• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes We no longer sell Premier Heritage riflescopes

Re: We no longer sell Premier Heritage riflescopes

This cannot be the first time this matter has been disputed, indeed litigated and even appealed and thus reported and published so we could see what the courts have said what the law is on the issue. And if not, what, if anything, does the contract provide on this topic between the retailer and the vendor?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy freakin torch and pichfork!
Ding ding...the bandwagon is leaving, better jump on before its gone.

I have nothing but the highest respect for Scott and LO, i have and will continue to send people his way. But, he got busted, plain and simple. He used to post prices in PMs, why did he stop? Because he knew if they were seen, he would get busted. I dont agree with how this went down, pretty slimey, but Scot knew if ATI caught him, he would be busted...that's what happened.

People can bitch about MAP policies all they want, but they are what they are. I happen to remember a bunch of people going on a crusade against Night force for these very same policies...yet, I think theyare doing OK. Try to get a deal on a new NF...ya can't, they are the same price everywhere.

I am sad that Scott told them to kiss his ass, but respect him right to do so. premiers have features that you can't get on any other scope, that means that to someone looking for all those features, they are the only option. I wish LO was still the best place to get them, but, it is what it is.

The owner of premier may be a dick, I don't know and I don't care, I will never have to interact with him. He is smart enough to hire a kick ass customer relations rep...Paul...and I have personally never experienced anything less than exemplary service from them. The product and the service are what really matters and Premier delivers on both counts.

Scott, sorry you got busted, brother. Legal options may be on the table...don't know. If all these internet lawyers are right, there are options, but consult with an actual attourney and make that call. Best of luck to you, I will continue to be one of your customers.

OK, time to move on to the next dog pile...who is it this time...USO again?
For what its worth I will defend them to.

And...sorry if my statements offend anyone, but I still don't give a shit.

</div></div>

+1 Well put.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheOneTwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Of course that theory still makes sense in a global world. It has nothing to do with brick and mortar. Again that was just an excuse that premier is using. The fact is that because Scott was giving such good deals to everyone that no one buys premier at any other dealers. That is bad for Premier, they cannot and obviously will not allow one dealer to control most of or eventually their entire market share. That would be ludicrous for any business to do that. They have to protect themselves. It is called diversifying. They cannot rely upon one dealer to do all that for them. What happens if something happened to Scott or his business. They would be screwed.

Again, Premier and ATI are in this business to make money. Talk about touchy feely crap, what was all that that you just went on about that they should just be in business to do something nice for us consumers. They are in business to make money. They may or may not make a great product, but the fact remains it is to make money. If they cannot make money they cannot make scopes. If one dealer undermines there whole business and affects their distribution then they are going to do something about it

I completely agree with you about the consumer being the ultimate decider, that is how a free market is suppose to work. And if that is the choice that everyone makes, that is okay. It would suck for PR and ATI, but that again is just part of doing business.

The real bad thing for Scott is now many other manufactures are going to see what he might do if they start to have problems, he will air all the dirty laundry to the world. Eventually they will just say they will not do business with him at all. Then he will not have his own business. He might have made himself a martyr and looks great to all us consumers, but to the manufactures, he is now on all their radars and they will think twice about their relationship with him. Scott is going to eventually have to change his business model. Which is not a bad thing, it just happens with growth. He is growing fast and many times business grow themselves right out of business. He just can't burn all his relationships like this every time he gets upset.

This is going to be much ugly for everyone including Scott, before this is over.

He got in trouble with Vortex over this same thing, that time he chose to air it as well. He needs to keep his business dealings inside with those he does business with, or he may not have anyone to do business with. </div></div>

Do we really know that Scott was the only one selling PR scopes? I have a real hard time believing this.

You are right it would be bad for Premier if they let Scott do all the selling and then something happened to Scott. I get that point but my argument is that it is MAP (or the even worse policy of MSP (minimum sales price)that causes this potential crisis for Premier not Scott selling PR scopes for a lower price. If there wasn't that policy in place then retailers are free to set the price based on what they think they can sell them for and if needed they can cut the price to compete. It is a win-win all around. Free markets are an amazing thing!

