• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes We no longer sell Premier Heritage riflescopes

LibertyOptics

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2004
Kalispell Montana
www.libertyoptics.com
Hiders,

Track with me on this post, and read carefully.

We've gotten inquiries as to why we don't have Premier scopes on our website anymore. Here's why.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Problem:</span></span>

As of April 29, Armament Technology Inc (ATI) suspended our Dealer Account and we were no longer able to purchase the Premier Heritage line of riflescopes. The suspension letter, signed by E.J. (Ted) Milner, Vice President of ATI and CC’d to Chris Thomas, President of Premier Reticles Ltd, reads in part:

“<span style="font-style: italic">Dear Mr. Berish,

It has been presented to us that your company has been offering Premier Reticles ‘Heritage’ Tactical riflescopes directly to consumers at pricing significantly below Minimum Advertised Price (MAP).

This behavior seriously undermines the value of the product in the eyes of the market and is particularly disruptive and damaging to the market distribution structure of Dealer and Stocking Dealer pricing.......

Please therefore be advised that your Dealer Account with Armament Technology Incorporated, sole Master Distributor for the Premier ‘Heritage’ Tactical line of products, is hereby immediately suspended.....”</span>

This came as a complete surprise, as we have been extra careful in not putting any Hide member discount pricing in writing, either via email or PM. All deals were made strictly over the telephone, presumably in full compliance with MAP policy as commonly interpreted as industry standard practice.

The pretext for this suspension was that a customer at the Premier Reticles booth at the recent NRA show unveiled a scope with an invoice from us that “shocked and embarrassed” Premier Reticles staff and another Premier Reticles dealer at the show. The offending invoice was then sent to ATI and upon obtaining it Ted Milner said everyone got “mad as f**k” there and shortly thereafter the hammer came down. This was on the same day the suspension letter was dated, April 29.

Fortunately, Ted Milner volunteered the name of the offending customer, and a little internet searching revealed the contact info for same. The gentleman is identified as the President of G.B. Stumpp & Associates, Terry L. Dean. From their website, GB Stumpp :

“<span style="font-style: italic">G.B. Stumpp & Associates, Inc. is a leading manufacturer's representative for the outdoor market, including hunting, fishing, camping and marine products.

The firm aggressively markets products for ATI, Badger, Fobus, FoodSaver, Ithaca Gun, Lyman Products, Mag-Lite, PARA, Pachmayr, Pentax and VXI.

G.B. Stumpp & Associates is a carefully chosen group of electronic and sporting goods sales professionals, united under one business philosophy and committed to the success of the products they represent.

Each member of the sales force is a self-starter, armed with the integrity, experience and knowledge of territory that helps guarantee sales success</span>.”

The address on the website matched the shipping address on our files, so we got our man. I remembered Mr. Dean, as I initially quoted him a full MAP price and he pressed the issue asking if “there was any additional discounts available for Hide members”. So we took care of him, and I specifically told him not to post that price anywhere, haha the joke’s on me.

So, I called Mr. Dean on his cell phone, and to his credit after introducing myself and explaining the problem, he stayed on the line long enough to have this conversation with me:

Me: “Terry, why would you take a scope and invoice from us and get it in the hands of Armament Technology?

TD: “Because I work for Premier”

Me: “What? What are you doing for Premier?”

TD:” Checking MAP pricing on their dealers”

Me: “So you set me up??”

TD: “Yes”

Me: “OK. Let me ask you a question...ATI claims that they obtained a copy of the invoice today “hot off the press”. When did you turn in the invoice?”

TD: “About a month ago”

Our conversation ended shortly thereafter.

Afterward, I called Chris Thomas from Premier on his cell phone five separate times and left him five messages, asking him to explain what he knew. To date, he has never responded.

In summary, we had a rep for Premier order a scope from us at Hide pricing, forward the evidence to ATI, which prompted a 90 day suspension, a nice little sting operation, if you will.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Discussion:</span></span>

There are three issues here...

First, we never violated MAP nor any other dealer agreement with ATI, and when I explained this to Ted Milner, he stated they were well aware of that, but “they aren’t obligated to provide Liberty Optics with any product, either”. Ted also agreed that what happened was a sting operation, but that didn't impede the suspension.

Second, the issue emerges that when it comes to pricing Premier products, MAP is really Minimum Selling Price, as discounts in any shape or form seem to conflict with ATI’s marketing strategy. When a recent Hide vendor attempted to do a Group Buy here with Premier scopes, we received a rather stern email, as copied here (emphasis added is mine)

<span style="font-style: italic">April 13, 2011

Dear Premier Heritage Tactical line Dealer:

You are receiving this email to inform you about a recent situation in the marketplace involving a serious breach of pricing protocol surrounding Premier Heritage Tactical riflescopes.

