• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Waterfowlers: duracoat vs duct tape

Boyscout618

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2011
DC area
Hey everyone, I have been goose and upland hunting for a few years now, but I have a question for you guys about how to cover my shotgun barrel: obviously, duracoat is very strong, tough, and fairly inexpensive. Many guys on here sing its praises all the time. This isn't that part I am worried about, it is more the camouflage duct tape. How well will it hold up, how protective is it, etc? I have a newer Remmy 870 express super mag, and those of you with something similar know the finish ain't terrific. What would be my best option for camouflaging/protecting the barrel, pump, and action? Also, if I go with the duracoat, what pattern/color do you recommend?
As a side note, I do plan on doing a separate project if I get some duracoat. I have a Becker BK-2 that needs a new finish, and figured this would be the best way to go about it.
Thanks a bunch guys!

Re: Waterfowlers: duracoat vs duct tape

have shot lots and lots of ducks and geese and the old 870 wingmaster has never changed since except for the dings and dents on it. i would not worry and duct tape sucks ass unless you like sticky rusted up shit

I grew up shooting an old 870 that was shiny as hell. Keep the gun down until you are ready to shoot it. By the time the ducks see it, it will be too late. If you really want to cover it up, get it dipped in any pattern you want. Or the cheap way is just cover it with tape. What are you worried about protecting it from? Surface Rust?

Mainly surface rust, the newer 870 expresses have a shotty matte black finish that (litterally) begins rusting in a couple hours, or if exposed to humidity for extended periods of time. Getting every drop out of every rib is tough, don't think I haven't been doing that, although it still reddens up. Those wingmasters are blued, so they don't have this issue.
I'm not hunting ducks from a blind, it's more goose hunting, laying on a mat in a field covered in that morning's dew-covered grass, so keeping the gun dry and out of sight is near on impossible. Its looking like I'm gonna be ordering up some duracoat...

If they get close enough to see a bit of shine, they should be dead

I agree duct tape sucks ass. Shiny things have flared more than one duck for me tho.

regardless of what you choose, DO NOT USE DUCK DAPE.

the camo form wrap would be a cheap option, but duck tape is a HUGE mistake.

In my experience, duck tape allows and holds moisture between the layers, causing rust. If you want to kill the glare, kryon works well, adds some measure of protection, costs $12, and is easy to reapply if it wears.

As others have stated....duck tape is BAD!!!! It will hold moisture and it WILL rust under it.

Buy a can of Bulldog adhesion promoter and use it as a base layer before applying the Krylon color(s) of your choice.

i dont goose hunt but i duck and dove hunt finished this up last night. find you someone close by who hydro dips. i use a deal flat clear on it when im done to protect the pattern. cleans up with a damp rag now. im going to find a composite stock and forearm to dip instead of messing up my wood stock.
optima.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">spray it with Krylon, reapply as needed </div></div> Here ya go! And you can take if off later if necessary.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I ended up going the krylon route, as it seemed easiest and it looks like it has high recommendation. I also did a 10/22 stock a while ago, so it wasn't totally unfamiliar territory.
(Yes, crappy cell phone pics, I know...)
All taped up:
1346359107.jpg

Sans tape:
1346359106.jpg

1346359103.jpg

And all pieced together:
1346359099.jpg

Thanks again everyone. Now I'm even more jacked for goose season!

I Duracoated my coyote rifle about four years ago. It gets more use than any gun I have. I used to do the camo vet wrap, camo tape, camo duct tape- they all suck! You'll be happy witht the Duracoat. Krylon even beats tape in my opinion.

The duracoat holds up exceptionally well. The only places i have worn it out on the coyote ris is under the bolt knob, and a bit on the ensd of the muzzle where it rides in a soft case in the truck.

Use McNett camo form wrap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LeviSS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use McNett camo form wrap. </div></div>

+1 on this. It sticks only to its self so there is no glue on your gun. One $10-$15 roll should do most of your shotgun. It comes in several camo patterns. Cant go wrong with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gknutson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LeviSS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use McNett camo form wrap. </div></div>

+1 on this. It sticks only to its self so there is no glue on your gun. One $10-$15 roll should do most of your shotgun. It comes in several camo patterns. Cant go wrong with it. </div></div>

It's good stuff but take it off frequently, it traps moisture. Before you know it you have rust. My two cents from the school of hard knocks.

I do a whole lot of rolling around on levies, in the middle of spreads, etc. If you have to camo your gun do it like you are with something you can spray back on easily. I've used my old 870(well it was new in 1970)and now a Benelli SBEI I've had since they first came out both with just standard finishes with no camo. If it can rub off it will and anything you have to tape on your gun is gonna wear down and have to be replace. The flat black (Benelli) and the little wood on my 870 has never scared the birds away.

Personally I think camo'd guns don't do crap. It looks cool but I just haven't seen it play a difference in 40+ years of bird hunting.

edt: The profile of a black sg looks like a big stick to a bird.

edt2: Nice paint job on your SG though!!