Again, I have zero problems with them making money, the more the better IMO. but i do have a problem with them making money by artificially inflating their price and then requiring retailers to sell it for only that price. That IS NOT free market in any way, shape, or form. It's not about doing something nice for the consumer it is about doing the right thing by the consumer. "Build it they will come", a great line from a great movie sums this up. If you build a good enough product people will buy it and pay the premium for it because it is the best and it is worth it not because the manf requires it.

The reality is that we consumers could change this whole issue in short order if we cared enough to sacrifice for a while. There are plenty of used scopes on the market to go around. No new scope purchases by the masses for a few months would change everyone's way of thinking on this. Like I mentioned earlier, very few would be willing to give up the time and money to get the word out and likely wouldn't be willing to go without in order to make things better. The people can still change things we just have to be willing to sacrifice for it and many of us aren't willing.

My opinion Brother!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gen2mildot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dear Hiders,
My apologies for not responding sooner. Some folks in the industry actually take a break from their day job and try to enjoy the weekend with their families (and Moms). Nevertheless, it is Monday. So back to work.

First, I realize that there won't be much Premier can say here, if anything, now to dissuade peoples' decisions to NOT buy Premier-manufactured , ATI-distributed or GB Stumpp-represented products. I can see how, based on the facts presented by Scott Berish of Liberty Optics, a person would view Premier-ATI-Stumpp as evil and greedy.

Second, it seems that Scott's reputation is beyond reproach. There are always two sides to every story. In this case, one side being the customer-vendor perspective and the other, the legal and economic considerations of a manufacturer-vendor engagement.

I hope my response here meets with the approval of Snipershide and its moderators. We are not currently a vendor or paid advertiser, but we have supported Snipershide since its inception through past advertising and product donation. Though lengthy, this response is necessary to inform the public of the facts surrounding the suspension of Liberty Optics' dealer account.

To begin with, I think it's important to identify the structure of Premier and its affiliates.

Definitions:

1. Premier Reticles, Ltd is a manufacturer of high quality, high performance riflescopes. A 3rd generation, family owned and operated American company, which employs Americans. Chris Thomas is President.

2. Optronika GmbH , located in Biebertal, Germany, is an independent company founded by Chris Thomas in 2007 which employs an opto-mechanical engineering staff, formerly of Schmidt & Bender. All designs for Premier products originate here as well as the sourcing of critical high-precision components used to assemble riflescopes in Winchester, VA. Chris Thomas is President.

3. Armament Technology Incorporated (ATI), a Canadian company located in Halifax, Nova Scotia is an independent company contracted to serve as Master Distributor for North America for Premier Tactical riflescopes. ATI acts as an inventory holding company for which Premier Tactical products are distributed throughout a dealer network. Andrew Webber is President.

4. GB Stumpp and Associates, Inc. is an independent factory representation group engaged by Premier Reticles to solicit and establish storefront retailer (dealer) accounts in the Northeast US territory, for the purposes of stocking and selling Premier products. Terry Dean is President.

In January 2011, GB Stumpp was contracted to establish dealer accounts in the NE US. These factory reps, at their own expense travel state by state, dealer by dealer, informing and educating retailers about the quality and reputation of Premier riflescopes. One of the first questions after "what is my price?" is "do you enforce MAP?". Brick-and-Mortar dealers live by a separate sets of costs vs. certain internet retailers. The must make enough margin in order to: 1) buy and stock the product (customers need to fondle the product), 2) pay employees and 3), pay their overhead costs-just to name a few. Of course, in this day and age the biggest threat to store-front retailers is the internet. Though some consumers choose to purchase products online, the fact remains that store-front retail sales account for the vast majority of riflescope sales-though not yet for Premier, but if internet retailers are not kept in check, your local gun shop with its higher costs of operations WILL go out of business.

In the 3+ months of discussions with potential Premier dealers, the name Liberty Optics came up several times. Terry Dean took it upon himself to not just call Scott for pricing, but also to consummate a purchase. Per the following conversations with Terry, he assured me of his lack of knowledge of Snipershide and that he did NOT mention being a "Hider" in order to get a "good price". On 19-April-2011, Terry simply called and asked for a price for a Premier Heritage 5-25x56mm Tactical and was NOT quoted MAP, but was offered a price substantially lower than MAP. In fact $100s of dollars less. He placed his order immediately and got the scope two days later. Note: This was less than a week after the "stern email" dated 13-April-2011, sent to all Premier dealers admonishing them to avoid such practices. Premier nor ATI had any knowledge of Terry's intentions or actions.

