• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

We need a new PRS/NRL backpack.

drshoot

Meat Popsicle
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2017
Minnesota
I've been searching for a few years to find the ideal NRL/PRS backpack that would hold those things we use in a two day match. I haven't found a single bag that has the features that I think would make me more efficient in getting from stage to stage. I have tried the Eberlestock G4 and LoDrag II. They are good bags that are well build but they are for soldiers. I don't need a laptop pocket and getting my rifle with a 28 inch barrel into and out of the scabbard is a hassle. I primarily use the LoDrag II backpack to carry my other stuff and simply carry my rifle or I wear a sling but I think there must be an easier way. I'm thinking now we should consider telling manufacturers what we want and maybe it can become a reality.
What does your ideal bag look like?

Mine would look something like this:
1. It should easily allow insertion of a rifle. This would be to load and unload the rifle in a safe direction with a bipod installed. Perhaps it could have a zipper on the side of the scabbard to help this along.
2. It should have a place to put a tripod. Again, easy on and easy off. Hopefully it will be stable enough to allow us to leave the binoculars or spotting scope attached. Maybe it would have a shelf and snap buckles. Stuffing it into a scabbard or allowing it to partially hang and flop around isn't an option. The feet of the tripod are going to get muddy at some matches and it would be nice have it clean and secure/stable.
3. It should have a place to put ammo boxes or a section of Velcro to put the Armageddon gear 40/40 ammo holder or two.
4. Magazine pouches x4.
5. A place to internally put a game-changer and a rear bag . I have them attached externally now but I hate when they flop around.
6. It should have a handy place to put a Kestrel, a bottle of water, a fix-it-stix or similar pouch, and a pair of knee pads.
7. A place to put dope cards, pens, and the course of fire book. I have a propensity to lose this stuff given I'm intermittently retarded.
8. A place for a hat, sunglasses, and ear protection. Perhaps, it could have an external pouch for rain gear.
9. Lighter than the LoDragII and as durable. :):ROFLMAO::LOL: I can't keep a straight face on that one either. This thing will cost a fortune)
10. It can't have too much room. With the G4 I brought the kitchen sink. The pockets should be specific if possible.

I have considered getting the buggy but it doesn't help when we have to travel by plane for a match. Sherpa was on the list but that shit is expensive.

Last edited:
Did you mention food, water, extra socks, undergarments? You said 2 day match, so I'm assuming you're prepping to do some real movement. And do you really really need to carry everything around, all the time, forever?

I used these for many years for work:

I present to you the USMC Individual Load Bearing Equipment Main Pack:

For you Gucci gear people ... it was designed by Arc'teryx, manufactured by Propper.

337-large_default.jpg

Has MOLLE webbing to attach all your pockets/pouches you want, each side has straps and a elastic pockets on the bottom originally designed to hold a mortar tube on one side and sleeping bag pad on the other. You could put a rifle on one side and a tripod on the other.

Last edited:
I have the Eberlestock up ranger pack delivering today. It’s supposed to be a dedicated match pack. They didn’t have the rifle case attachment in stock yet so I’ll have to ge that at a later time. It says you can attach a tripod to it. I’ll experiment this evening when I get it

I just got the low drag II to try as a bag. I feel like I am going to like it for PRS. I use the bottom part of the main compartment for mini GC and that crazy heavy 16 lb fortune cookie and on the shelf above it is where i put my ammo.

Reactions: drshoot
I have the Eberlestock up ranger pack delivering today. It’s supposed to be a dedicated match pack. They didn’t have the rifle case attachment in stock yet so I’ll have to ge that at a later time. It says you can attach a tripod to it. I’ll experiment this evening when I get it
I'm super curious about this bag. I'm looking for something that can be used both for a one & two day matches where I carry a bit less stuff and for range trips where I carry similar equipment but more of it, lol. I also don't have that itch to fill every space just cause it's there, lol. Looking forward to your thoughts!

I'm super curious about this bag. I'm looking for something that can be used both for a one & two day matches where I carry a bit less stuff and for range trips where I carry similar equipment but more of it, lol. I also don't have that itch to fill every space just cause it's there, lol. Looking forward to your thoughts!

I’ll fill it with all my crap tonight and post pictures

Reactions: david8989
I’ve heard many people mention a pack for a 1 day vs 2 day match.

