• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wanting to buy another bolt action for 100yd paper punching.

Superdog

Private
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2018
Hey guys, looking for some opinions. I like shooting paper @ 100yds. I got Savages that shoot 1/2" groups typically. Am I gonna be happy choosing a Ruger rpr for another new rifle? Prolly gonna go 6.5cm, or maybe 243 if I can find one. Your thoughts........

243 RPR was factory Gen 1 only, and it was a 26” bbl. With my can the damn thing was almost as tall as I was. That being said it was a damn decent rifle for the money.

I’d look to the Bergara or something similar, 700 pattern has a better aftermarket support structure.

Or buy another Savage if you’re just after a paper puncher.

22s have thier place. I built a nice kids barreled custom. 22s don't really do it for me.

Hey guys, looking for some opinions. I like shooting paper @ 100yds. I got Savages that shoot 1/2" groups typically. Am I gonna be happy choosing a Ruger rpr for another new rifle? Prolly gonna go 6.5cm, or maybe 243 if I can find one. Your thoughts........
My first bolt gun was a RPR in 6.5 and that rifles whole life was done at 1 to 200 yards.

It was way more accurate than I was. It would regularly print groups around half moa
It was a very fun rifle to learn on. In hind sight I wish I would went with 308 or 223. Cuz I obviously wasn't utilizing the benefits of the 6.5 cartridge. My barrel took a crap around 2800 rounds.
Groups opened up to about an inch ,then I sold the rifle and bought a MPA
But if all your shooting is going to be that close there is no reason to not go with a 22lr or 223 or 308,something with lots of barrel life.

308 would be best to work on fundamentals so you actually have recoil to deal with.

I’d get a r700 223 with a 24” or 26” 1:9 twist heavy barrel. Hell I have a both and they drive tacks out way past 100yards. However there’s nothing wrong with a Savage or whatever for punching holes at at 100yds

Reactions: AirgunnerPCP
Brownells has Howa 6cm barreled actions that ought to shoot for $249. Drop it on a Oryx or Bravo for another $350. But I’d rather build something special for a bargain and make it work than buy something Off the shelf.

My first bolt gun was a RPR in 6.5 and that rifles whole life was done at 1 to 200 yards.

It was way more accurate than I was. It would regularly print groups around half moa
It was a very fun rifle to learn on. In hind sight I wish I would went with 308 or 223. Cuz I obviously wasn't utilizing the benefits of the 6.5 cartridge. My barrel took a crap around 2800 rounds.
Groups opened up to about an inch ,then I sold the rifle and bought a MPA
But if all your shooting is going to be that close there is no reason to not go with a 22lr or 223 or 308,something with lots of barrel life.

308 would be best to work on fundamentals so you actually have recoil to deal with.
I prolly shoulda told ya what I already have. All 3 shoot half inch all day.

Savage 10T-SR .308
Savage 110 22-250
Browning HellsCanyon 6.5cm

Wanting something different. I DO have the option of shooting up to 500yds when my crops are off. BTW, I shot a 2" group at 500 with the 308 once. That was pretty cool. Lol. Maybe I'll say fuck it and just buy a 243 Savage tactical synthetic of some sort and forget the fancy crap. I really thought I wanted a rpr, but looks like my Savages prolly shoot better at half the cost. Thanx!

Did a lil paper punching today. After a few barrel warmers, the ol bull 22-250 produced some good groups!
IMG_20210104_135224980_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210104_135236489.jpg

Oh? Never reported the rifle I eventually bought. Another Savage, 110 tactical in 6.5. Another shooter. Loves Hornady 140gr match n H4350.
IMG_20201020_111541092_HDR.jpg

When you get bored with that, rebarrel it to .222 with a 1:12 twist Krieger or Bartlein and shoot some 50-55gr flat base match/varmint bullets. ;)

I love my 8 twist 22-250 barrel I put on a Savage 12 donor. Shoots 80gr ELD-Ms at 3280fps...really zips them out there. The Oryx chassis are cheap and make a solid mount for the action.