On Friday 29 April 2011, opening day of the NRA Show in Pittsburgh, Terry presented to me his new 5-25x and the Sales Receipt, dated 19-April-2011, from Liberty Optics. Upon receipt of an email copy of this Sales Receipt, ATI contacted Scott via telephone and got the response that the "Terry Dean purchase discount was for a credit against previous purchases...". ATI advises that they have a copy of the bill of sale and there is no credit referenced on it. When pressed to substantiate this credit, Liberty states they need to call back. Upon a call-back, Liberty advises there was no credit, it was sold at the discounted price.

Up until this point, Premier and ATI did not take any action against Liberty Optics as there was no tangible proof that such pricing was happening. After countless discussions, verbal and written agreements, Scott Berish continued to sell scopes at highly discounted prices. Combined with his inability to honor his commitments and agreements, and the reluctance of new dealers taking on the Premier lines of products, Premier and ATI felt it necessary to finally take action. It should realized that the terms of Scott’s dealership status were same terms as all Premier dealers conduct their business under. Premier and/or ATI reserve the right to suspend, and if need be, terminate, dealer status if any of the provisions are violated. This doesn't have as much to do with MAP as it does a legal contract where the undersigned acknowledges the provisions associated with such violations.

Since Scott has been nice enough to share <span style="font-style: italic">excerpts</span> from intercompany documents between ATI and Liberty Optics, and the interdealer communique' , I don't think it's necessary to outline their contents. However, I want to remind the reader that we did NOT terminate the LO's dealer account, we simply "suspended" it. Here I will quote the Suspension Letter verbatim. <span style="color: #FF6666">Red text</span> indicates what was left out of Scott's opening remarks in this thread:

<span style="font-style: italic">"<span style="color: #FF6666">April 29, 2011

Liberty Optics LLC
Attn: Scott Berish
PO Box 2554
900 Riverside Rd
Kalispell MT 59901
U.S.A.</span>

Dear Mr. Berish,

It has been presented to us that your company has been offering Premier Reticles 'Heritage' Tactical riflescopes directly to consumers at pricing significantly below Minimum Advertised Price (MAP).
This behavior seriously undermines the value of the product in the eyes of the market and is particularly disruptive and damaging to the market distribution structure of Dealer and Stocking Dealer pricing.<span style="color: #FF6666">As such, it contravenes article 11 of our published Terms as detailed in our 'Distributor Pricing' schedule.</span>
Please therefore be advised that your Dealer Account with Armament Technology Incorporated, sole Master Distributor for the Premier 'Heritage' Tactical line of products, is hereby immediately suspended. <span style="color: #FF6666"> Your current Purchase Orders #5 (dated 21-April-2011) and #6 (dated 26-April-2011) will not be satisfied until such time that payment for both orders plus Liberty's outstanding account balance is received by Armament Technology Incorporated.

At that time, we will arrange shipment of the orders either collect or to your UPS account.
Assuming your outstanding balances are paid within terms, we are willing to review the status of your account in 90 days time.

Regards,

E. J. (Ted) Milner.
Vice President
</span>"</span>
In our opinion, we have given Liberty Optics several chances in the past couple years to adjust his business practices where Premier products are concerned. Premier nor ATI, intended this to embarrass Scott in any way. Scott chose to air these internal communications publicly.

Furthermore, in order for Premier Reticles to stay in business and continue to offer warranty service, we must sell millions of dollars worth of riflescopes. The actions of Liberty Optics or any such offending account, and their refusal to abide by legally binding agreements has forced us to the decision to "suspend" their dealer status. Therefore, to protect the investments of both existing and new dealers, who have signed the same agreements, we must weed out dealers who refuse to play by the rules.

In closing and due to the amount of expletives used in conjunction with Premier, its products, ATI and GB Stumpp et al, here on SnipersHide, we will not offer any further responses or posts concerning this matter.