What is the reasoning behind that? I bring the same exact stuff with me during a 1 day as I do a two day match.

My day 2 ammo stays in the truck. My cleaning supplies in case i need to clean after day 1 stays in the truck.

What additional items are you carrying at a two day that you wouldn’t carry at a one day match?

All of the two day matches I’ve shot on the east coast are basically just two 1 day matches back to back

I have a lodrag that I had been using and really liked it but never actually used the fold out rifle scabbard for a rifle. I just used that slot for carrying the tripod and quick access for coat, gloves, etc. well I picked up another used lodrag and sent it to Fehu Outdoor and he cut the fold out part of the rifle scabbard off and sewed it up for me. Dropped some weight and increased the storage in the bag. Bag works awesome and I feel like it’s the perfect prs/nrl bag now.
I highly recommend Fehu Outdoor for custom work like this. Collin is easy to work with, reasonable prices, and fast turn around.

Attachments

• 9B8B1493-9A7D-4F1E-84A6-539DDEAD57AB.jpeg
    9B8B1493-9A7D-4F1E-84A6-539DDEAD57AB.jpeg
    500.6 KB · Views: 247
  • 58CDEBCB-D725-4A82-892A-5FFFE34ED7B1.jpeg
    58CDEBCB-D725-4A82-892A-5FFFE34ED7B1.jpeg
    465.4 KB · Views: 260
I’ve heard many people mention a pack for a 1 day vs 2 day match.

What is the reasoning behind that? I bring the same exact stuff with me during a 1 day as I do a two day match.

My day 2 ammo stays in the truck. My cleaning supplies in case i need to clean after day 1 stays in the truck.

What additional items are you carrying at a two day that you wouldn’t carry at a one day match?

All of the two day matches I’ve shot on the east coast are basically just two 1 day matches back to back
For me the difference lies in the gear I pack when I leave the house. I like to be able to put everything in one bag and then unload some of my extra spares, cleaning kit, day 2's ammo, etc at the hotel before the actual walking starts.

For me the difference lies in the gear I pack when I leave the house. I like to be able to put everything in one bag and then unload some of my extra spares, cleaning kit, day 2's ammo, etc at the hotel before the actual walking starts.

I guess that makes sense.

I have a black tote that all my shooting stuff stays in that I don’t physically need at the match while shooting. It pretty much lives in my truck

Has my rain clothes, small tacti-stools. Day 2 ammo, cleaning kit, etc.

I'm still looking for the perfect pack. For me, I don't want or need a scabbord, I prefer to throw the pack on then sling the rifle muzzle down for any extended walks. I don't plan on shooting any adventure/ruck types of matches, but if I did I'd look for a specialty bag for that.

I don't necessarily need the biggest pack in the world, but I want the room for 2 GC type bags and 3x 50-rd boxes of ammo. Then actually having external waterbottle pockets would be nice. I've used a 5.11 72 hr, Eberlestock Halftrack, and currently a GPS Tactical. The GPS is ok, but with no waterbottle pockets I'm stuck carrying water inside which takes up a ton of space, and end up carrying the GC on the outside where it flops around.

The UpRanger looks cool, but is heavy (like all Eberlestock packs) and doesn't have any provisions for water bottles.

My buddy has a Kifaru 22Mag and although expensive due to needing a frame, it's really nice and carries weight amazingly. It would also double as a 2-3 day backbacking pack if desired.

I've got a TAG 3 day pack that can hold 200 rounds of ammo, 3 bags, binos, a spotting scope, water, rain gear, a tripod, kestrel, earpro, note gear, batteries, etc with room to spare.

It's more a matter of how you organize things.

I just got the low drag II to try as a bag. I feel like I am going to like it for PRS. I use the bottom part of the main compartment for mini GC and that crazy heavy 16 lb fortune cookie and on the shelf above it is where i put my ammo.
I've been using the LoDrag for years but it still has issues. The primary issue is getting the gun in and out with the bipod attached. When I shot the Zermatt Nebraska match in March it was a sloppy mess. It's a pain getting the rifle in and out on a dry day. The rain made is suck more. I just think it can be done better... like a large zipper on the side of the pack.

