.

Both my 10/22's look bone stock with the exception of the one I put tech sights on. They both have the volquartsen aftermarket internals though so that they have a decent trigger pull.

Good luck with your decision.

My 10/22's and Savage Mark II's all shoot great with decent ammo. Don't expect great results from a 500 round bulk pack of ammo. I was contemplating re-barreling my 10/22 but then I put some Eley match ammo through it and it performed much better than expected. I was consistently hitting my bullet trap at 50 yards with iron sights.

I think my Savages are more accurate but a semi-auto is probably more fun for rapid shots.

I'd go with a Savage Mk2 if you want the accuracy, and a Marlin 60 if you want good ol' fashioned plinkin' fun. The main reason I vote for Marlin over Ruger 10/22 is that the Marlin tube magazine is ridiculously easy to reload quickly (about 5 seconds for the 14 rounds) whereas the 10/22 mags are a complete bitch to reload. The 10-rounders are bad enough, but if you ever have reloaded a 10/22 25-round mag, you will understand.

Concerning autos:

I owned a Mod. 60 Marlin and it was a fun plinker. That said, I now have four 10/22's. There's just so much more in the way aftermarket support, parts, etc. it's hard to vote against it. Someone mentioned mags. The factory 10rd are slower to load then a tube I guess. The Tactical Innovations 25rd mags are actually pretty easy on the thumb.

Besides my Grandfather's Rem mod 34, I only have two bolt action rimfires. A CZ 452 Varmint and a 40X. I love them both but they don't fit your $ requirement. I owned a Savage MKII a while back and it was a pretty good little shooter. I decided I wanted the CZ so I sold it and saved up a little longer.

I also say 10/22. I got only two. I need 4 more. One for each of my four boys, one for my wife and mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage Mk II </div></div>I agree. I have a number of .22 LR chambered rifles, and the Savage Mk II I have is probably the most accurate.

I bought a Savage MkII TR and threw an SWFA SS 10x42mm mil/MOA scope up top and it did everything I ever asked of it. Now I am thinking of selling this and buying another Savage with the thinner barrel and adding a Vortex optic, or maybe aperture sights, for plinking and small game slaying.

My interests changed, yours may too, and not all of us can justify having a billion different guns each having their own purpose. I don't know about you, but a cheap, solid, bolt action rifle (in my case it's a Savage although I'd personally prefer a CZ 452) will do wonders for you for many many years. Especially if you get something non-specialized that can fulfill many different duties.

Hope this helps

Dylan

The 10/22s are nice but you could also look at a Remington 597. I got one with synthetic stock and a 3-9x scope for $220 at Gander Mountain. I've shot the past couple weekends with it and haven't had a single issue with it. Shoots very tight groups at 25 and 50 yards with all stock parts.

I'd vote against the Marlin 60 myself. It was my first gun, still own it (can see a pic of it in the Rimfire Stick's thread page 5) I've seen a lot of people talk it up, but honestly, ever sense owning it, it stove pipes a lot. Regardless of what ammo I put through it, it's not uncommon to stove pipe once or twice out of the 14 rounds. Having said that, I've also plowed through 3-4 14 round strings back to back without a problem several times before too. So... go figure.

It's always been a fun gun, just not very reliable (kind of a mute point for a plinker, but worth mentioning).

Having said that though, I've beat the piss out of it over the years (especially when I was younger, taking it on hikes through the woods, etc.) And nothing has broken, wobbled loose, or anything. It's been dropped several times onto river rock, into the river once, out in the brush n' rain for hours countless times, etc... All up to what you want in a rifle I guess. My vote, would still go towards something else though. Just my 2 cents of experience.

I have a Marlin 60 that I got for cheap from a Pawn Shop. As long as you keep them clean they shoot fine, but they do tend to stovepipe when dirty.

I like the CZs but in your price range the MKII is a great deal. I perfer bolts over semis for cleaning/functioning reasons. 10/22's all loaded up are fun though.

10/22s are just fun to play with, another vote for the Ruger.

Thanks for the input fellas. I have decided to go with the MK II. I hope to pick it up next week. Will let you guys know when I get it. Thanks again

I had the suppresed 10/22 with all the KIDD mods, it was a great setup. A bitch to clean though.

Next time I do it I will go with a bolt gun, MK II looks nice.

If your currently in the market for a 22 you should seriously consider the kimber model 82 government available through cmp right now!
A little more than your current budget but worth every penny! 400.00 for the rusty and there isn't a spot of rust on this gun.

I picked one up last week and man this thing is a laser!!