• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Warne ring opinions?

r2shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2013
North MS.
I recieved a set of Warne Maxima fixed steel rings for basically free, the buddy that gave them to says he loves them & is what he always uses. They just won't fit his new scope. So I'm planning on putting my new .308 together tonight if my rail mount comes in.

Never having used a side clamping style type mount before I'm just looking for others opinions of pros/cons on these rings.

I've used 4 or 5 sets of them on various rifles (none bigger than a .308) and have had zero problems. They also leave no to minimal ring marks when you take them off. Nothing fancy, but for me they have worked well.

Cons - with the fixed rings, obviously any time you want to take the scope off, you're removing the rings completely. So don't use this version for any scope you intend to remove much. They also make a quick release version, but I'm not super impressed with its clamp and would use a different brand of ring like TPS (or nicer) if I wanted to remove and reinstall the scope with any frequency.

Warne makes quality rings. But after more than 40 years mounting scopes, I find that vertically split rings inherently more difficult (but not impossible) to get level and mounted than horizontally split rings. I find that same issue with all vertically split rings whether they are Warne's, Tally's, Conetrol's , Larue's , ADM's, et al.

It's just an inherent function of the design and my own lack of motor skills I guess. IMHO and YMMV

Ok thanks guys. I believe for now I'll give them a shot then, especially since they were free & nobody had any real deal breaking negatives to say about them. If need be I will upgrade/change out later.
Thanks again,
Richey

The Warne fixed rings are quality rings and have them on a couple of rifles. Very solid and have not had any issues with them. The only drawbacks are if you plan on switching scopes around and leveling the reticle as mentioned above. They are just not conducive to doing so.

They function just fine, but the assembly can be annoying with the loose recoil lug. Tighten them gradually starting with the bottom bolts first. level with the bottoms barely finger tight, then work on the top bolts.

I must be weird because I find them among the easiest to install and get the scope level. Just no fun to remove and reinstall. For rings under $75 or so they are about my only pick.

Real question....What will a $150 set of rings do that Warne Maxima's won't do? I've had em all, from Badger to NF to TPS to Talley to Warne to Leupold DD. I've never had a bit of trouble out of any of them if installed correctly. I need a set of 34's right know for a PMII, and for some reason, I'm feeling like I need to buy some "tactical" rings. For what reason...I don't know. I guess it's just what you're supposed to do. :)

+1 on the comment about installation from the bottom up. With the Warnes, level the scope using only enough torque on the bottom screws to stabilize the scope. Get relif and level taken care of, then fully torque the bottom before you torque the top screws at all. Follow this and you're golden.

Real question....What will a $150 set of rings do that Warne Maxima's won't do? I've had em all, from Badger to NF to TPS to Talley to Warne to Leupold DD. I've never had a bit of trouble out of any of them if installed correctly. I need a set of 34's right know for a PMII, and for some reason, I'm feeling like I need to buy some "tactical" rings. For what reason...I don't know. I guess it's just what you're supposed to do. :)

+1 on the comment about installation from the bottom up. With the Warnes, level the scope using only enough torque on the bottom screws to stabilize the scope. Get relif and level taken care of, then fully torque the bottom before you torque the top screws at all. Follow this and you're golden.

A quality set of rings (my preference is Seekins) are precision machined to properly fit a pic rail, stay put on the scope tube during disassembly, and allow you to quickly/easily install a scope in a different set of slots on the rail, or another rifle.

I have Warne on my 22, holding a Leupy VX-III LR in place. They work fine, but I prefer horizontally split rings...made of 7075-T651 Aluminum...by Seekins

I have 5 sets of Warne rings (regular and quick detach), all very good & well built products including bases - and decent price. :)

I've used multiple sets of Warne Maxima's on various rifles with great success. There were two scopes that had damn near nothing by way of ring marks. Not bad for 30.00.

Thanks again for all the help/suggestions. I'm going to give them a try. My rail finally came in so I should be installing her shortly.