That scabbard doesn't look like it will take a full rifle with the bipod attached. But, maybe if the stock was folded in the AR version it would? Maybe you should leave work now? 🤔

Still plenty of space considering mags will be on my hip and ear pro on my ears. Plenty of room for ammo novel. Also I have a schmedium and regular size game changer in there. Still not 100% comfortable with the schmedium as a rear bag so I carry both. Eventually I’ll only have the one.

Still plenty of space considering mags will be on my hip and ear pro on my ears. Plenty of room for ammo novel. Also I have a schmedium and regular size game changer in there. Still not 100% comfortable with the schmedium as a rear bag so I carry both. Eventually I’ll only have the one.
Dude, you're not the only one! First time I had the Shmedium I laid down and shot a 1" group at 100, I thought my load had gone to shit. Switched over to my WC OG GC as a rear bag and back to 3/8" groups. I still haven't practiced with it as a rear bag since then. But on barricades and props the Shmedium is amazing...

Dude, you're not the only one! First time I had the Shmedium I laid down and shot a 1" group at 100, I thought my load had gone to shit. Switched over to my WC OG GC as a rear bag and back to 3/8" groups. I still haven't practiced with it as a rear bag since then. But on barricades and props the Shmedium is amazing...

Idk I guess it’s the sand?

My first experience with a sanded rear bag was the wiebad mini fortune cookie. Laid down at eh farm and couldn’t hit a 10” plate at 521y. I was baffled. Literally reached over and grabbed my og GC. Center hits. Never trusted a sanded rear bag since. Plenty of guys are using them fine. I guess I just need more time and adjust my rear bag technique.

Sorry - slight thread derailment.

If anyone wants more pics or info about the up ranger pack lemme know.

It looks like it fits the bill. Is there velcro anywhere on the outside? Not sure why there would be.
Was it easy enough to get the tripod on and off? I'm just trying to get a feel for efficiency. It seems to take me longer than the average guy to get my shit packed after a stage.

It looks like it fits the bill. Is there velcro anywhere on the outside? Not sure why there would be.
Was it easy enough to get the tripod on and off? I'm just trying to get a feel for efficiency. It seems to take me longer than the average guy to get my shit packed after a stage.

I can slip the two legs of the tripod right down behind the set of pockets. There are straps that you can undo/adjust the tension on that side pack. So I adjusted to where when the tripod is mounted it’s snug. But you can still slide the tripod in and out easily. Works pretty well actually

A regular backpack + a tab gear biathlon sling will carry all your need for a match. If it doesn’t, you’re carrying too much shit.

Throw rifle on your back, backpack over that, and toss the tripod on your shoulder.
I like this idea as I am one also trying to minimize my gear and be quicker transitioning stages. Curious. What type of backpack, and how hard is it getting the backpack on and over the rifle. My smaller backpack still has my gamechanger, Bushnell spotter, ammo novel , mags and a multi tool. By chance any pics of of the rifle and backpack on together?

I plan on getting the up ranger too. while my two Eberlestock packs I have now have scabbards I have yet to use them I just like knowing they are there if I want to use them. one of my packs, its removable which is even better.

now the upranger, the scabbard isn't in the spinal location but rather the flank and I think my #22 match rifle being on the outer edge would throw the weight off so bad it will wreck my already wrecked back.

but im still getting the up granger if they would have just made and XXL scabbard on the spinal where the zipper opens up the main compartment it would have been damn near perfect.

effeciency is why Im ordering one. the organization its clutch. I find myself digging around my Phantom pack a lot to find what im looking for

Idk I guess it’s the sand?

My first experience with a sanded rear bag was the wiebad mini fortune cookie. Laid down at eh farm and couldn’t hit a 10” plate at 521y. I was baffled. Literally reached over and grabbed my og GC. Center hits. Never trusted a sanded rear bag since. Plenty of guys are using them fine. I guess I just need more time and adjust my rear bag technique.

Sorry - slight thread derailment.

If anyone wants more pics or info about the up ranger pack lemme know.
How deep is the inside of the bag? Trying to mentally pack my gear in your pics, lol! Also, does it have a water resistant bottom or is it just the normal fabric on the rest of the pack? Thank you!

