• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Warmest winter coat

Sorry to but in, does any one have one of these and how do you like it for hunting?
I live in upstate NY and was thinking of getting one. The camo version for me, the other colors wouldn't be bad for the OP.

Mike
Yes I do have one and have used it on an odd elk hunt or two. First the obvious question what kind of hunting? If you are in sub freezing or sub zero weather and need to sit still for an hour or two and glass a canyon then pull it out of your pack an put it on while you do so. It is a very warm coat, great at keeping out the wind, and of course waterproof.

If you are buttoned up in this coat and you are walking a lot and/or have a back pack with some decent weight and working hard this coat will cook you. You would be far better to layer up to manage the heat and sweat build up.

HTH

Have you looked at jackets/gear catered towards the ice fishing crowd?

It takes some warm shit to sit outside in -15°F plus wind chill setting up tip-ups and pop up tents on an open sheet of ice and 30mph wind.

I bought some Clam ice armor bibs last year....warm but not the easiest to move in. Good for walking/kneeling on ice. Lots of pockets and they float. Might buy the matching jacket.

Canada Goose made awesome stuff decades ago, before their popularity ruined their brand.

I believe my dad and others used their stuff for drilling operations in the Canadian arctic. Now the brand caters to rich hipsters and Asian immigrants. It's changed significantly.

I'm Canadian, but live in AZ now and don't spend much time in really cold weather.

When I do, I just use layers. Thermal underwear, hoody/sweatshirt with a Arc'teryx synthetic down jacket topped off with a wind/rain jacket (Arc'teryx Alpha Gen 2).

I have a few parkas, from visiting Antarctica and working in the Canadian north. I just prefer layering. It's so much more versatile.

Also, anything you get should be wind resistant.

Most extreme weather gear is, but you'll feel it in a hurry if it isn't. A good wind can make any environment much colder than it truly is.

Halys Sekri level 6 if you're moving about, level 7 if you're going to be standing or sitting around- looks odd over a suit though...Patagonia make less tactical solid color PCU 6 and 7

Last edited:
If you can find someone to make you one, get a real sheepskin coat made. Have them leave the fleece just a little on the long side so it insulates well. Warmest thing out there I have seen.

Reactions: stemikel
Have you looked at jackets/gear catered towards the ice fishing crowd?

It takes some warm shit to sit outside in -15°F plus wind chill setting up tip-ups and pop up tents on an open sheet of ice and 30mph wind.

I bought some Clam ice armor bibs last year....warm but not the easiest to move in. Good for walking/kneeling on ice. Lots of pockets and they float. Might buy the matching jacket.
Funny you mention that- one of the guys I work with fishes a lot and recommends ice fishing gear

One of the absolute warmest coats you can buy PERIOD is the Eddie Bauer Peak XV down jacket. It is incredibly warm, and very light for its warmth. It is rated to -40F, which is completely appropriate.

It is NOT fashion, or hunting, coat. It is an expedition style heavy duty down puffy for high altitude mountaineering. It is in fact so warm that I overheat immediately unless sitting still if the temp is above 30F.

Looked at the Filson double mackinaw. No longer made in USA (Vietnam).

Seems a little thinner than some of my older Filson products

Reactions: scharfschutze762
A 1000+ down jacket with goretex with a neck gaiter and hood built in will be will be your warmest.

Stellar and marmot

When I was shopping for a coat years ago while living in NYC, I too wanted to avoid Canada Goose. I went with a parka made by Moose Knuckles.
Moose Knuckles uses more durable materials than Canada Goose.

Canada Goose uses Artic Tech which worked fine in the eighties for expeditions. However the material doesn't work well when rubbing up against things to include itself. The first signs are a greyish discoloration and then holes can develop and these usually occur first on the inner sleeve where the sleeve rubs up against the coat. All you have to do is take a look at the used coats Canada Goose is selling in their Generations line of coats and many of the very good condition coats have at least some discoloration. Because I have a few winter coats I only have one Canada Goose Coat I bought in 2018 which shows some discoloration on the inside of the sleeves as this was the one I wore the most. Artic Tech does tend to remain rather flexible and still bend fairly easy in colder weather where more durable material just gets more stiff.

