• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Washington D.C. ban on handgun carry ruled unconstitutional

c1steve

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 16, 2010
WA
Judge rules against Washington's handgun ban - CNN.com

One by one, these rulings are going in our favor:

A federal judge ruled that Washington's ban on the carrying of handguns in public is unconstitutional.

In a ruling made public Saturday, Judge Frederick J. Scullin Jr. said that "there is no longer any basis on which this court can conclude that the District of Columbia's total ban on the public carrying of ready-to-use handguns is constitutional under any level of scrutiny.

Read the ruling (.pdf)

Scullin made the ruling on Thursday in U.S. District Court, according to the published opinion.

The Washington Post reported that it wasn't clear Saturday night what immediate effect the decision would have.

The defendants cited in the judge's opinion were the District of Columbia and its police chief, Cathy Lanier.

The plaintiffs were four individuals and the Second Amendment Foundation, a group that advocates the right to firearms.

I live in VA right next to DC and I will not travel into the city without the promise of free booze, outstanding food, or to make my wife happy. Maybe someday soon our kind will be welcome there.