Should anyone have additional questions or comments, please email me directly at: [email protected]. I will do my best to respond to <span style="font-style: italic">respectful</span> requests in a timely and professional manner.

Emails to ATI can be sent to: [email protected]

Sincerely,

Chris Thomas, President
Premier Reticles
</div></div>

I have nothing in this fight, but it just seems to me that some of the comments in this response are condescending. Call me crazy, but the language used in the second sentence of the opening paragraph just puts me off as well as a few other comments throughout the response. For example, we need to make millions of dollars or we just can't deliver on customer service. You can draw your own conclusion.

The comments about the internet hurting the brick and mortar business is nonsence. I own a brick and mortar business and deliver goods where I have to compete with the internet. I compete by delivering better service and follow with personal attention. Our products have MAP on them, but I can sale below that price if I so choose so long as I don't advertise. My competitors can do the same. Surprisingly we all make a living. And does the manufacturer care? No, they made their money / sales so it is not hurting their business.

I have been observant of many things over the last few years regarding Premier and think the tone of this letter is just added emphasis that for me, the final nail has been put in the proverbial coffin for Premier where I stand.

I have no dog in this fight other than I have done business with Liberty optics including buying one of the first PR scopes released. I traded it off for a USO due to problems with it and my corrective lenses.

I have purchased about 7 optics from Scott so far and that includes the first Gen IOR Hide version. The man has gone to bat for us time and time again.

After reading way to much of this thread it is simple. We will all decide how and what we believe and what we will do going forwards.

Simply put for me I will continue to buy from Liberty optics and just buy Vortex or IOR or buy USO directly but no more PR for me and I cannot recommend them to anyone going forward. Call it a boycott or just my taking my dollars else where, it is what it is, my hard earned money, and will be spent on what I want to buy and "WHAT I WANT TO PAY". Be that looking for a deal or waiting and getting one used...its my money and I vote to keep companies in business with my purchases and vote to let the others go out of business (free market system) by how I spend my money or they can always get the Govt cheese.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gen2mildot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dear Hiders,

In closing and due to the amount of expletives used in conjunction with Premier, its products, ATI and GB Stumpp et al, here on SnipersHide, we will not offer any further responses or posts concerning this matter.

Should anyone have additional questions or comments, please email me directly at: [email protected]. I will do my best to respond to <span style="font-style: italic">respectful</span> requests in a timely and professional manner.

Sincerely,

Chris Thomas, President
Premier Reticles
</div></div> I think he just said you guys are a bunch of foul mouthed unprofessional assholes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ut755ln</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gen2mildot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dear Hiders,

Sincerely,

Chris Thomas, President
Premier Reticles
</div></div> I think he just said you guys are a bunch of foul mouthed unprofessional assholes. </div></div>

Who you calling "a bunch"?
grin.gif

On another note, retail is for suckers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So MAP pricing is really a method of ensuring the brick and mortar vendors can stay in business when competing against the lower overhead of the internet guys? </div></div>
Short answer,
MAP pricing is a policy to keep a product profitable for Value Added Resellers.
If one guy only marks up the product say $20 per piece than he would get the lion share of the market and there would be no reason for other resellers to carry the product.
When MAP agreement is in place, more resellers can carry the products and thus make them more available and distributes the burden of customer service accross its network.

Manufactures are great at making things and shipping boxes full of stuff to folks.
They are not great at communicating with customers and holding their hand through a purchase. </div></div>

That makes sense, but what it's really doing is setting up a price control so that vendors are on the same footing so you in-theory, should have the same market share regardless of your overhead. Seems to me though that if your overhead is too high and threatens your status as a vendor your business model is what's actually faulty, kind of like an evolutionary approach to business i.e. adapt or become extinct. MAP pricing seems to be a disservice to the consumer who should be able to take their business to the best practiced (better business model thus lower priced) vendor. </div></div>

This +1
Internet vendors need to sell their stuff at lower prices due to having less exposure. If you think about it, most of the time when people buy things online, they are researched deliberate buys and not impulse buys. Gander Mountain or Cabela's can sell just as many scopes at a higher price because people will walk in, see one and want it. Also as mentioned before, actually holding it in your hand and talking to a salesperson helps push the sale.