How deep is the inside of the bag? Trying to mentally pack my gear in your pics, lol! Also, does it have a water resistant bottom or is it just the normal fabric on the rest of the pack? Thank you!

I didn’t have a measuring device handy in my gun room this morning to measure it before work. It’s roughly 5-6” deep.

If you have it standing up like if my first couple of pictures with the tripod attached. It is just regular pack fabric on the bottom that is touching the ground. The “hard shell” is on the backside and that’s how you’d lay it down when accessing all the compartments.

One strange thing is it didn’t come with a rain cover. It has a the small zipper pouch on the bottom where you’d expect there to be one.

I didn’t have a measuring device handy in my gun room this morning to measure it before work. It’s roughly 5-6” deep.

If you have it standing up like if my first couple of pictures with the tripod attached. It is just regular pack fabric on the bottom that is touching the ground. The “hard shell” is on the backside and that’s how you’d lay it down when accessing all the compartments.

One strange thing is it didn’t come with a rain cover. It has a the small zipper pouch on the bottom where you’d expect there to be one.
It looks like eberlestock sells 3 different size rain covers it just isn't included. Which is a bummer for a $300 pack, lol. From your pics and my questions I'm not really seeing any downsides to this pack other than weight. I'm perfectly fine using a sling for my rifle as long as I can strap up the tripod like you did to free up my hands. Thanks for the detailed info on the pack!

It looks like eberlestock sells 3 different size rain covers it just isn't included. Which is a bummer for a $300 pack, lol. From your pics and my questions I'm not really seeing any downsides to this pack other than weight. I'm perfectly fine using a sling for my rifle as long as I can strap up the tripod like you did to free up my hands. Thanks for the detailed info on the pack!

No problem. The weight doesn’t really bother me. Most of the matches I shoot im only walking a short distance from stage to stage. It’s the same weight as the phantom I used for the last couple years. Our stages are normally close enough together that I just carry my rifle over the next stage then go back for my pack and tripod. So I don’t really see the time I’ll need to strap my rifle to the pack. I’d just sling it for walks to and from the truck like you said.

I may have to order one of the rain covers. Or borrow one from one of my camp packs if the forecast is calling for rain.

Hi,

Sneak Peek, lol...

View attachment 7449252

Sincerely,
Theis

Not gonna lie, first thing I thought of when I saw this was someone took one of the Dracos/Savior/Voodoo 2-rifle backpacks and just strapped a range bag or roll-top backpack to it. Kinda like if you used a larger, sturdier version of a cargo net to connect them.

Now I'm wondering why someone hasn't already done exactly that.

It seems as though most people are looking for a hunting pack - one that stows the rifle? Back in the olden days everyone had Eberlestock gunslinger, until they realized it wasn't fun sliding the gun in and out at each stage. So then people would just sling the rifle muzzle down and then put on a regular backpack. Now the stages are so close together on most ranges that you just carry your gun by hand muzzle up or down to the next stage.

It seems as though most people are looking for a hunting pack - one that stows the rifle? Back in the olden days everyone had Eberlestock gunslinger, until they realized it wasn't fun sliding the gun in and out at each stage. So then people would just sling the rifle muzzle down and then put on a regular backpack. Now the stages are so close together on most ranges that you just carry your gun by hand muzzle up or down to the next stage.

I couldn’t imagine putting my 20lb rifle in my pack with the other stuff I have in it plus a tripod strapped to it...I’d tip over backward. Let alone the guys with 25-30lb rifles.

I didn’t weigh it, but My up ranger pack, with tripod, binos, two game changers, two days worth of ammo, mags, etc. is easily over 50lb. Granted I’ll only be carry that much from the gun room to the truck. After that I take stuff out and only carry what I need into the match. Then even less stuff is in it from stage to stage. (Mags, tripod, binos, ears, gamer plate) are all out of the pack at that point. So much easier to manage

Something that organizes my stuff and is convenient to access is what I needed. Then like you said - I just carry my rifle in my hand to the next stage. (East coast - close stages). Not like some of the mid west matches.

I'm thinking Dthomas has the right idea with the biathlon sling. I know it's a poor me statement but it always seems like I start a stage where, at the end of the day, I have to walk all the way back to to the other end of the line. When you're already tired, everything is heavy and I may or may not be a little demorilized...
If you shot the Bighorn NRL this year you know what I mean. We had to hike up a steep, sloppy/muddy, hill where having both hands was key to not falling, followed by another quarter mile through the muck. The biathlon sling and backpack seems like it would be balanced and a little more snap on and go.

