• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WC844 in a .308 Gasser.... Has anyone tried this powder?

dlouie87

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2010
CA
Hello,

I know that WC844 is similar to H335. I have been looking up different loads for a .308 gasser and I found that some are using the ligther 110gr bullets to get a higher velocity. Some of the 110gr loads are with H335 and ar-comp so I was just wondering if anyone has tried to load with WC844 military surplus powder?

Thanks.

Ive shot H335 in my LMT MWS with 147g M80 pulls. I cant talk about the lighter weight 110g stuff though.

Hmmm... I'm just trying to see if I should use this WC844. I've read some threads on other forums that stated it's pretty similar to h335.... but I can't find any data.

I say use it.
I don't load those light bullets in the .308 but I have used WC846 in the .308. Because you don't really know if your lot of WC844 will be faster or slower than any given lot of H335, use starting loads for H335 or reduce them even 5-10%. If you have a chronograph, all the better. You can watch the velocity and compare it to the published H335 starting load. If you surpass the velocity for the starting charge of H335 with a lower charge of powder then you know your WC844 is faster burning in your application and you would then not approach the max published load.
The surplus powder I have on hand -4 different powders all have label stating something like "This burns like such and such, use such and such data -10% and work up." The best advise is to start with the powder suppliers recommendation.
I use a chronograph with surplus until I get a feel for each lot and how each lot acts. The WC844 I have on hand now is real close to H335, just a wee bit faster.