• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Warmest winter coat

stemikel

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2020
I need a really warm winter coat. This is for work to wear over a suit. I’m looking for something to get me through the winter in the upper Midwest. I would prefer to avoid the Canada goose brand if I can help it.

My old school wool coats just don’t seem to cut it anymore.

I have an older predecessor in a gray colorway for city/office blustery super cold days that I expect to be exposed to the elements, but need styling to match business wear.

Less costly alternative from Arcteryx mainline: https://arcteryx.com/shop/mens/therme-sv-parka

I need a really warm winter coat. This is for work to wear over a suit. I’m looking for something to get me through the winter in the upper Midwest. I would prefer to avoid the Canada goose brand if I can help it.

Where in the midwest and how cold are we talking about here?

I'm in MN for work right now. It's in the teens with windchills in the 0F range. A simple Dachstein wool thigh length jacket works just fine over a dress shirt and twill trousers. Wool socks inside Red Wing Iron Rangers for my feet.

I've dealt with -20 windchills with much the same outerwear, just added a windproof wool hat and some decent gloves.

Trenchcoat with button-in or zip-in wool and/or down liner. Suit stores or good dept stores should have.

Reactions: RTH1800
Snowmobile stuff is the warmest. And cheap when they are making room for the new stuff.

It keep you warm at 100mph at 0*

57AC37C4-D883-4AAD-B225-BE60B3F7BDAF.jpeg

Where in the midwest and how cold are we talking about here?

I'm in MN for work right now. It's in the teens with windchills in the 0F range. A simple Dachstein wool thigh length jacket works just fine over a dress shirt and twill trousers. Wool socks inside Red Wing Iron Rangers for my feet.

I've dealt with -20 windchills with much the same outerwear, just added a windproof wool hat and some decent gloves.
Green Bay, Minneapolis, traverse city

Not all wool coats are created equal. The type of wool and how it is woven is important.

I find Filson wool coats to be the best against cold, especially, damp conditions. They are pricey but worth every penny.

Canada Goose is way overpriced and shitty in wet conditions
Thanks. I have a lot of Filson gear- but not the Mackinaw coat.

My wool is an old Boss wool/cashmere blend that goes below the knees.

It has been great- but i think it is just played out at this point.

Thanks. I have a lot of Filson gear- but not the Mackinaw coat.

My wool is an old Boss wool/cashmere blend that goes below the knees.

It has been great- but i think it is just played out at this point.
I use the Double Mackinaw with a wool watch cap and gloves and am toasty in -10 wind chills.

That is as cold as it gets in my part of New England but we have very damp weather with high winds all winter since we are surrounded by water. The dampness is where synthetics fail IMHO. Wool breathes and that is important. I stopped buying down-filled coats and GoreTex long ago

If you are looking for a long coat, I don't know that Filson makes one but Sterlingwear of Boston makes them for the USN and has been for a while. They make different styles as well.

The Kuiu and the Forloh are both really interesting. Has anyone else used with of these?

Hello from remote Alaska! For warmth you just can't beat quality Down. But, what you'll be doing has a huge effect of your choice. Down does not like to be compressed. So, if you plan to wear it under layers, it doesn't do so well. It also does not do well when wet. If it rains a lot or if you are somewhere that has high humidity I'd avoid Down. Also, Down coats materials are usually not as durable as those used for synthetics. Lastly, if you'll be camping or around flames you'll want a flame resistant, natural material like wool. Wool is naturally flame resistant; but heavy. Fleece will melt to you if you get next to a fire, but it breaths great if you're hiking or such. Synthetics don't last as long as down and are effected more by repeated compressions. They are also much heavier than down. A good thing about synthetic is if you get a small hole the down will not come out; and they are much easier to patch. I hope this helps you decision.

How fancy does it have to be? I've got some great down stuff but if I'm being honest, my Carhart is windproof and every bit as warm. And cheap.
I have some real heavy duty insulated Carhartt bibs and parka. Heavy duty, FR rated. Heavy. As heavy as it is, you'd think it would do a better job of keeping you warm. I'm sure it's great stuff at 0F but at -30F plus wind, it's still heavy but not very warm. Did I mention that shit's heavy?...when it's dry? Also, I'll never buy Carhartt shit ever again after the jabby shit they pulled.

