• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

watch suggestions

jackh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2008
College Station, TX
anyone have a luminox watch? i would like a watch i can wear when i dress nice, but will also take a beating and i dont have to worry about. not sure if theres one that will do both for a good price so im thinking about getting one of the cheaper luminox for everyday use and get a nicer watch for nice attire. they seem pretty indestructible and i love the little illumination tubes.

Re: luminox watches?

Great watch, but get the stainless or titanium for work and play.

I hate Luminox watches. I think they're crap and you couldn't give me one. In fact, you couldn't pay me to wear one if my job relied on accurate and reliable time piece. (I've had two bust on me in the Navy)

They are a marketing company.

There are many other, better choices out there to fill the role you are looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone have a luminox watch? i would like a watch i can wear when i dress nice, but will also take a beating and i dont have to worry about. not sure if theres one that will do both for a good price so im thinking about getting one of the cheaper luminox for everyday use and get a nicer watch for nice attire. they seem pretty indestructible and i love the little illumination tubes. </div></div>

chinese movement, crap watch and i own one.

I would have to agree with Mike and Shankster on this one. Not very reliable and can not take much punishment (personal experience).

Basically a marketing company that had a cheap copy of the Stocker & Yale Sandy P650 watch made.

Hmmm... I have to disagree with the bad reviews. I'm on my second and the first one is at the bottom of the ocean... Probably still working! My latest is a 3102. I got it here on the Hide. I was looking for a decent price on one that didn't have "NAVY SEALS" on the face. (Just didn't want to disrespect the "Teams"). I've only had this one for a few months but it's still within a second of where I set it.

The movement on mine is Swiss. Stamped right on the movement. There are Chinese fakes out there so be careful. I know Luminox hardly seems worthy of having "fakes" out there but I've seen at least one.

I apologize for the mistake. Luminox does have a swiss movement. It is the Swiss Army watch I have that has the chinese movement in it. My Luminox is still not what I expect for durability. They are visible 24/7 in darkness. That is one thing they have going for them.

ya i was about to say i thought they were swiss movement.

well what would you recommend instead in the same price range? im looking to spend around $200 and really like the tritium tubes.

a guy on another forum recommended a marathon sar. he said it will go with any attire, it will take a good beating and is very reliable. only problem is a new one is way out of my budget and im not too open to the idea of buying a used watch.

I've got a nice G-Shock that is metal with a metal band. It was no where near $200, is a G-Shock, and was Automatic so it never needed batteries. Plus, it had the atomic clock function so it always had the correct time.

Buy this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CASIO-MDV102-1AV-SEA...=item4aa6f09928

$50.00

and this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...686690&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1557wt_660

$20.00

and get this:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/casio-mdv102-1av-diver-watch-revival-256060.html

It's 200m water resistant, quartz, the top button is an illuminator that is so bright you can use to as a flashlight. It is my cheapest watch by far and it's the one people complement me the most on. Go figure. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

and get this:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/casio-mdv102-1av-diver-watch-revival-256060.html

It's 200m water resistant, quartz, the top button is an illuminator that is so bright you can use to as a flashlight. It is my cheapest watch by far and it's the one people complement me the most on. Go figure. LOL
</div></div>

Funny thing is I have this exact watch. I bought it after one of my Luminox watches flooded and I needed a quick dive watch as I was out of town. It does keep great time, looks good, the light is tremendously bright, and it has been down over 100' numerous times diving. I even loaned it to JRose during his scuba course.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

and get this:

</div></div>

Funny thing is I have this exact watch. I bought it after one of my Luminox watches flooded and I needed a quick dive watch as I was out of town. It does keep great time, looks good, the light is tremendously bright, and it has been down over 100' numerous times diving. I even loaned it to JRose during his scuba course. </div></div>

Here is the Illuminator:
Dscn6742.jpg

$200 is a good amount of money. You are really right in between Casio (quality cheap stuff) and expensive watches. I have a Tissot T-Touch Ti watch and love it. It is a little more money, but the quality is great. Not that I want to sell it, but it is still worth just a little less than I paid. You can't get that with Luminox. I would save up for a "nice" watch.

i like that casio and its a good price. is it a good quality watch for the money? is it as durable as a marathon?

what do you do when your tritium tubes wear out? i know they last like 15 years but if im going to spend $400 on a watch, lets hope ill still be wearing it then...

also, are marathons sold in any stores where i could walk in and try one on?

My Luminox has held up very well to the towboat life for the last 2 years, and has kept perfect time since i have owned it.

i like the victorinox (Swiss army)watches i have 5 of them including the one posted below they keep great time and i i have onw that i have worn every day for the last 7 years work and play i beat the hell out of that thing and it just keeps on going. mine range from $250-$750 my next watch will be a Rolex i just have not been able to stop buying guns long enough to purchase one.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001U8D346/ref=...ASIN=B001U8D346

http://www.google.com/products/cata...log_result&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CFAQ8gIwAw#

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Alpnach-241382/dp/B00309VSA4

this is the one i wear every day and i love it

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:56&biw=1503&bih=629

Ive had mine for 10 years and it broke after the 2 year warranty
it was out of warranty by 60 days and it fogged over so I shipped it to them to inspect $20 each way so we are at $40 and I had to pay to have it inspected and pay to have the seal replaced when it was said and done it cost me just under 140 and when I got it back
the battery died a week later . I felt they could have taken alittle better care of me than they did.
in my opinion the customer service SUCKED and I will not spend another dollar with them .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy this:

$50.00

and this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...686690&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1557wt_660

$20.00

and get this:

</div></div>

I thank you and the wife thanks you!