Specifically, a major national optics dealer engaged in a marketing endeavor they advertised as a “group buy” whereby they implied that participating individuals would be able to purchase Premier Tactical products at below Minimum Advertised Pricing. This type of practice is strictly prohibited as contravening the spirit of Minimum Advertised Pricing policy under the terms of Distributor and Dealer pricing. As such, the offending Dealer’s account with ATI has been suspended and their outstanding Purchase Orders will remain unfilled.

Please let us remind all Dealers that:

1) <span style="text-decoration: underline">Minimum Advertised Price is not a benchmark by which to offer a discounted price; it is the price the consumer should expect to pay.</span> We expect Premier Dealers to foster that concept by exhibiting a price on their advertising and marketing materials and websites, and that price should be not less than MAP. The practice of displaying statements such as “call for price” or “call for best price” is not deemed to be acceptable.

2) Any program or endeavor that offers implied discounts for those participating in a “group buy” will not be tolerated.

3) Dealers are fully responsible for updating price lists on their websites to reflect current Minimum Advertised Pricing.

The goal of this correspondence is to serve as a reminder that Premier Reticles Ltd. and Armament Technology Incorporated are very serious about the financial success of the products we distribute as well as the financial success of the Dealers we serve. <span style="text-decoration: underline">Premier products are ‘top of the market’ products that are fully capable of generating premium pricing in the market and consequently healthy profit margins for Dealers. Companies that do not see the value in this business model can expect the same consequence as that experienced by the national Dealer referenced above.</span>

Please take some time to ensure your full compliance with this policy; your continued success with Premier Heritage Tactical products is dependent upon it.

If you have any questions about the aforementioned, please contact us.

Best regards,

Andrew Webber President Armament Technology Incorporated

Chris Thomas
President
Premier Reticles Limited </span>

There you have it. As a “consumer”, expect to pay the MAP/MSP price on Premier products. I heard after our suspension an even more aggressive email was circulated by ATI warning of the consequences of discounting these scopes to you guys, and I bet finding a deal will be increasingly difficult, if not impossible.

Finally, there is the human element here. Business is business, but in the not too distant past we fully backed and aggressively marketed and sold the Premier Heritage as a viable premium alternative in the tactical scope market, in every effort to ensure the success of the product’s introduction in the marketplace, at a time when few others would. We thought we had a good relationship with Premier and had earned it through hard work and loyalty. Apparently such means nothing as we were never contacted or warned directly that we were engaging in “damaging and disruptive behavior” when it came to selling Premier scopes to Hide members. In other words, there was no desire to take corrective action, just a desire to obtain evidence that would justify eliminating us from the dealer network.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Conclusion:</span></span>

No question, this hurts economically, as we are a small dealer and this product line was a good source of income for us. However, there are bigger issues here than just money. Since our genesis, we have done everything we could to serve the tactical shooting market by providing honest advice and product evaluation, customer service and good pricing. I am passionate about tactical optics and share this passion in building relationships with you guys, one customer at a time, to meet your shooting optics needs. That is how we choose to run our business.

It appears that since Premier has built up a nice dealer chain, we are expendable. That is their choice.

However, while our suspension was involuntary, given how all this came about, it is clear to me that the character and philosophy of ATI and Premier Reticles is incompatible with our own. Therefore, our choice is to never carry the Premier line of scopes again.

I apologize for any inconvenience to you, our customers.

Sincerely,

Scott

Re: We no longer sell Premier Heritage riflescopes

Well Crap ... and I was going to purchase one for an expected rifle ... with that response from ATI ... I will never purchase a Premiere scope or ANYTHING from ATI--

I hope Hide members also "Boycott" this behavior-- There are other optics that are as good or better out there.

I hope things work out for you guys.

Reactions: RedTaylor

Sorry to hear about that Scott. It is a shame it came to that and they had to set you up to place the smack down on you. It is also a shame that they are going to play the MAP game to try to secure their prices on scopes. This site is one big information flow for shooters who spend a lot of money on their chosen hobby and profession. I am sorry that Premier decided to take this line. I don't have a Premier but this would make me think twice about every getting one. I will stick with USO and Vortex for my shooting needs.

BTW, I am back in the states in three weeks and looking forward to mounting that USO I got from you. I had my wife send me pics of it to keep me psyched up for its use.

"The gentleman is identified as the President of G.B. Stumpp & Associates, Terry L. Dean. From their website, GB Stumpp"

What a cheese eating rat!! Reminder to self......dont ever give a penny to ATI.