In addition consider that there are many people out there who are hesitant to buy high dollar items online due to worries about shipping, credit card fraud, and not knowing if an online retailer is legit.

The whole sob story about Liberty putting mom and pop stores out of business sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me.

Has anyone thought that the reason L.O. puts a low price on the PR scope is because it's true worth is no where near Schmidt or a Hensoldt. Just putting it out there take it for what's it worth.
smile.gif
I have a PR scope love it, love it so much I've broken it twice but my S&Bs to date touch wood are still good to go. Seriously why would buy a PR that's in the same price range as a S&B?

Hmmm, this thread has certainly taken an interesting turn...

ATI and Premier, thank you for responding to the thread. It allows everyone to see the whole story and make an informed decision.

There's a difference between price fixing and minimum resale price. You made me actually do some research into it and learn a little. I've half lived in a bubble for the last 4+ years overseas and I wasn't up on the changes, but there was a good overview article on it here:
http://gbr.pepperdine.edu/2010/08/price-...ferent-animals/

If LO violated your actual agreement, then fine and you acted within your business standards and the law. But don't call it Minimum Advertised Price when it is in fact Minimum Resale Price Management. None of the parties will state what "Item 11" is on the agreement, so we're still in the dark on that and have to draw our own conclusions. My guess is it is a MRPM clause. If that's the business standards of ATI and Premier, then so be it but I'd appreciate them saying it.

I don't care either way who is culpable in this case. Sounds kind of like something dirty went on with both sides, but it's hard to tell what the real truth is. I don't personally know anyone involved so I can't use that as a deciding factor.

I'm staying away from both here unless something else manifests. EuroOptics and SWFA can get my business as they're also stand-up vendors here on the Hide. There's entirely too many good brands and dealers available who have also "done me right" out there to bother with either of these.

I'm out of this drama.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think he just said you guys are a bunch of foul mouthed unprofessional assholes</div></div>

Well, he got that part mostly right.
laugh.gif

I'll never spend $3000 for a rifle scope unless I receive a head injury of some kind. So I don't care. Just wondered what all the fuss was about.

Man drama ... gotta love it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheOneTwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't doubt that at all. But if 1 dealer controls the Premier market by selling so cheap that no other dealers can compete that hurts Premier.

They are in business to make money, they cannot grow if one dealer controls them all. Especially with ATI in the middle of this. They took on the contract to distribute and sign up new accounts. If no one will sign up because they cannot afford to sell the Premier line for such a low markup, what other choice does ATI have. </div></div>

If one distributor controls the market because his price is lower, than Premier might want to revamp the distributor base. What the heck are the rest of the guys doing, obviously not marketing the prodcut very well..I say get off your margins and procure a freaking sale, or your competition will!

I do understand the 110% price refund amount but the issue is they say they will sell you any optic cheeper than any other person will. Now that smacks straight onto this i have nothing against them at all i think if they are willing to help shooters get the product at a price they can afford i also know that the banner has been here for a long time it was just that when i logged in today it was the first thing i saw while this issue has been going and i know it was just a computer timing that made it come up nothing else.

Just saying they have a space for discount vouchers but i am unsure if that is valid for premier scopes because i have not used it but if they say they will beet any other price does that mean that everyone must be selling only at MAP so no one can undercut them or will they beet that you could read it any way you like.

As Premier has said you cant sell under MAP and seemed realy upset that Scott sold a scope and lost a few hundred dollars profit.

Now i have a friend that i reccomended to buy a Premier from scott he called and emailed Scott and he stated quite clearly that he could not sell under MAP to him because of a Canadian distributer so Scott sold it to him at full price but my friend was extremly happy with the service from Scott and Liberty Optics.

Scott:

From the time I started dealing with you back in 2004 I have always trusted your word, and knew you were giving me the best possible price. You have my support in your business brother. I had thought about a premier scope to upgrade my .308, but now I want nothing to do with the product or company that distributes them. I will be IM'ing you soon.

Would serve premier right if they went tits up again. This Chris Thomas seems like a real piece of shit, much less the asshole that set you up. Keep doin what your doin Scott, screw them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mohonri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People like Scott mainly because most on the Hide knows he gives you the best deal.

Premier was nice enough to ONLY suspend his account.