I was about to buy a Luminox but was having trouble justifying the 400 bucks 8402 model.

I just ordered the CASIO-MDV102-1AV-SEA-ANALOG-ILLUMINATOR-DIVERS-WATCH from Amazon for $45.00 and ordered a 4 pack of Nato (James Bond) Straps from gnomonwatches.com for $55.00 shipped. Just saved myself 300 bucks! LOL!

I already have a Buren and a Seiko.

Thanks again,
~HF~

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huntinfool</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy this:

$50.00

and this:

$20.00

and get this:

</div></div>

I thank you and the wife thanks you!

I was about to buy a Luminox but was having trouble justifying the 400 bucks 8402 model.

I just ordered the CASIO-MDV102-1AV-SEA-ANALOG-ILLUMINATOR-DIVERS-WATCH from Amazon for $45.00 and ordered a 4 pack of Nato (James Bond) Straps from gnomonwatches.com for $55.00 shipped. Just saved myself 300 bucks! LOL!

I already have a Buren and a Seiko.

Thanks again,
~HF~ </div></div>

You're welcome. Here is a pic with the gray/black NATO strap:
2cdvg92.jpg

i guess basically i could pay $2-300 for a luminox and hope it lasts a while and i get good cs, then pay another $2-300 for a dress watch. or i could pay ~$450 for a marathon tsar and ~$150 for a bracelet to dress it up and be done?

ya thats what i think i will do. what happens when those tritium tubes wear out? i just cant decide if i like the idea of having them or not. i know they would be kick ass at night or in the duck/deer blind etc, but 5 years from now they will be dimmer and i might not like them quite as much. 15 or 20 years from now, they might be useless and i wont be able to read the time at all in the dark. what do i do then?

You buy a new watch. I've never priced it, but I'm guessing the replacement cost would almost rival the cost of a new watch.

Of course I buy a new watch every few years anyhow as my taste or technology changes.

anyone on here own a marathon tsar?

if so, are you satisfied with it? any problems so far? does it keep time well?

just asking because im thinking of getting one for christmas, but ive recently read a few bad things about their QC and accurately keeping time. thanks for any advice.

I have had 2 luminox f 117 nighthawk watches. The first one lost a tritium crystal after 3 months. They replaced it no problem (Not salztmans the old repair center). Second has had lots of daily wear but no problems for 3 years then the unidirectional bezel retaining ring broke. Called Saltzmans (the repair center) they were absolute jerks said it was a dicontinued watch and they probably didn't have the part anymore. Didn't check a schematic or anything. I thought I might of just caught someone on a bad day so I called back. Different person same answer. You can send it in but I doubt we have the parts. I find it really hard to believe that that watch with the exact same size bezel as many of their others has a unique bezel retaining ring. Its not like the bezel has to match I still have it.
Anyway it is a shame because the watch is titanium and I really liked it. Probably one of my favorite watches. With that kind of service I wouldn't buy another one. It's a shame to because I have now been without a watch for a year. It sits on my desk keeping perfect time just no bezel. I have read this thread hoping some one would come up with a medium priced watch that I like like my nighthawk but I just haven't seen that watch yet.
JMO
Rad

i have one also and it stopped working, so i changed the battery and it never worked again. i then sent it to saltzmans for repair since it was fairly new, long story short $75.00 later it work fine but for how long i dont know. moral of the story buy a cheap one change the band and you will be good to go.

I'm glad I saw this thread because I was wanting a nice quality watch and had even surfed the Luminox home page... I now won't touch it with a ten foot pole.
I'll go casio and nato...
Thanks for the insight.
....SmokeRolls

My G-Shock DW-9052 is super freakin reliable. It has been through quite a bit of abuse, and still looks like it is brand new. I like the fact that all of the buttons are protected from accidental activation, and the rubber watch band is easy to clean. My other watch bands end up holding on to the sweat and stinkin to high heaven.

All the good stuff, nothing I don't need... and $50.

DK

I had many Luminox in the past decade and beat the crap out of all of them and never had a single problem. Still wear them from time to time when not wearing a TAG or GShock.

If you want a watch that could be considered as a 'shooters watch', take a look at the Suunto X-Lander as it has a built-in altimeter, barometer, and thermometer.

hSU151_v.jpg

Re: watch suggestions

In my opinion, that watch shouldn't be classified as a 'shooting watch' simply because it has a ballistic calculator and chronograph.

There are many ballistic apps available so that eliminates the need to have one in the watch.

What you do need, however, if you don't have a Kestrel the Suunto X-Lander will be what you're looking for. The only thing it can't do is tell you the wind speed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a watch that could be considered as a 'shooters watch', take a look at the Suunto X-Lander as it has a built-in altimeter, barometer, and thermometer.

hSU151_v.jpg
</div></div>
I have one of these and its a great watch

The Suunto I owned was junk. Maybe I just had a bad experience. For work I use a cheap timex. Does the job and lasts longer than many expensive alternatives.

I have punished my X lander and it just ticks right along. Great watch. Takes a little education to master the functions.

I have a G-Shock 3179, I wouldn't buy it again, just too bulky for me. Going to have my Swiss mailed to me and put a nylon band on it.