• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WC867 for 50BMG

REELDOC

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 19, 2002
Triad, NC
Upon advice from some folks on the 50BMG web site I loaded up some 660 pulls from Pat's using 210, 215 and 220 grains of WC867 from Widners. Saturday the 210 charge showed pretty bad pressure issues at the primer so the test was terminated. Rifle is an AR50, brass is LC07, primers are CCI35's. I fully prepped the brass and did all necessary head space and COAL work on the loads. I realize this powder isn't the ideal for lighter weight bullets but I couldn't find any BMG50 at the time. My next option is to drop to 190 and 200 grain loads or to pick up some H5010 or 50BMG and stop using the WC867. Anyone have any comments on the WC867? FWIW, I have no pressure issues with either factory PMC, Federal or Hornady.

210 is a low charge with almost any powder
sounds like the pressure issue might have been from the powder charge being to lite
was the neck all covered in soot like the brass didnt seal in the chamber?

867 isnt the slowest powder out there
ive never played with 867 as i scored several 8lb jugs of 5010 a few years back and im still burning through that

I've used IMR 5010, WC860, 869, 872 and 890 and had good results with all. I started at about 210gr with all of them and ended up at about 225-240 depending on the powder. I never saw any pressure signs with the 872 or the 890 as I think they're a bit slow. 240gr of 890 gave the same velocity as 235 of 872. These loads were all using 650-660 gr API. I'm not sure where the 867 fits into the speed range but 210 seems a bit low. Even the 860 which is a powder used in the .50 is loaded at 225gr or so. 5010 is loaded at 225gr as well and its fairly fast compared to the others.
All my testing was done in a Boys anti tank rifle converted from its original .55 cal to US 50 BMG. It has a 36" barrel and is a bolt action.

Frank

I have used the wc867 with alot of success in an bushmaster bolt action 50 cal. I use 225.0 gr. under 647 gr. xm-33 pills. I am sub moa at 600 yards with this load. No psi issues at all and i am using lc brass fully prepped brass. I am not sure if this will help you or not i started my test at 210 grains of powder and it shot bad but no psi issues.

I have gone up to 225g with the 660 pulls. No pressure signs. Shot well at 220 so I just went with that. Rifle is an AR50

Primers were extremely flat as compared to fired factory PMC, Federal A/E and Hornady. I'm going to order some H50bmg and some Reloader 50 and work up some new loads. I'm also going to get a bullet sizer and resize the sized bullets.

Last night I took the 6 fired pieces of surplus LC brass and examined them against the factory fired brass. They all blew out to the same headspace. I'm setting the shoulders back .003-.006 which is minimum were the bolt closes with moderate pressure.

Good idea on running the bullets through a sizer. That has always seemed to get mine to shoot better with the pulls, and it will eliminate the chance of fatter pills in there or pull defects making issues.

The h50bmg is good stuff; I use it when I am not being cheap. I am sure you will like it.