That's probably enough crying about it.

Reactions: Bhobbs78
I'm thinking Dthomas has the right idea with the biathlon sling. I know it's a poor me statement but it always seems like I start a stage where, at the end of the day, I have to walk all the way back to to the other end of the line. When you're already tired, everything is heavy and I may or may not be a little demorilized...
If you shot the Bighorn NRL this year you know what I mean. We had to hike up a steep, sloppy/muddy, hill where having both hands was key to not falling, followed by another quarter mile through the muck. The biathlon sling and backpack seems like it would be balanced and a little more snap on and go.

That's probably enough crying about it.
Yeah if I frequented matches like that I’d probably re think my set up.

I use a TAD Fast Pack EDC, sling for the rifle and tripod over the shoulder. Added some MOLLE pouches here and there. If I had a more portable tripod I might try attaching it to the bag, but I'm using the RRS 22i and its not exactly small. It'd be cool if I could find a way to attach a Peak Design Capture mount to the rifle and the bag's shoulder strap to forgo the sling.. but I haven't tried yet with the one I have on my camera.

I use a Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 (not made anymore) but they have the new version called a Lowepro Pro Trekker BP 550 AW II that goes for around 400 dollars. I use mine as a range bag for carrying all kinds of stuff but it might be something worth looking into if this is the type of style you may be interested in.

lowepro_lp37270_pro_trekker_bp_550_1569282460_1505399.jpg
1569282592_IMG_1256272.jpg

Plenty more photos here with options on how to mount tripods

more pockets, or someone else to carry all the like a porter or a golf caddy you tell them what you want and they grab it for you or your very own

1603412234006.png

ForeCaddy™ Smart Cart just load it with your rifle and ammo it will still follow you around the corse via a remote control .
you could walk or run without having to risk dropping your expensive fire arm and sing the my buddie song while you both traverse the course .lol

I promise, I am working on trying to fulfill your big highlights with my new Tilpasse backpack through Fehu Outdoors. Aside from a scabbard to carry the rifle. It will do what you are asking and more. The intent was to be a day pack that you can load up with all the essentials for a 2-day match and be able to get to them quickly.
I purposely left out any option for a rifle scabbard as I feel they are a bit unsafe and have been muzzled too many times by others trying to insert their rifle into a bag/pack to move on to the next area.
It will be lighter (much lighter) than the gunslinger line and have more adaptability for small caddy pockets and load out inside the bag. It will also have the bottle pockets on the side with webbing options to strap your collapsed tripod to the side and hopefully keep your glass on top.
I am just waiting on a new machine to speed up production though I do plan to have that in the next couple weeks or so and packs available mid-late January.

I promise, I am working on trying to fulfill your big highlights with my new Tilpasse backpack through Fehu Outdoors. Aside from a scabbard to carry the rifle. It will do what you are asking and more. The intent was to be a day pack that you can load up with all the essentials for a 2-day match and be able to get to them quickly.
I purposely left out any option for a rifle scabbard as I feel they are a bit unsafe and have been muzzled too many times by others trying to insert their rifle into a bag/pack to move on to the next area.
It will be lighter (much lighter) than the gunslinger line and have more adaptability for small caddy pockets and load out inside the bag. It will also have the bottle pockets on the side with webbing options to strap your collapsed tripod to the side and hopefully keep your glass on top.
I am just waiting on a new machine to speed up production though I do plan to have that in the next couple weeks or so and packs available mid-late January.
Sounds great! Do you have any concept or prototype pictures?

Sounds great! Do you have any concept or prototype pictures?
I will have v2.0 photos in around two weeks when I get said new machine and can start cranking out some of these.

I have a Kifaru 22mag, Kifaru Xray and Mystery Ranch 3 DAP.

22mag with the frame works great for any kind of match with long walks.

X-Ray and 3DAP are for matches on square ranges and range trips.

All have small compartments for some of the smaller items while have a large open man bag.

Rain gear or something else lightweight on the bottom. Schmedium, plate and plate bag in the middle ammo on top.