• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Watch your Credit Cards.

Thud

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2007
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Today marked the 2nd time in 2 weeks that I have had bogus charges on my cards.
    Make sure you check daily and only use a TRUSTED site and vendor.
    It's a pain calling the card company and answering their questions, I know it's needed to be done.
    And the wait for the new card.
    Remember be safe and watch your back. Bad guys are everywhere.
    And the worst part about this they very rarely catch them.

Today marked the 2nd time in 2 weeks that I have had bogus charges on my cards.
    Make sure you check daily and only use a TRUSTED site and vendor.
    It's a pain calling the card company and answering their questions, I know it's needed to be done.
    And the wait for the new card.
    Remember be safe and watch your back. Bad guys are everywhere.
    And the worst part about this they very rarely catch them.

You got hacked on a brand new card?

I went through 3 cards in 2 months on one account earlier this year. Been good since, fingers crossed.

there is one online merchant that when i used a cc it got misused somewhere in 2-3 weeks. I think a bunch of online merchants have no idea how to secure your info (ps wasnt in the precision rifle arena, but another gun parts place). they deny any breach but having had it 3 times in 3 months and i only used that last 2 cards there to prove a point shows they either are abetting or lying.

Had this happen a few times over the years. My CC company is all over it. They usually catch it before I do. Called me once to ask if I spent 3K at Walmart 3AM the morning before. Uh, no shop Walmart. No shop anywhere at 3AM...well, maybe Powder Valley.

Yup. Opened it up to verify. 20 minutes later a false charge.

Your example has nothing to do with using a on-line vendor. Your own admission was on a "new card, charged in 20 minutes" that would mean your credit card issuing company has been hacked.

The only other way would have been someone opened the envelope, copied the number, re-sealed the envelope, and sold the number on-line......could happen, not really likely.

Reactions: wh20crazy
    Yup. Opened it up to verify. 20 minutes later a false charge.
    Is it a reward points card?
    The rewards site is usually separate from CC account site. When my CC got compromised, the crook got into my rewards account and set himself up as account holder (with his own email). When card got replaced they got nly change the last 4 digits. Gues what they show on points site? Yep last 4 diigits.

So I had the same thing happen. Brand new card wacked right away. Then when the second card was terminated withoud success. They tried stealing all my reward points. That’s how I figured out what was going on and found the bogus email/user identity on the points website. The fucker got and email notification when new card was issued.

I bank with Wells Fargo and have my accounts set up to notify my phone anytime there is a charge against my cards. I suggest that you all look into it if you don't have it already set up.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    I bank with Wells Fargo and have my accounts set up to notify my phone anytime there is a charge against my cards. I suggest that you all look into it if you don't have it already set up.
    I've done that several times. These slipped through.

Very frequently when your card is hacked the numbers are taken from your hacked computer and not necessarily a vendor downstream. This is the most frequent cause of "my card got hacked the second I used it somewhere".

You got hacked on a brand new card?

Yes this does happen. My wife had a card that got hacked 3 times in a row, the last time we had not even called the activation number on the front of the card, we just let it sit for a week (never used or activated by us) and it had fraudulent charges

Has to be a thief inside the CC company

Not likely, its likely that the fraudsters have cracked the account number algorithm. I worked in the credit card industry for 15 years, you'd be surprised by how creative the fraud rings can get.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
    What about the activation? they cracked that too? The card I had was never activated. That was a huge point I make with the CC company about that 3rd card being hacked.

I have tried to use un-activated cards in the past and the card did not work. Activated it, then it worked

Unless that card was mailed to me already activated, it should not have worked, right?

What amount charges are yall seeing? Smaller charges or are they blowing it up?

A lot of times they send replacement cards already activated, it depends on the issuing banks policy.

I usually see fraud on my cc once a year on all different cards from different companies. It stinks but i appreciate the security of not having that money out of pocket.

I had it happen with a company CC. New card came and within minutes of activation it had a fraudulent charge. The bank we use said these people have computers run numbers and attempt charges. If they go through they use the number immediately. Might be a small charge or a large one. This was what they said back when it happened, maybe 2014?

They have readers installed over the gas pump readers. Reads your card as you install it to pay. One of our reps in Houston used a new card one night while we were all at a bar/restaurant. Later that night he had fraud charges. Maybe someone used a reader, or just wrote the number down when he paid for the meal. There are so many ways they get your CC numbers these days.

About a month ago now I had fraud on my debit card for like 2200... Bank flagged it and took care of it(money back in my account in 72 hours)...

I was traveling the weekend after it happened and only had my secondary use credit card on me. Woke up second morning of being out of town with fraud on that card(it is setup to alert me on every purchase)... I sat there thinking "do I call them on this or let it go until Tuesday when I get home"... about 5 minutes later I get an email on a second suspected fraud charge and they killed my card... Shit im out of town with 11 bucks in my wallet.

Anyway, I filed police reports on both, and it actually seems like the detective is legit trying to go after this(she called me yesterday about 2.5-3 weeks after I filed the report to update me) although she said it is up to the bank if they want to prosecute and she said most dont.

So now im trying to only use my real credit card 99% of the time since any fraud would never be "my money" and I only use the debit card to get cash from known safe ATM's... The detective said only use ATM's at the physical bank because they check them for skimmers daily. She said never use a stand alone ATM anywhere, no matter what.

Reactions: kenny1773
    What amount charges are yall seeing? Smaller charges or are they blowing it up?

I never had an issue with my credits cards until this year. I've had two separate credit cards stolen In the span of just a few months. I have no proof, but I think my first card was stolen by a card skimmer. The thief was definitely local as all the charges were in towns 40 minutes away. First charge was a few dollars at Coca Cola machine that accepted cards. Then it quickly escalated with the thief going to a shoe store for $300, and another department store for nearly $500 before my credit card company caught the charges.

Whoever stole my second card went to an online electronics website and made multiple $400-$600 charges before placing one last whopping $1300 charge before I caught it.

I definitely feel that these criminals test the waters.