But I also love my 8 twist .243 on another Savage. Shoots 108s into 3/8" all day long. Never underestimate the .243!

Reactions: Superdog
.243 is my next rifle. Decided on that. Prolly Savage build. I've had great accuracy with them.

My God, are you guys saying sub .25moa isn't good enough??? Lol?
I watch dozens of youtube and don't see many groups like that. J/S.....

I've also been looking at the LSS-XL chassis for a 243 build. Plus all my Savage SAs will fit it. Lil pricey for a chunk of machined metal, but still on the budget end of the chassis world.

I love my 8 twist 22-250 barrel I put on a Savage 12 donor. Shoots 80gr ELD-Ms at 3280fps...really zips them out there. The Oryx chassis are cheap and make a solid mount for the action.

But I also love my 8 twist .243 on another Savage. Shoots 108s into 3/8" all day long. Never underestimate the .243!
What's "standard" twist for 243?

22cal is boring to me. Sorry, no offense. Diff strokes for diff folks.....

Tikka Tac A1 in 6.5 Creed. Loved mine. Awesome. Saw one for sale on here a bit ago for a good price.

Also, I gotta tell ya this. The 100yds is my backyard. Last fall, my father willed me 40acre field. It's narrow and long, close to half a mile. Corn crop is off, haven't made a path through cornstubble yet with atv. So stop the 100yd whimp implys. I've got my own long range when I get it ready. Till my guy plants beans anyway.....(•‿•)

Reactions: Smittiac
Get this. My partner at work says his "guy" tools his own barrels. Says he says he can hit an egg at 1k yds. I call bullshit!
Your thoughts?

Get this. My partner at work says his "guy" tools his own barrels. Says he says he can hit an egg at 1k yds. I call bullshit!
Your thoughts?
Well my boss says he can hit a quarter at 1k with a 300wm production rifle...with factory ammo. 🤷‍♂️

Sure with no wind and consistent loads anyone can do that... How many shots it takes though that's the important part. If he can do it cold bore he should be winning the King of 2 Mile... just sayin.

Sure with no wind and consistent loads anyone can do that... How many shots it takes though that's the important part. If he can do it cold bore he should be winning the King of 2 Mile... just sayin.
That's what I told him. Didn't wanna insult him though. I did tell him "well, he oughta be in some national pro shooting circuit!" Lol.....

I'm thinking I might start a 243 lss (xl?) chassis build. Like to get something other than another Savage, but I got to many that can end up in the same chassis. Lol. Idk.....

I'm thinking I might start a 243 lss (xl?) chassis build. Like to get something other than another Savage, but I got to many that can end up in the same chassis. Lol. Idk.....
I hear that is a great chassis.....I own it. Make sure you get one in your hand. Feel is importan. I bought like 5 grips before settling on my BCM grip. The trigger reach is sooooooo far that most grips don’t work for me. I have pretty big L or XL glove hands. I haven’t tried the MDT grip. I also bought their std stock for like $330, but unless you buy the Elite, they short you the second post. Problem is it is required to not feel spongy in lop with 300 WSM. Maybe I’m just too picky....paying an extra $55 for a post though.:( On top of all this, the mags (WSM 2.98“ AICS don’t feed right. Actually feeding is great, but the stock layout only allows 2.94” oal. Well, unless a round is shifted forward, then the bullet tip will be trapped when you insert the mag. Yes, they know this. No they don’t put it in bold 24pt font that their chassis is incompatible with the non-binder plate mags.

I would consider a stock next time....The MDT LSS chassis has good performance and bottom metal. Weight is ok. I think I could have bought a pillar bedded carbon McMillan for what I have in this chassis.

Reactions: Superdog
Thanz! I appreciate the honest feedback! I'm close, but just having a hard time pulling the trigger on this expense. I like the asthetics ALOT, but making a great shooting rifle shoot "better", idk......