• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Was set on a Leupold Mark 4 ER/T...

goldeneagle76

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2010
Delaware
want a FFP scope for a Remington 5R in 308. Was leaning towards the Loopie in 6.5-20x50 with FFP. But then I realized they do not have the zero stop. then I was thinking...do you really need zero stop when you have FFP and you can just use holdover? So, for $1500, is my money better spent somewhere else?

Re: Was set on a Leupold Mark 4 ER/T...

In my opinion, Leupold still makes a decent scope. However, they are a bit overpriced, and are just now starting to catch up with the rest of the market regarding available features. If you're set on one, go for it. If not, have a look around at what else is out there and then decide.

everyone wants to do a moon shot with all the latest go-fast gucci gear and i would make book that the shooter and the gear never make it past 100yd........takers ?

Banshee...NOT directed at you sir

we actually have shot together in years past....and i know you to throw "em well a lot further than 100yd...lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">everyone wants to do a moon shot with all the latest go-fast gucci gear and i would make book that the shooter and the gear never make it past 100yd........takers ? </div></div>

guessing it was directed at me since I started the post. Yes, just getting into longer range shooting, but have been hunting/shooting/reloading for years. Never bought a higher priced scope before (mostly just have Burris Fullfields on my hunting rifles) and was looking for some valuable input from you guys here. As far as not making it to 100 yds, pretty sure I'll be ok. Our range out here has 100, 300, 600...and 1000 yds in progress. I don't know why being a newbie on a forum automatically makes you a newbie to shooting in some peoples eyes.

You can spend a few hundred more and get into a Nightforce with zero stop and mil turrets (if you so choose). This is most definitely what i would do if I were in your shoes.

Joe

+1 for NF. my friend has a mark-4 he's been havin hell with it holding zero. i have a nxs 5.5-22 with zero-stop, and love it. for a couple hundred dollars more you definately get a better scope. and you dont have to sell your house to buy a S&B!

I have NF 3.5-15x50 ,Mk4 10x, S&B 3-12x50 and had a Premier 3.5-15x50 aswell. I shoot only at known distance ranges 100-600 but mostly 600 so FFP doesnt matter to me. The Mk4 is plenty good for me.I started out with a Mk4 6.5-20x50 and it was a BIG mistake ,too much power,reticle moves alot,more mirage is visible,just plain no no for me.If you can try out a buddies scope in that power first it would be best.Bigger isnt always better.Good luck to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have NF 3.5-15x50 ,Mk4 10x, S&B 3-12x50 and had a Premier 3.5-15x50 aswell. I shoot only at known distance ranges 100-600 but mostly 600 so FFP doesnt matter to me. The Mk4 is plenty good for me.I started out with a Mk4 6.5-20x50 and it was a BIG mistake ,too much power,reticle moves alot,more mirage is visible,just plain no no for me.If you can try out a buddies scope in that power first it would be best.Bigger isnt always better.Good luck to you. </div></div>

I am hoping to test some buddy's scopes out at the range first before buying one. I will definitely keep the higher power/reticle movement in consideration. thank you.