Scott feared loss of business having to explain to customers why he is unable to fill their orders for Premier scopes and unable to give them the best discounts anymore. So he made Premier and ATI look bad.

ATI caught him "undercover" (which should be expected for enforcing MAP pricing) and Scott lied trying to defend his income/reputation of his business.

As a customer of course we like Scott. As a business with MAP pricing enforced I would see the issue. Premier's reaction is lenient and expected.

Premier in their response seems the most professional and reasonable.

Scott, well played, but for someone with such a esteemed reputation on the Hide I would have figured you would have taken the high road instead of going after Premier and ATI like this. Though it seems like the loss of income on Premier Scopes may be offset by the new customers who hate paying MAP/retail pricing and businesses enforcing of it by this hate thread. I think this was a poor choice for your reputation and character. <span style="font-weight: bold">Sounds like Scott's reputation is based on price rather than his character.</span>

Point is it is not right for Scott to end up being the sole source for Premier Optics because people know he is the cheapest. He is cheating his competition to grow his business. Premier needs to keep things even and fair between retailers so they have a larger exposure to the market.

Sounds like Scott has ruined his business with one manufacturer and likely others. Despite how much people want to support him it does nothing if he can't stock product because manufacturers are not happy with his pricing. <span style="font-weight: bold">You cheat Scott by not paying MAP, Scott cheats the his competition by charging less than MAP.</span> <span style="text-decoration: underline">If you really supported Scott you would pay full price. If Scott really deserves the reputation claimed here he would not cheat his competition with pricing, but win with service!</span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">I will not do business with Scott at Liberty Optics.</span></span>

I would consider a Premier optic if I ever found the need and was in the budget for one just like any other scope in that category.

If Premier needs to lower their MAP, they will! </div></div>

Yh but the problem is that LO advertises nothing lower than MAP. MAP is Minimum ADVERTISING Price not selling price. If he wishes to give a discount to people that are Hide members that is his perogative. He still has not broken any rules as long as his not <span style="text-decoration: underline">advertising</span> anything lower than MAP.

My apologies for not responding sooner. Some folks in the industry actually take a break from their day job and try to enjoy the weekend with their families (and Moms). Nevertheless, it is Monday. So back to work.

First, I realize that there won't be much Premier can say here, if anything, now to dissuade peoples' decisions to NOT buy Premier-manufactured , ATI-distributed or GB Stumpp-represented products. I can see how, based on the facts presented by Scott Berish of Liberty Optics, a person would view Premier-ATI-Stumpp as evil and greedy.

Second, it seems that Scott's reputation is beyond reproach. There are always two sides to every story. In this case, one side being the customer-vendor perspective and the other, the legal and economic considerations of a manufacturer-vendor engagement.

I hope my response here meets with the approval of Snipershide and its moderators. We are not currently a vendor or paid advertiser, but we have supported Snipershide since its inception through past advertising and product donation. Though lengthy, this response is necessary to inform the public of the facts surrounding the suspension of Liberty Optics' dealer account.

To begin with, I think it's important to identify the structure of Premier and its affiliates.

Definitions:

1. Premier Reticles, Ltd is a manufacturer of high quality, high performance riflescopes. A 3rd generation, family owned and operated American company, which employs Americans. Chris Thomas is President.

2. Optronika GmbH , located in Biebertal, Germany, is an independent company founded by Chris Thomas in 2007 which employs an opto-mechanical engineering staff, formerly of Schmidt & Bender. All designs for Premier products originate here as well as the sourcing of critical high-precision components used to assemble riflescopes in Winchester, VA. Chris Thomas is President.

3. Armament Technology Incorporated (ATI), a Canadian company located in Halifax, Nova Scotia is an independent company contracted to serve as Master Distributor for North America for Premier Tactical riflescopes. ATI acts as an inventory holding company for which Premier Tactical products are distributed throughout a dealer network. Andrew Webber is President.

4. GB Stumpp and Associates, Inc. is an independent factory representation group engaged by Premier Reticles to solicit and establish storefront retailer (dealer) accounts in the Northeast US territory, for the purposes of stocking and selling Premier products. Terry Dean is President.