I like the battery heated fleece jackets. I use a Gerbing brand heated jacket as an insulation layer under the windproof (and lightly insulated) outer layer. Together they are lighter than most of my other outer gear and MUCH warmer, I can move more easily and don't feel like the Michelin man. I have 4 spare batteries, keep 2 in each hand pocket of the heated fleece. If I run it on low, I am not likely to even need a spare battery. It has to be pretty cold to even turn on at all. Definitely good to -30F plus wind on high. At those temps, you don't want any exposed skin for more than just a few minutes. You will definitely know what is exposed.
Baffin boots. EXCELLENT! They also make some great cold weather outer gear.

EDIT TO ADD: Minimum 12 hour shifts for duty. Never have run out of battery.

Last edited:
Just ordered the Forloh. 35% off and all made in America. I couldn’t say no.

Thanks

How fancy does it have to be? I've got some great down stuff but if I'm being honest, my Carhart is windproof and every bit as warm. And cheap.
I’ve got Carhart bibs and an insulated zip up hoodie that I use for snow blowing. Bought it years ago. It works great. But it is really heavy.

Not what I need for work, though.

Had to do some January training for a bunch of medial executives in Alaska as such had to wear suite and tie, (don't miss that job), anyway I bought one of these:

to go over the monkey suit.

Easy to slip on an off, worked great, still have it 25 years later although it does not get used quite as much now that I am in southern Arizona. It does get used when I go home to northern Maine in the winter. Was rated for -25 or -30. If you can't go with layers, I prefer merino wool, it will definitely do the job for moving in an out of cars, buildings etc.. If you start doing heavy exercise/work you will burn up.

HTH

Reactions: BurtG
If you are looking for a long coat, I don't know that Filson makes one but Sterlingwear of Boston makes them for the USN and has been for a while. They make different styles as well.
I kick myself for ever getting rid of both my USN issue peacoat and wool overcoat.

1701325290694.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Navy Gunner
I'm a fan of goose down, actually looking for a new late-season hunting coat now. Might have to look into some options listed here.

I have an Eddie Bauer goose down parka, bought it maybe 10 years ago from their outlet store. MSRP was somewhere around $400 iirc, and after all the discounts, it was $37.50. I wanted an XL, they didn't have one but would try to track one down for me, so left them my number. Got a call before we got home, they found one in Seattle. They shipped it to me FedEx 2-day and didn't charge tax, so I got it for $37.50. My wife has one too, but had to pay tax on hers.

I only wear it when it's cold, like below zero cold. Even then usually if there's a decent wind chill and I'm gonna be outside for a while. It's by far the warmest coat I've ever had.

How much do you want to spend? My fav jackets for actual cold weather are the Down with gore from patagonia. You could wear a tshirt under these in middle of a snowstorm and be toasty warm

Midwesterner, I got tired of freezing when it gets -0°F so I bought Feathered Friends Volant Jacket

Not the trendiest colors but it's downright hot unless it's -40° out. I also look like the Michelin man.

Not all wool coats are created equal. The type of wool and how it is woven is important.

I find Filson wool coats to be the best against cold, especially, damp conditions. They are pricey but worth every penny.

Canada Goose is way overpriced and shitty in wet conditions
In the early 80's I bought a Filson Double Mackinaw Cruiser for hunting the high country in CO during early winter. Kept me dry and warm even in very snowy conditions. Still my favorite coat when it gets cold and wet. Before North Face sold out, their Expedition Parka system was a great piece of gear for really nasty conditions.

Reactions: Nik H
Looked at the newer Filson mackinaw cruisers. Maybe it’s me, but they don’t look anything like the older ones.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Looked at the newer Filson mackinaw cruisers. Maybe it’s me, but they don’t look anything like the older ones.
I don't know the older ones. I like the new one. It fits in with most dress - business or casual. Wool has a look that man-made materials don't.

It is the best coat I have owned in terms of warmth and resistance to damp and wet conditions. May not apply to your conditions. Wear it with a good wool watch cap that fits tightly around your head and ears and you're warm in my neck of the woods, and you look good at the same time. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: stemikel
The Kuiu and the Forloh are both really interesting. Has anyone else used with of these?
Both. Forloh is pretty good, they are not quite there on down yet. If you are a Made in the USA guy like me, I prefer:

Or:

For your uses, the WoolCloud from Duckworth is probably a better choice. The WM is really warm, but you do get the George Costanza puffy jacket look with it. The WoolCloud looks a little more "dressy" for lack of a better term and is surprisingly warm for how little bulk is involved. I live in MT and wear mine all the time, unless it is below zero, then I go puffy jacket.