Scott, your way you take care of us on here, I will continue to do business with Liberty Optics. Expendable to ATI, but priceless service to the folks you take care of everyday!!

Scott,

You run a top notch business and provided nothing less than excellent customer service to me when I placed an order a few weeks ago. I have considered purchasing a Premier, but after hearing this, I don't believe they deserve my business. Keep up the good work.

Scott,

I'm suprised and sorry to hear this news. It's no secret that you were the go to Premier guy in good times and in bad.

When one door closes another one opens and I don't have to tell you that some of your other lines are really raising the bar lately. While I know this will be a financial blow in the short term I'm sure you'll come out of it ok in the end. With a lot of hard work you've built a loyal customer base and I'm sure you'll see their continued support.

Jasonk

Don't own a premier, and with this news never will.

I really hate to see something like this happen to good folks like yourself.
I do believe the Stumpp & Ass. group will be getting some nice emails and lots of calls on their cell phones at all hours seeing as they post them for the world to use as they see fit.

I would imagine a few folks here can even write programs that would make things really tough for them.............

Just saying......... glad I'm not that smart.

Wow! So much for me looking into the light tactical. If they care to screw over customers that bad I dont want anything to do with them!

Scott-

I'd recommend picking up S&B as a product line. Superior products to Premier for the same price.

Reactions: jh2785

well premier was never really on my "must have list" but this seals it. and i will gladly spread this story to whoever asks me about Premier glass in the future.

its bullshit really. Everybody discounts cheaper than map! I think you musta pissed in somebodies wheaties, Scott!

No more preimer for me, S&B or Hensdholt or NF.....

Bad move preimer, liberty optics is a stand up company!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gpz750</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't own a premier, and with this news never will. </div></div>

+1. I'll stick with my S&B and Hensoldt, thank you very much!

Wow Scott has been a totally stand up guy when I've dealt with him. For a company to do that to him? They will never get a penny of my money. We need more people like Scott in this industry, and less assholes like them. You guys really screwed yourselves, this will cost you far more then it was worth to try and prove a point.

You'd think that Premier would have learned not to screw people with the world class fucking they got from Leupold not that long ago. I had hoped that going solo would be good for them, but oh how quickly we forget when the shoe is on the other foot.

I've never done any business with ATI/Stumpp, but I certainly will make sure I don't start now.

Sorry to hear they jerked your chain Scott, one might think they would know better than to pull something of that nature with a crowd favorite like Liberty... Being outed on a site like this isn't good for business, to put yourself in such a position is foolhardy IMHO.

This kind of behavior just hurts the consumer in the long run, and I refuse to knowingly support any company that takes part in it. Sadly the black list has grown a lot in recent times, but i'm certain there is room for these two outfits to join the ranks.

PS- if you are reading this and you represent a company who advertises/markets/deals with G.B. Stumpp, I suggest you reconsider who you trust with your image. Doing business with POS like this isn't good for your image.

I just ordered a Premier from Scott while this happened. After he told me what had taken place I had Scott cancel my order with Premier, and now I have a Schmidt & Bender on the way. Thanks for your help Scott and I wish you all the best.

In business loyalty and trust are hard things to find anymore, especially when there's so many people in business crunching numbers for only the bottom line.

I think its fantastic that you we're offering a little extra value to the people that support you. By giving back a little out of your bottom line only helps develop trust and returning customers down the road which is a great business plan !

I respect you even more after reading that !
Keep your head high Scott because what you we're doing is what most successful companies do and that's taking care of customers first, unfortunately Premier's business model is built with the bottom line first, vendors second and customers savings last.

You'll have my future business with or without Premier, They lose not you
wink.gif

Premier can go eat a big bag of dick.......
Obviously there's a god complex clause in a DOD supply contract...

Premier Reticles EADYFC

JJ

I hope someone from ATI reads this... because here is another guy who will never buy any of their shit, and will exercise every opportunity I have to tell others not to buy from them either. Talk about shooting themselves in the foot! DoucheFucks....

Scott,

Sorry to hear about you falling out with your Premier vendor. The whole incident seems a bit suspect and frankly I think this whole sting operation is a piss poor way of conducting business. The Premier line of scopes looks like a quality product, but if they are going to allow themselves to be represented by G.B. Stumpp who conduct themselves this poorly then they won't be getting my business. If Stumpp and Premier had a problem with your pricing why not just pick up the phone and discuss it with you?