<span style="font-weight: bold">In January 2011, GB Stumpp was contracted to establish dealer accounts in the NE US. These factory reps, at their own expense travel state by state, dealer by dealer, informing and educating retailers about the quality and reputation of Premier riflescopes. One of the first questions after "what is my price?" is "do you enforce MAP?". Brick-and-Mortar dealers live by a separate sets of costs vs. certain internet retailers. The must make enough margin in order to: 1) buy and stock the product (customers need to fondle the product), 2) pay employees and 3), pay their overhead costs-just to name a few. Of course, in this day and age the biggest threat to store-front retailers is the internet. Though some consumers choose to purchase products online, the fact remains that store-front retail sales account for the vast majority of riflescope sales-though not yet for Premier, but if internet retailers are not kept in check, your local gun shop with its higher costs of operations WILL go out of business. </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">In the 3+ months of discussions with potential Premier dealers, the name Liberty Optics came up several times. Terry Dean took it upon himself to not just call Scott for pricing, but also to consummate a purchase. Per the following conversations with Terry, he assured me of his lack of knowledge of Snipershide and that he did NOT mention being a "Hider" in order to get a "good price". On 19-April-2011, Terry simply called and asked for a price for a Premier Heritage 5-25x56mm Tactical and was NOT quoted MAP, but was offered a price substantially lower than MAP. In fact $100s of dollars less. He placed his order immediately and got the scope two days later. Note: This was less than a week after the "stern email" dated 13-April-2011, sent to all Premier dealers admonishing them to avoid such practices. Premier nor ATI had any knowledge of Terry's intentions or actions.</span>

On Friday 29 April 2011, opening day of the NRA Show in Pittsburgh, Terry presented to me his new 5-25x and the Sales Receipt, dated 19-April-2011, from Liberty Optics. Upon receipt of an email copy of this Sales Receipt, ATI contacted Scott via telephone and got the response that the "Terry Dean purchase discount was for a credit against previous purchases...". ATI advises that they have a copy of the bill of sale and there is no credit referenced on it. When pressed to substantiate this credit, Liberty states they need to call back. Upon a call-back, Liberty advises there was no credit, it was sold at the discounted price.

Up until this point, Premier and ATI did not take any action against Liberty Optics as there was no tangible proof that such pricing was happening. After countless discussions, verbal and written agreements, Scott Berish continued to sell scopes at highly discounted prices. Combined with his inability to honor his commitments and agreements, and the reluctance of new dealers taking on the Premier lines of products, Premier and ATI felt it necessary to finally take action. It should realized that the terms of Scott’s dealership status were same terms as all Premier dealers conduct their business under. Premier and/or ATI reserve the right to suspend, and if need be, terminate, dealer status if any of the provisions are violated. This doesn't have as much to do with MAP as it does a legal contract where the undersigned acknowledges the provisions associated with such violations.

Since Scott has been nice enough to share <span style="font-style: italic">excerpts</span> from intercompany documents between ATI and Liberty Optics, and the interdealer communique' , I don't think it's necessary to outline their contents. However, I want to remind the reader that we did NOT terminate the LO's dealer account, we simply "suspended" it. Here I will quote the Suspension Letter verbatim. <span style="color: #FF6666">Red text</span> indicates what was left out of Scott's opening remarks in this thread:

<span style="font-style: italic">"<span style="color: #FF6666">April 29, 2011

Liberty Optics LLC
Attn: Scott Berish
PO Box 2554
900 Riverside Rd
Kalispell MT 59901
U.S.A.</span>

Dear Mr. Berish,

It has been presented to us that your company has been offering Premier Reticles 'Heritage' Tactical riflescopes directly to consumers at pricing significantly below Minimum Advertised Price (MAP).
This behavior seriously undermines the value of the product in the eyes of the market and is particularly disruptive and damaging to the market distribution structure of Dealer and Stocking Dealer pricing.<span style="color: #FF6666">As such, it contravenes article 11 of our published Terms as detailed in our 'Distributor Pricing' schedule.</span>
Please therefore be advised that your Dealer Account with Armament Technology Incorporated, sole Master Distributor for the Premier 'Heritage' Tactical line of products, is hereby immediately suspended. <span style="color: #FF6666"> Your current Purchase Orders #5 (dated 21-April-2011) and #6 (dated 26-April-2011) will not be satisfied until such time that payment for both orders plus Liberty's outstanding account balance is received by Armament Technology Incorporated.