Last edited:
This is what I have used the past three winters in Chicago and I’ve never been cold. Has a very professional look to it to. Expensive, but worth it.

This is what I have used the past three winters in Chicago and I’ve never been cold. Has a very professional look to it to. Expensive, but worth it.

That’s more the style I was looking for. Looks like it has been discontinued.

Well I do t have the kuiu burner parka but I have a set of the super pro down and it is pretty damn good especially if you layer up, I usually end up shedding some clothes if I get active

That’s more the style I was looking for. Looks like it has been discontinued.

Dang it, I didn’t know that. I bet they have a new coat that’s similar to it. I didn’t want to spend that kind of money, but my wife was insistent and I’m glad she was. That coat is the best coat I’ve ever had and I’ve had a lot of people at work comment on it and want to know where I got it. I’m only suppose to wear company issued clothing, but the coats they provide are not adequate for some of the conditions we experience. This coat is not actually approved, but because it looks so professional, no one has bothered me about it.

The hood looks a little different, but this appears to be a very similar coat:

I have some real heavy duty insulated Carhartt bibs and parka. Heavy duty, FR rated. Heavy. As heavy as it is, you'd think it would do a better job of keeping you warm. I'm sure it's great stuff at 0F but at -30F plus wind, it's still heavy but not very warm. Did I mention that shit's heavy?...when it's dry? Also, I'll never buy Carhartt shit ever again after the jabby shit they pulled.

I like the battery heated fleece jackets. I use a Gerbing brand heated jacket as an insulation layer under the windproof (and lightly insulated) outer layer. Together they are lighter than most of my other outer gear and MUCH warmer, I can move more easily and don't feel like the Michelin man. I have 4 spare batteries, keep 2 in each hand pocket of the heated fleece. If I run it on low, I am not likely to even need a spare battery. It has to be pretty cold to even turn on at all. Definitely good to -30F plus wind on high. At those temps, you don't want any exposed skin for more than just a few minutes. You will definitely know what is exposed.

Whatever they use for FR is heavy. It weighs twice what my normal stuff weighs and is reserved for oil and gas related work.

It's really hard to beat the Carhartt rancher jacket. That's assuming you're moving and not just sitting still. I start with a layer of merino wool, hoodie and jeans, and then add the Carhartt if it's cold.

Some people can't regulate heat well either though. I was working with a guy one day that had about 8 layers and a Milwaukee heated jacket on under his Carhartts.
I was wearing a pair of Carhartt bibs and a Milwaukee jacket over a T-shirt. I was sweating at -30*, while he was freezing.

For snowmobiling, I wear a layer of merino, under a 1 piece uninsulated waterproof suit. Zero issues staying warm. I have insulated gear and it's too damn hot above -30*.

They are nice to say the least
They may look nice but they are not that good for staying warm. I sold my bridge coat and gave away the pea coat. Last time I wore one, I froze my ass off standing around fleet landing for beach guard in Tasmania in the middle of winter. We didn’t have the option of the polartec parka and liner back then. So much better than a wool pea coat.

Whatever they use for FR is heavy. It weighs twice what my normal stuff weighs and is reserved for oil and gas related work.

It's really hard to beat the Carhartt rancher jacket. That's assuming you're moving and not just sitting still. I start with a layer of merino wool, hoodie and jeans, and then add the Carhartt if it's cold.

Some people can't regulate heat well either though. I was working with a guy one day that had about 8 layers and a Milwaukee heated jacket on under his Carhartts.
I was wearing a pair of Carhartt bibs and a Milwaukee jacket over a T-shirt. I was sweating at -30*, while he was freezing.

For snowmobiling, I wear a layer of merino, under a 1 piece uninsulated waterproof suit. Zero issues staying warm. I have insulated gear and it's too damn hot above -30*.
FR is also used in and around electrical installations, not just oil and gas.

When OSHA first started talking about FR, they were even talking about FR underwear. I voiced my opinion that if my underwear were on fire, I already had lots of other things on my mind.
EDIT TO SAY: It's all pretty much bullshit and just one more way to make us slaves pay ever more. Fucking government and those that bribe them. 3-10 washings and the flame resistant chemicals are gone. Stay with natural fibers, wool, starched cotton, silk or go with Nomex and you have the flame resistance for the life of the garment, barring any frayed edges and shit. My super heavy overcoat is the EXACT same item but has been chemically treated to resist flaming.

