• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Warranty Work: Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32

Thebelly

L R Newb
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2013
Optic: Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP EBR-1 MRAD purchased on 19 May of this year.

Gun: LaRue PredatAR 16" 7.62 w/ TBAC 30PS

Mount: LaRue SPR-S

Problem: Canted reticle

Situation: this happened between 200-250 rounds after it was mounted. The scope has seen several range days and three hog hunts (stalking, not in a blind). There haven't been any big bumps or knocks on the scope, and as such there are no dings or scratches on it, really.

Pics as it currently sits (I've got the bottom of the elevation knob sitting on quarters to keep it flat):

imagejpg1_zps8d2f335d.jpg

This one shows the position of the reticle against the elevation and wind age knobs. Its a bit off....

imagejpg2_zpsc740ce52.jpg

This isn't to bash the company or anything, but rather to document the process.

Update 1: The email I sent to customer service on Sunday (18 August) was not returned as of Tuesday (20 August) noon~ish. I called the customer service line and had a return authorization slip/prepaid shipping label emailed to me within 15 minutes. It's going out the door today via FedEX. It is scheduled to arrive on Friday 22 August.

UPDATE 2: I called today (21 August) and asked about if the likelihood of getting a replacement sent while they worked on mine. I cited the fact that they've done this in the past with other folks, but I certainly don't expect it. After verifying that my scope was actually in transit, the Rep told me that they would overnight a brand new one to me so that I could have it by the weekend. Actually, I should have it tomorrow.

UPDATE 3: Due to an admin error (which Vortex owned up to), I received the replacement scope today (25 August) instead of Friday. Boo. Hoo. It was in the original factory configuration, so it looks like they just took one off the shelf and sent it out. I'm OK with that.

Last edited:
Send it in, get it fixed. Be prepared for the debate, and vortex bashing again.

I'll get the popcorn.

This hardly ever happens. The Vortex PST line of scopes are probably one of if not the most reliable optics ever made.

The same thing happened to mine and it was newer than yours. This was two weeks ago. I went to the UPS store and shipped it on Monday, it was repaired and back at my doorstep the following Monday. Go to their website and you will get a claim form to fill out and instructions on how to send it back. It's fast and easy.

I started a thread about it to praise the quick turnaround and awesome warranty but it quickly turned into a Vortex bash fest as I'm sure this one will too.

I had to send in my 4-16x50 PST for several black specs/debris inside the glass (phone book trick didn't work). Sent in on Monday (prepaid shipping label from Vortex emailed to me) and had a brand new scope on that same Friday.

Outstanding Customer Service & Turnaround!

:cool:

Had oil spots on the inside glass on my 4-16x50 PST they sent me a prepaid envelope and had it back within 7 days.
That's pretty amazing in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say that "pretty amazing" would be a quality product with a lower failure rate and no oil, debris, or anything else on the lenses.

Sending you a new product promptly on their dime when they sell you a turd is just standard operating procedure.

Had oil spots on the inside glass on my 4-16x50 PST they sent me a prepaid envelope and had it back within 7 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had the same thing happen to my 6-24x50, in fact sent it in just last week. Didn't get a prepaid envelope though

I had to send in my 4-16x50 PST for several black specs/debris inside the glass (phone book trick didn't work). Sent in on Monday (prepaid shipping label from Vortex emailed to me) and had a brand new scope on that same Friday.

Outstanding Customer Service & Turnaround!

:cool:

Phone book trick? Please explain. I have never heard of this.

Never mind. Found my answer. Carry on.

Last edited:
I'd say that "pretty amazing" would be a quality product with a lower failure rate and no oil, debris, or anything else on the lenses.

Sending you a new product promptly on their dime when they sell you a turd is just standard operating procedure.

Do you have any idea what their actual failure rate is? How many they sell? And versus other brands?

Yes, you hear of a number of scopes with issues, but due to the price, they sell a LOT of scopes.

Do you have any idea what their actual failure rate is? How many they sell? And versus other brands?

Yes, you hear of a number of scopes with issues, but due to the price, they sell a LOT of scopes.

Anybody that can exercise a little common sense can see that it's way higher than it should be. Bushnell Elites are in the same price range, SWFA's are in the same price range or less, they sell a ton of scopes too and have been selling scopes longer and you don't hear of hardly any failures.

Anybody that can exercise a little common sense can see that it's way higher than it should be. Bushnell Elites are in the same price range, SWFA's are in the same price range or less, they sell a ton of scopes too and have been selling scopes longer and you don't hear of hardly any failures.

+1 ( did I just really plus-oned redneckbmxer .... )

I can see buying a sub-$200 scope from a third-world country (even though you still should've bought 10x40 elite) with belts and whistles so you can play around with knobs till they fall off (and they will), but it's really beyond me why would anyone buy a scope made in Philippines/Malaysia/Singapore/China if there are scopes with exact same features, same warranty and even the same price made in Japan!!!

So, I am a lucky one.......... so far.
While I am a long-time, unashamed NF whore I have purchased Vortex for some rifles mainly because of warranty and getting to know some Vortex employees. They aren't just good CS, they are good guys.
I have three 6-24x50 and one 4-16x50; all are PST with FFP. I also own one Razor 1-6 HD and one Razor spotting scope. One PST sits on a R700 5R 308 for a year now with over 500 rounds and the other on a GAP 7WSM for over 800 rounds. Not earth shattering amounts of range time for either but still no issue at all. The Razor 1-6 has withstood thousands of 556 and a few 3-gun matches where it was subjected to harsh conditions. I was also a party to a prairie dog hunt for the last three years that used lower end Vortex scopes exclusively. All rifles were bounced around in vehicles for a week, used for an average round count of well over 1000 rounds each, and shipped back and forth to SD for all three years EACH year. Not to mention the fact that these scopes have been stored in an non environmentally controlled storage unit between annual hunts (read really hot and really cold). There are still no crooked reticles and all have held zero.
Sorry, no problems there either.
Not doubting the stories on here though; guess I got all the good ones.

It'll get fixed/replaced in a week or two.

I like vortex scopes but they are more 'hobby' scopes than serious scopes. If I were you I'd think about a nightforce 2.5-10. They are much sturdier and the extra say 400-500$ between a used Vortex 2.5-10 and a used NF 2.5-10 is negligible when you compare it to the overall cost of various hunts throughout the year.

I'll be updating the original post. I figured that most folks would just come in and want the whole story rather tahn dig through what I'm semi-positive will be a polarizing thread about Vortex (at least judging by other threads about Vortex).

Update 3 is in the original post. They sent me a replacement scope.