You have always taken really good care of me, and I'm sure that Hide members will see this whole incident for what it is and take care of you. Thanks for all the years of great service and value. I’ll be addressing a letter expressing my discontent to G.B. Stumpp and Premier. I implore other Hide members to do the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRS_Ranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope someone from ATI reads this... because here is another guy who will never buy any of their shit, and will exercise every opportunity I have to tell others not to buy from them either. Talk about shooting themselves in the foot! DoucheFucks.... </div></div>

We should create a sister thread to this one "We no longer buy Premier/ATI products".

Very shabby way to treat a dealer who stood by them when the rumors where rife that Premier was bust, cashless and about to vanish. I've always been a Premier fan boy, but no more.

Well, there goes a 3-15 off the list... 4-16 Schmidt here I come!

That is proper homo.

Remember past discussion regarding MSRP and MAP and how many Hide members actually refused to believe that these policies are nothing but an extortion and a mechanism to keep dealer structure in check and preserve intended pricing (i.e. total opposite of free market). Stuff in theory is usual benign however once applied in practice well you see the result. So to all those who defended various price enforcement techniques just a heads up today was Premier/Liberty who tomorrow?

I have had nothing but great experience with Scott, answered quite a few of my question even though he knew there is no way i can buy anything from him (Europe and export licenses) and if that doesn't tell you all about the Man and the Business (attitude when one has nothing to gain) i don't know what will.

I've always regarded companies who rig pricing as nothing but a bunch of shitbags. This is a free market economy. If they don't like it, I'd recommend moving to China or North Korea. Once a product leaves a distributor it is no longer theirs. I don't give two shits about any agreements. Once a product is purchased it becomes the property of the purchaser and is covered under the fourth amendment where that purchaser has a right to be secure in their property and that includes how they dispense that product.

Premier reticles can kiss my ass and go die in a fucking fire. Love my Vortex Razor HD.

Reactions: CaseFinder

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: css</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. . . Stumpp & Ass. . . </div></div>

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.jpg

As for Premier, that's too bad. I've never owned one, but they appear to have a good product. Sadly, I'll never quite know for sure after this.
whistle.gif

Yeap ,

A real shitty way to operate , maybe since they got the USMC contact , they thinnk they are GOLDEN .

They have forgotten , the guys that supported them from the start .

They have now actually fully shown their True colours .

I have 2 Premier scopes , and soon they will be sold & the money invested in S&B PMIIs , Opps .

See this as a positive , pick up a S&B dealership .

Later Chris

Meh, no loss... PR's are shit scopes anyways...

Glad I saw this thread, I was looking at them for my next scope, guess it just made it a whole lot easier to go with a US Optic or S&B. As much as I like to support US Companies lame ass moves like this just make it so I hope they failboat.

Sounds like you're better off without assholes like that in your product portfolio.

S&B, Zeiss/Hensoldt, USO, NF.....plenty of other great products to wotk with!

Scott,...You are not alone in your dismay at the way you have been treated. "Recommended Retail Pricing" etc, long since became illegal outside of the US and what Premier have forced or attempted to coerce dealers into signing is simply price fixing.

It stinks.

Everything has a market value and that is what the consumer is willing to pay. Price it out of the market and people look to another product.

When reputable and established dealers like yourself get setup like this, customers will take note and I believe support their dealer over a manufacturer that has questionable business ethics?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gpz750</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't own a premier, and with this news never will. </div></div> + 1 on That, Good Luck,Scott and Thanks

That realy sux Scott, i had purchased a 5-25 PR and reccomended one to a friend that purchased one from you and you told him there was no way you could discount the price because of the canadian distributor networks, I dont see there problem they still get the dealers money if a dealer wants to sell something they now own at a loss that is there problem not Premier's.

there optics are great but their attitude is just total crap.

Sorry for the loss to your company Scott you are truly a stand up guy.

I think bad customer/vendor relations would hurt company reputation more than below MAP prices. Especially in their main target demographic of consumers. That would be the Snipers Hide and competition shooters. They are shooting their selves in the foot for being douche bags about it.

Someone needs to pull the stick out!

Wow, that is absolutely ridiculous. A business that decides to have an attitude like that and treat people like shit doesn't deserve people's hard earned money. I know they won't be getting any of mine, that is for damn sure.

That was a rew deal. You may have violated the MAP policy put in place by the MFG and in their eyes thats not cool, but how they handled the situation was down right childish. What ever happened to treating people with respect especially the people who worked so hard at getting your product where it is now. This just goes to show you the true carracter of these two companys. I have not ever realy wanted a Premier but after reading this I know I never will.

Good luck in the future Scott.

That sucks for sure. Thanks for the heads up and for your continued dedication to taking care of Hide members.