But, yeah, hard to beat...I disagree. LOTS of other clothing lines out there doing at least as good and probably better. Bulwark comes to mind immediately.

Fuck Carhartt and their vaccination stance. I'm going to go ahead and wear out the shit of theirs I already own but I will NEVER buy another piece and if I am given any, I will as politely as possible decline, no offense to the giver. Most of the vendors I deal with feel the same. No more Carhartt and no more Yeti and fuck Black Rifle Coffee, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: BurtG
Midwesterner, I got tired of freezing when it gets -0°F so I bought Feathered Friends Volant Jacket

Not the trendiest colors but it's downright hot unless it's -40° out. I also look like the Michelin man.
I believe you! On all counts!

I just got a FF sleeping bag. Raven UL 10°F. It’s very nice, but I used to have a Western Mountaineering MF Antelope 5°F and I think the WM makes a slightly better bag (not the down part, the zippers and neck collar adjustments.

The WM bag got burned up in an apartment fire, long ago.

Fuck Carhartt and their vaccination stance. I'm going to go ahead and wear out the shit of theirs I already own but I will NEVER buy another piece and if I am given any, I will as politely as possible decline, no offense to the giver. Most of the vendors I deal with feel the same. No more Carhartt and no more Yeti and fuck Black Rifle Coffee, too.
I like the cut of your jib!

Sorry to butt in, does any one have one of these and how do you like it for hunting?
I live in upstate NY and was thinking of getting one. The camo version for me, the other colors wouldn't be bad for the OP.

Mike

Last edited:

@Aftermath

I've used their heated gear on my M/C, works great. Do you know if they are adaptable to stand-alone batteries?

Thanks,
Keith

@Aftermath

I've used their heated gear on my M/C, works great. Do you know if they are adaptable to stand-alone batteries?

Thanks,
Keith
Yes, as I said, I have 4 batteries. Use one at a time. The battery has a button that turns on the unit. A second press increases the heat. 4 settings of on. Each battery is about 3"x1.5"x1" and fits in a pocket inside of one of the handwarmer pockets.

There is another brand that you slightly inflate which presses the heating elements closer to your body as well as provide dead air insulation space. My friend has a vest and loves it. He took some 12v DeWalt batteries for tools apart and reconfigured them to fit smaller and uses that when he is off the bike.

Yes, as I said, I have 4 batteries. Use one at a time. The battery has a button that turns on the unit. A second press increases the heat. 4 settings of on. Each battery is about 3"x1.5"x1" and fits in a pocket inside of one of the handwarmer pockets.

There is another brand that you slightly inflate which presses the heating elements closer to your body as well as provide dead air insulation space. My friend has a vest and loves it. He took some 12v DeWalt batteries for tools apart and reconfigured them to fit smaller and uses that when he is off the bike.
I'd need to find a workaround for the 12v power source.

Thanks.
Keith

FR is also used in and around electrical installations, not just oil and gas.

When OSHA first started talking about FR, they were even talking about FR underwear. I voiced my opinion that if my underwear were on fire, I already had lots of other things on my mind.
EDIT TO SAY: It's all pretty much bullshit and just one more way to make us slaves pay ever more. Fucking government and those that bribe them. 3-10 washings and the flame resistant chemicals are gone. Stay with natural fibers, wool, starched cotton, silk or go with Nomex and you have the flame resistance for the life of the garment, barring any frayed edges and shit. My super heavy overcoat is the EXACT same item but has been chemically treated to resist flaming.

But, yeah, hard to beat...I disagree. LOTS of other clothing lines out there doing at least as good and probably better. Bulwark comes to mind immediately.

Being the electrician it's easy to get around the FR since we just kill anything we're working on. I do have a nomex jump suit in the truck if needed, but it's a last resort.

Only place I work where anyone gives the slightest care is oil and gas. I also get paid extra to deal with them, so I don't mind using FR clothes there either.
Most contracts I've gotten them to pay for all the FR gear anyways.

I also hardly ever wash my Carhartt stuff. Washing machines are destructive. Hang it up on my service body and give it a hose off if it gets really greasy. Never use laundry soap or softener.

Reactions: Keith E.
When I was shopping for a coat years ago while living in NYC, I too wanted to avoid Canada Goose. I went with a parka made by Moose Knuckles.