Canada Goose does retain its value pretty good since it's so highly in demand, however I was able to find my Moose Knuckles Stirling Parka about a week ago for 50% off. It was one day sale and I had been looking to see if it would. Moose Knuckles can be harder than many to find on sale but a good number of these luxury coats in this style can be found on sale if your willing to be patient. It does help to have a winter coat already but I do believe this season will be much easier to get a deal given how warm it has been. I've purchased a few nice coats this way. You don't always get the color you want so it helps to be a bit flexible. But I'll take Black instead of Blue for 50% off.,

The branding can be an issue on either one for many people as so many have a Canada Goose. and Moose Knuckles on the other hand because of what it looks like can be off putting to many.

Moose Knuckles is a slim fit which appeals to many but doesn't always work for everybody. I wear a XL in most every other coat I own and in fact wear a XL in the Moose Knuckles Gold Ballistic Bomber, but wear a XXL in the Stirling Parka. But the Stirling is a Parka and not a Bomber Jacket. The Stirling Parka also because of the material it is made of is a bit heavier than my Canada Goose Expedition. I would stick my neck out and say based on reviews I've seen where most who review the Moose Knuckles as having noticeably better material when comparing to most other luxury coats is that if Moose Knuckles is at least one step above most other coats of this type. It's not waterproof and the fur doesn't come off the hood but the hood does detach and some of their zippers are exposed but water will not seep into the coat and get the down wet like it would on the Canada Goose.

Last edited:
Moose Knuckles uses more durable materials than Canada Goose.

Canada Goose uses Artic Tech which worked fine in the eighties for expeditions. However the material doesn't work well when rubbing up against things to include itself. The first signs are a greyish discoloration and then holes can develop and these usually occur first on the inner sleeve where the sleeve rubs up against the coat. All you have to do is take a look at the used coats Canada Goose is selling in their Generations line of coats and many of the very good condition coats have at least some discoloration. Because I have a few winter coats I only have one Canada Goose Coat I bought in 2018 which shows some discoloration on the inside of the sleeves as this was the one I wore the most. Artic Tech does tend to remain rather flexible and still bend fairly easy in colder weather where more durable material just gets more stiff.

Canada Goose does retain its value pretty good since it's so highly in demand, however I was able to find my Moose Knuckles Stirling Parka about a week ago for 50% off. It was one day sale and I had been looking to see if it would. Moose Knuckles can be harder than many to find on sale but a good number of these luxury coats in this style can be found on sale if your willing to be patient. It does help to have a winter coat already but I do believe this season will be much easier to get a deal given how warm it has been. I've purchased a few nice coats this way. You don't always get the color you want so it helps to be a bit flexible. But I'll take Black instead of Blue for 50% off.,

The branding can be an issue on either one for many people as so many have a Canada Goose. and Moose Knuckles on the other hand because of what it looks like can be off putting to many.

Moose Knuckles is a slim fit which appeals to many but doesn't always work for everybody. I wear a XL in most every other coat I own and in fact wear a XL in the Moose Knuckles Gold Ballistic Bomber, but wear a XXL in the Stirling Parka. But the Stirling is a Parka and not a Bomber Jacket. The Stirling Parka also because of the material it is made of is a bit heavier than my Canada Goose Expedition. I would stick my neck out and say based on reviews I've seen where most who review the Moose Knuckles as having noticeably better material when comparing to most other luxury coats is that if Moose Knuckles is at least one step above most other coats of this type. It's not waterproof and the fur doesn't come off the hood but the hood does detach and some of their zippers are exposed but water will not seep into the coat and get the down wet like it would on the Canada Goose.
Are we still talking about parkas or the rich divorced cougers down in Florida that wear yoga pants and buy endless drinks at the beach bars?

Are we still talking about parkas or the rich divorced cougers down in Florida that wear yoga pants and buy endless drinks at the beach bars?
If your buying a coat like this and using it in Florida I can see why you would be having more than plenty to drink. For others who actually have weather where this coat makes more sense and especially at 50% off it's really not such a bad coat to have available to wear.

If your buying a coat like this and using it in Florida I can see why you would be having more than plenty to drink. For others who actually have weather where this coat makes more sense and especially at 50% off it's really not such a bad coat to have available to wear.
Since you're new on this site I advise you to lighten up.