Thank you for the eye opener Scott.

This says a lot about about Premier... and it also says a lot about Liberty Optics.

I will continue to support Liberty Optics and will now add Premier to the shit list.

Way to make a stand up decision for what is right, even when it makes things harder.

Do other optic mfgs. have similar policies? If a dealer chooses to lose a profit margin, you would think that should be up to the dealer.

It sounds like a price war in reverse. Are they over priced to start with? Do they need to inflate these prices to gouge the U.S. on Government contracts? Are consumers so stupid that we assume a higher price assures a better product. That sounds like what their policy is based on.

It will take more than one dealer to boycott them. It will take many shooters to boycott them before there is a real impact. Unless the U.S. is giving these scopes to non US Forces, there are not enough Marine Sniper Rifles to keep a company in business.

However, it is one hell of an endorsement. As long as these scopes are donned on a Marine Sniper rifle or that of any elite unit, there are wanabee(s) that will buy them at any price.

Unfortunately there are many consumers that will never hear of this incident.

Scott...

You have always had my loyal support as a customer and that will continue regardless of the recent string of bull$#!T with Premier Reticles and their "secret shopper" @$$HOLE!!! It is a shame that companies resort to these sorts of tactics when it comes to price-fixing and dealing with their network of dealers. I hope that Premier feels the backlash from this $#!T. This seals the deal for me...I'll stick to a number of other quality manufacturers and ignore Premier like a red-headed step-child. They are officially on my $#!Tlist along with other lying, manipulative, thieving companies like Botach!!

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="color: #FF9900">F@#K PREMIER AND THE HORSE THEY RODE IN ON!!</span></span>

Okay...Rant OFF.

Take care and God Bless, Scott!!

Scott, you single handedly did more for their marketing then anyone else. Premier should thank you for getting those scopes out there at an affordable price. "Underminning their value" is a joke! Perhaps "underminning over inflated values" is more like it! Lets see how their prices works out for them now!

There goes the Light Tactical I had planned to purchase. With competition in the tactical scope market heating up, there will always be other great alternatives, and I for one will choose the alternative.

I deal with MAP pricing in the IT field every day, and I can tell you with certainty that you did not break any MAP pricing rules... At least not as far as I have ever encountered. MAP pricing applies to a <span style="font-weight: bold">M</span>inimum <span style="font-weight: bold">A</span>dvertised <span style="font-weight: bold">P</span>rice, and should never apply to an individually negotiated deal. As long as a deal is privately conducted, and the price is not more generally known, then no breach of contract can occur.

I'm sorry to hear that Scott. What a raw deal.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Question</span>; what other scope brands does ATI distribute? I'd like to understand just how far their tentacles are currently reaching into our hobby.

Also, you are describing ATI as <span style="font-style: italic">Armament Tactical Incorporated</span>, yet GB Stump's website's refers to ATI as <span style="font-style: italic">American Tactical Imports</span>. So which is it?

I can understand a manufacturer wanting to maintain a pricing point, their execution of enforcement was very unprofessional.

glad your getting the support you and your company deserve,we appreciate your candor and putting this out here, for us, to have when we make our choices,Support those people who support us. ati can sell their stuff else where,what a great policy,they won't be seeing any business here. Liberty and justice for all.new thread title (corporate american crap)

I wonder how they could possible not realize how bad this makes them look. I have never seen a PR scope, and now never need to.

My first Mildot scope was a GenII/Loopy. I spoke with Dick and was treated like a wholesaler instead of a one off guy. I cant say enough good things about that man.

Premier seemed to change in its attitude when Chris took over. I know many blame leupold for the split but I have my doubts.

As Premier started to go its on way it had the typical teething troubles and it took a strong person to remain loyal to the product. The prices were sure top tier, though not everyone thought the scope was the equal to the other similarly priced scopes. Once it settled in and got that DoD contract Katy bar the door.

There are quite a few high end scopes to pick from, many have DoD contracts. Premier must feel special in some way.

Course Premier isnt the only scope bunch who are harsh with dealerships. I seem to recall NightForce is VERY insistant on holding a high retail price and a pox on any retailer who dares to use discounts.

I have noticed the so-called freemarket is more a credo for businesses who want a free hand to do business anyway they want, not so much about letting consumers determine the market price.

But I could be jaded.

Yet ANOTHER reason why I'd never put a Premier scope on any of my rifles. Overpriced pieces of shit that are about as reliable as the weather. It seems like they wrote the book on bad business practices if you've paid attention over the last year or two as well. My prediction though is give it a month or so and all the fan boys here will be back sucking Premier dick bragging about how awesome they are.