• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Waxed Canvas Bag

Maelstrom

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2007
Southern Maryland
I just received my first waxed canvas shooting bag. What do I need to do to take care of it? Do I need to reapply the coating at some point? If so what do I use and how do I reapply it?

You don't have to do anything (maybe wipe it down with a damp towel), but if you want it to stay somewhat tacky use Otterwax. Take a hairdryer and heat the bag, rub wax on it, and then hit it with the hairdryer again to help it absorb into the fabric.
Thank you sir. Appreciate the information and help. Having never owned anything waxed canvas before I want to take care of it but was not sure how.

Reactions: superde
Hey we sell the bags - but we also sell tin's of the wax:

This is made by the manufacturer of the fabric, so is exactly the same stuff on our material. Not sure how it compares to the other stuff, but its what we use and recommend to our customers to restore the finish.

Reactions: Holliday
Fjallraven and Filson also make refinishing wax. It looks like all of the brands use the same two ingredients (paraffin and bees wax), so whatever is easy to get or on sale.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
Fjallraven and Filson also make refinishing wax. It looks like all of the brands use the same two ingredients (paraffin and bees wax), so whatever is easy to get or on sale.

That's the same stuff the Brits used in their waxed canvas jackets and trousers.
It gives the canvas clothing some pretty good water proofing and a smooth texture.

A co-worker bought one of the jackets during the Gulf War. He bought a cheap brand and every time he wore that fucker it smelled like diesel.
They probably used extra paraffin to get the wax to smooth out and apply quicker.

Told him not to cheap out, but nooooooo, he wouldn't listen. 😂😂

(Wow, cool story bro)

makes shooting easier. Just like the wax, heavy fill vs light, etc, effect the rifle, but not the BC.

However. Effects the BC (Ball Coefficient) for other activities.

The shower is a much better idea. Cold or lukewarm water, no soap stronger than shampoo. You can put it in the machine, cold water only, no dryer.