And if you want to talk about parkas a lot of guys on here scoff at the idea of paying that much for a chinese product sized for skinny hipster assholes.

• Haha
Reactions: Greengo
Since you're new on this site I advise you to lighten up.

And if you want to talk about parkas a lot of guys on here scoff at the idea of paying that much for a chinese product sized for skinny hipster assholes.
Although it may have material coming from China it's Canadian made with Canadian labor so it kind of helps if you actually knew what you were talking about. Regardless one thing it has going for it is it is warm so I could give a crap who you think it's for. Man, if I only were skinny. LOL

My wife hints about a canada goose down jacket but I staggered away from the Canada Goose rack at Scheels after I saw the price for the parka was north of $1,600, I imagine there were cheaper ones on the rack but I was on my way away. It better go boom if I am going to spend $1,600 at scheels.

I have never lived in a state that did not border Canada so I have some experience, I would recommend layering, unless you are going to be static one heavy layer of goose down may create a sauna on a short walk. When it is cold I use polypro or merino wool long underwear, if really cold next layer is a Woolrich Alaskan wool shirt and wool pants, then a fleece vest, then a light fleece jacket and then for wind an anorak with big kangaroo pockets for mittens and watch cap. As my activity changes I can dump or add layers to keep from sweating.

Say if I am going to be on a stand while deer hunting the pants will be my Woolrich Malone bibs and then another layer of wool for my topside.

If I am just dashing to the car on a cold day headed some place I will be inside I will grab my Filson jacket which is 30 ears old and looking brand new they wear like iron, that way it is quick.

My wife hints about a canada goose down jacket but I staggered away from the Canada Goose rack at Scheels after I saw the price for the parka was north of $1,600, I imagine there were cheaper ones on the rack but I was on my way away. It better go boom if I am going to spend $1,600 at scheels.

I have never lived in a state that did not border Canada so I have some experience, I would recommend layering, unless you are going to be static one heavy layer of goose down may create a sauna on a short walk. When it is cold I use polypro or merino wool long underwear, if really cold next layer is a Woolrich Alaskan wool shirt and wool pants, then a fleece vest, then a light fleece jacket and then for wind an anorak with big kangaroo pockets for mittens and watch cap. As my activity changes I can dump or add layers to keep from sweating.

Say if I am going to be on a stand while deer hunting the pants will be my Woolrich Malone bibs and then another layer of wool for my topside.

If I am just dashing to the car on a cold day headed some place I will be inside I will grab my Filson jacket which is 30 ears old and looking brand new they wear like iron, that way it is quick.
Well since I took cold weather training in Alaska while in the military and it got as cold as -60 F Degrees Below zero and I did this twice I have a little experience with extreme cold weather. Layering is absolutely the right way to go about dressing for and surviving in an extreme cold weather environment. One because it's not all about staying warm but because it's also about not perspiring. Being able to vent or remove layers is just as important as being able to being able to put them on. Its called being able to regulate ones temperature.

However given my lifestyle currently I don't have to worrying about dealing with the same factors I did when I was in the military. It's frigging all about convenience and the fact I just simply prefer wearing the coats I'm wearing which also come with some better quality materials. I no longer have to worry about all that layer crap. I put on my coat over my T-Shirt and besides long john bottoms I just go outside in temperatures as cold as -15 F Degrees if not colder and stay perfectly warm. So yeah, buy the wrong one, use the wrong one your going to sweat like it's a sauna.

So all I have to do is get the right Down Coat because they aren't all equal and some work much better in colder or warmer weather depending on how much Down there is. A coat that works in -23 F Degrees weather and colder when it comes to a Down Coat doesn't work so well in +10 F Degrees weather. So finally it's how cold it is, and what my level of activity will be.

So yeah whether I chose to buy a Porsche or I chose to buy a Toyota it's not much different as both will get you there. It's matter of choice and being able to put on the coats that works best for me. However it really doesn't hurt that I bought them not only way before they cost $1750 and the fact that I bought most of them when they were on sale as well. No doubt still not the cheapest coat but still; much less then what they would have been. Besides I like them so that's all that matters.

Last edited: