• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wants to buy a .308 semi auto battle rifle

Re: Wants to buy a .308 semi auto battle rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure of the skills but this is one set of results for a shooter behind a SCAR-17 for his second time with a scope at 100 yards.

scar.jpg

Is this typical? I'd imagine with the cost a SCAR is not a first rifle for someone.

This is what I got out first time with this 1903, 30-06, rested on a block of wood, using the fold up leaf peep and front blade at 100yards. 6.25 black, 3.25 ten ring using surplus Korean, KA 73, M2 ball.

New1903005.jpg

The middle rifle was used.

GungnirNothungMjolnir-1.jpg

If the SCAR cant meet/beat that it would not be on the list. </div></div>

Shooter 1 sucks out loud. I've got a 20 dollar bill that says I can keep 50 ball rounds out of my SCAR inside your 3.25 10 ring at 100, and another 20 that says I can do half that with match ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Shooter 1 sucks out loud. I've got a 20 dollar bill that says I can keep 50 ball rounds out of my SCAR inside your 3.25 10 ring at 100, and another 20 that says I can do half that with match ammo. </div></div>

No need to disparage shooter one, I dont know what his skills are. His is just a pic I found at the FN forum of a target as I have been looking for what the SCAR is capable of. Power of the internet - lets you get abused all over the world without you realizing it.

Have you done any mods to your SCAR to get your results? I hear the triggers are tough and the fix is north of $300.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Shooter 1 sucks out loud. I've got a 20 dollar bill that says I can keep 50 ball rounds out of my SCAR inside your 3.25 10 ring at 100, and another 20 that says I can do half that with match ammo. </div></div>

No need to disparage shooter one, I dont know what his skills are. His is just a pic I found at the FN forum of a target as I have been looking for what the SCAR is capable of. Power of the internet - lets you get abused all over the world without you realizing it.

Have you done any mods to your SCAR to get your results? I hear the triggers are tough and the fix is north of $300. </div></div>

No. It was very gritty for several hundred rounds, then it smoothed out and approximates a good factory Colt M4 trigger now. If I was using it for a precision rifle I'd spring for the Geissele trigger, but it has a TA11 on it - it's more of a fighting/general purpose rifle to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> it's more of a fighting/general purpose rifle to me. </div></div>

Something Rudel could appreciate. My initial question was to compare what I think are two precision rifles (GAP-10 and OBR) with a more general purpose rifle. If the SCAR has accuracy better than that 03 it would be something I would be interested in.

There is no answer to this just about anything being built today is good I guess. I'll do a little more looking at the LMT, MWS. Thank you all for your help and anymore you can add without getting too heated - its only about a rifle - save the hardcore enthusiasm for the November elections.

raise your hand in this thread if you've ever shot at a human? or been in "battle". now raise your hand if you have played alot of call of duty and your uber gucci rifle that is the one and only way to go has killed 1000 steel and paper humans thus giving you a vast amount of experience to tell someone what a good "battle" rifle would be?

My hands up for shot a human Joe. Just don't tell anyone where the bodies are!
wink.gif

If you could see them, my hands are not raised but I didn't even mention my rifle (sporterized Garand with Ncstar and custom vertical grip)

nerf2%20(Custom).jpg

you guys get in pissing matches that blow me away and spam up the original posters question. take your fan boy antics and go act like a tough guy at your local gun shop with your fake ranger patch on claiming glory in mogodishu

The ceilings in my mothers basement dont allow me enough height to raise my hands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">raise your hand in this thread if you've ever shot at a human? or been in "battle". </div></div>

faces_135.gif

That and a quarter doesn't get you a cookie and a cup of coffee on this site. What was your point again?

more power to ya for liking the scar, i've seen too many problems to suggest it to anyone and with FN's reluctance to sell spare parts or anything for that matter yet is a sign of them not even being done developing it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SCAR--FACE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">raise your hand in this thread if you've ever shot at a human? or been in "battle". now raise your hand if you have played alot of call of duty and your uber gucci rifle that is the one and only way to go has killed 1000 steel and paper humans thus giving you a vast amount of experience to tell someone what a good "battle" rifle would be? </div></div>

Does paintball count?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">raise your hand in this thread if you've ever shot at a human? or been in "battle". </div></div>

faces_135.gif

That and a quarter doesn't get you a cookie and a cup of coffee on this site. What was your point again? </div></div>

The point is “battle rifle” what is it by definition? An implement of war?
Being in mortal combat lends to a perspective on weapons, weapons systems and training that just can’t be duplicated anywhere, especially when the engagement outcome is sub optimal.
Key attributes to any weapon carried by soldiers, sailors, marines and a very few select airmen as an implement of war.
Accuracy
Speed of engagement (which leads directly to #1)
Lethality (which leads directly to #1)
Reliability
Weight!!!!
Accessories
My answer is get the most accurate weapon possible for your money within the type of operating system you desire, bolt or SA. Accuracy = rapid lethal engagements== less ammo to carry and less maintenance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SCAR--FACE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">more power to ya for liking the scar, i've seen too many problems to suggest it to anyone and with FN's reluctance to sell spare parts or anything for that matter yet is a sign of them not even being done developing it. </div></div>

This is something I have wondered about. Is the SCAR a dead end on the tree of rifle evolution. Id say the SCAR 16 is. Whats in store for the 17?

If Colt would come out with the SP901 I'd buy it and not be asking any questions.

best saying ever "you can't miss fast enough"

pmclaine, I think you need to decide on what features are more important to you. Do you want a precision rifle? Get the GAP. You said you were looking at the scar for general purpose rifle. I would still pick the GAP.

The GAP has superior accuracy and to me is more expandable. I ordered one in 6.5 creedmoor and plan to order a .308 upper from POF in the future. You can order a new upper from them in many different calibers. I just got the call and will be getting my GAP10 this weekend.

With the 2 guns being about the same cost it's a no brainer to me. You may feel different. I was trying to decide between the GAP10, POF, and OBR. The ability to call GAP and order a upper in just about any caliber I wanted is what cemented my decision and I can still get a piston operated gun when I get the POF upper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You can order a new upper from them in many different calibers. I just got the call and will be getting my GAP10 this weekend.

</div></div>

What are the many other calibers?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rollinheavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You can order a new upper from them in many different calibers. I just got the call and will be getting my GAP10 this weekend.

</div></div>

What are the many other calibers?</div></div>

Most short action calibers that will feed well from a magazine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rollinheavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You can order a new upper from them in many different calibers. I just got the call and will be getting my GAP10 this weekend.

</div></div>

Most short action calibers that will feed well from a magazine. </div></div>

Would WSM calibers be included in that?

Just call them Rollin, maybe you can have one built. POF was going to do a 300WSM and a 243WSSM if memory serves right. Since they did not do it, maybe there are some problems to figure out hence the saying <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most short action calibers that will feed well from a magazine. </div></div>One call can probably get you an answer unless they're all at SHOT.

Oh, all you AR-loving Nancy-boys need to get an FAL!!!

ha-haa!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rollinheavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rollinheavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You can order a new upper from them in many different calibers. I just got the call and will be getting my GAP10 this weekend.

</div></div>

Most short action calibers that will feed well from a magazine. </div></div>

Would WSM calibers be included in that?</div></div>

Common sense should have automatically excluded a MAGNUM caliber but I guess everything has to be spelled out.

NON-MAGNUM SHORT ACTION CALIBERS.

Took another look at the LMT MWS. It was on my list originally but I forget why I didnt continue to look that way. I think it had something to do with my mistaken belief that the 16 inch barrel would be a hinderance for velocity at distance. I guess that fat profile barrel helps to give it the reported accuracy. Quick searches reveal good things at ranges beyond what I can expect to ever have the fun to break paper at. It comes with some good iron sights. They dont look optic friendly but they are something I am familiar with and they can be removed to mount a scope. From what I have read so far it will perform in the conditions I have mentioned (mat shooting at NRA targets, longest range available to me on rare occasions 600) and than some. I fully realize a Remington .308 AR will probably do the same for alot less money but I like buying a 5 lb hammer when a 1/2 ounce tack hammer will do.

Thanks to you posters that sent me back looking for more info. Now to go find out I cant get one in MA due to non compliance and I will be back here debating again.

I guess some of us aren't as genius as others. Thanks for answering my question.

Personally I would not even consider the current gereration of the SCAR series, I assume most of you know its being redesigned for a common receiver platform.
American Rifleman March 2011 :Its in the final phase of goverment testing and hope to be fielding by 2011 mid year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TDKPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> it's possible to improve a FAL to the point it'll shoot sub-moa.

-TDKPS </div></div>In what world?

I'd have to agree with some of the other guys. A "battle rifle" would mean either a FAL or an M14/M1a rifle to me.

I never even seen a GAP in person so I really cannot say. Lowlight says he does 1/2moa with it. I'm sure he is a better shooter than me. My M21 I built is a hell of a lot more money and I hold .75 moa with it shoot 10 round groups most days. I cannot seem to keep all ten in .5 moa. Maybe a better shooter can? The rifle is there, I'm positive it's just me, but like any M1a rifle your going to spend a lot more getting it there. It's a rifleman's rifle though, something to cherish. You don't get that with an AR. At least I don't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M21guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TDKPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> it's possible to improve a FAL to the point it'll shoot sub-moa.

-TDKPS </div></div>In what world? </div></div>

Apparently, this one : http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=864935 and a few others.

-TDKPS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTw4XYUi8UY&feature=related

LMT is releasing a new version of their MWS the LM8 MWS a lighter version. </div></div>

Thanks for the video and information. I'd be interested in this. I have a message into LMT to see what can be done for MA compliance.I imagine it will include ditching or pinning the SOPMOD, pinning the A2 flash hider and sending it with a 10 round mag. I havent heard back from them so I dont know what they will do. They make a CA version which has to be a bigger ass ache.

At this point contemplating 18 inch barrel, planning for the compliance loss of the SOPMOD add a MagPul PRS stock. No money for optics at this point but my preferred shooting style is to attach a Ron Brown M1907 sling and see what I can do with iron sights. The future would include a PRS Monopod, Harris Bipod, no idea yet on an optic (but my 44 year old eyes are quickly requiring it)- NightForce, US Optic, Trijicon offerings in the $1-1.5k budget range? How much more does a SS barrel offer over chrome lined?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They make a CA version which has to be a bigger ass ache.
</div></div>

Just a bullet button. Everyone out here has AR's now because of that little gizmo.

That new LMT looks incredibly nice. That's what I liked about the LMT MWS I shot it was just a great carbine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rollinheavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You can order a new upper from them in many different calibers. I just got the call and will be getting my GAP10 this weekend.

</div></div>

What are the many other calibers? </div></div>

limiting factors on the GAP 10:

Mag length

bolt face (.473) or 'standard'

suitable for 243, 6mm Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, 260, 308, 7-08, 338 fed. and a few others.