• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Water transfer and bedding?

Northland

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2010
Louisiana
Couldn't find the answer anywhere...

I want to get my Mcmillan stock dipped in the water transfer. My stock is already bedded. I have no idea what is in the water, chemicals, etc. Just want to know if getting it dipped will mess anything up... I'm sure someone on here will know.

Thanks!!!

Re: Water transfer and bedding?

It shouldn't. Just water, with a piece of film (paint part), which is sprayed with activator that simply dissolves the pattern. I had an A5 bedded done, no harm no fould to the marine tex.

All bedding should be masked off with the exception of maybe along the chamber area (rails), and or along the action (action sides). There is not a process out there that effects bedding of any sort.

Masking tape, exacto knife, and a real steady hand
wink.gif

I asked Matt about this at roberts outdoor hydrographics,and this was his reply:
Bob,
We tape off all of the bedding, so that will not be a problem. The cost for just the stock would be $110.00. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Thanks,

Matt Bennett

that stuff looks cool.
where are you getting it done?
whats the going rate for a stock?
how strong is that stuff with respect to scratch resistance?
do they put a protective coat on it afterwards?
is it an oil based pain?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Couldn't find the answer anywhere...

I want to get my Mcmillan stock dipped in the water transfer. My stock is already bedded. I have no idea what is in the water, chemicals, etc. Just want to know if getting it dipped will mess anything up... I'm sure someone on here will know.

Thanks!!! </div></div>

Hydrofilm should work no problem, I know on metal you want to apply it over parkerize and clear coat over that. On a stock it may be a base coat of paint, and clear over the film.

If you go through someone who doesn't clear coat if can peel and flake off later.