At that time, we will arrange shipment of the orders either collect or to your UPS account.
Assuming your outstanding balances are paid within terms, we are willing to review the status of your account in 90 days time.

Regards,

E. J. (Ted) Milner.
Vice President
</span>"</span>
In our opinion, we have given Liberty Optics several chances in the past couple years to adjust his business practices where Premier products are concerned. Premier nor ATI, intended this to embarrass Scott in any way. Scott chose to air these internal communications publicly.

Furthermore, in order for Premier Reticles to stay in business and continue to offer warranty service, we must sell millions of dollars worth of riflescopes. The actions of Liberty Optics or any such offending account, and their refusal to abide by legally binding agreements has forced us to the decision to "suspend" their dealer status. Therefore, to protect the investments of both existing and new dealers, who have signed the same agreements, we must weed out dealers who refuse to play by the rules.

Sincerely,

Chris Thomas, President
Premier Reticles
</div></div>

The paragraphs highlighted in bold are where I really have a problem. I hardly consider a price given over a personal phone conversation to be breaking MAP. Show me his website where the price was advertised as substaintually lower and then maybe you would have a case.

Maybe price fixing is legal in Europe and Canada, but in the U.S. it is very much frowned upon. Internet is allowing for lower pricing and is driving some people out of business? Well welcome to 10 years ago and people who refuse to adjust to changing business models will go out of business. Your one line of scopes will not change the reality of today and will not keep those places in business.

Perhaps you should withdraw all sales to the United States as our free market principles are clearly in conflict with your economic ideas.

And let this thread serve as a warning to the other manufacturers out there. Any company that tries to pull this BS will be slammed as hard as Premier and ATI. I'd be just as mad if it were nightforce or US Optics pulling this and my reaction would be the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1garand30064</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Maybe price fixing is legal in Europe and Canada, but in the U.S. it is very much frowned upon. Internet is allowing for lower pricing and is driving some people out of business? Well welcome to 10 years ago and people who refuse to adjust to changing business models will go out of business. Your one line of scopes will not change the reality of today and will not keep those places in business.

Perhaps you should withdraw all sales to the United States as our free market principles are clearly in conflict with your economic ideas.

And let this thread serve as a warning to the other manufacturers out there. Any company that tries to pull this BS will be slammed as hard as Premier and ATI. I'd be just as mad if it were nightforce or US Optics pulling this and my reaction would be the same. </div></div>

maybe you can educate yourself on exactly what "price fixing" is before accusing someone of it. ONE manufacture setting the price of their items to be sold through dealers is NOT "price fixing". MULTIPLE manufactures conspiring together to set the prices IS "price fixing".

show me a definition of "price fixing" in the united states that shows otherwise and i'll retract my statement.

and as far as a free market, if a dealer doesn't like the terms put forth by the manufacture, then that dealer is free to find a manufacture that has terms he does agree with. if they don't agree on the terms, don't make an agreement. no one is forcing the dealer or manufacture to work together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1garand30064</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

And let this thread serve as a warning to the other manufacturers out there. Any company that tries to pull this BS will be slammed as hard as Premier and ATI. I'd be just as mad if it were nightforce or US Optics pulling this and my reaction would be the same. </div></div>

maybe you can educate yourself on exactly what "price fixing" is before accusing someone of it. ONE manufacture setting the price of their items to be sold through dealers is NOT "price fixing". MULTIPLE manufactures conspiring together to set the prices IS "price fixing".

show me a definition of "price fixing" in the united states that shows otherwise and i'll retract my statement.

and as far as a free market, if a dealer doesn't like the terms put forth by the manufacture, then that dealer is free to find a manufacture that has terms he does agree with. if they don't agree on the terms, don't make an agreement. no one is forcing the dealer or manufacture to work together. </div></div>

Both are "price fixing". However, VERTICAL price fixing was not ruled unconstitutional by SCOTUS per se. HORIZONTAL price fixing was ruled to be a violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act. What PH and ATI are doing is essentially VERTICAL price fixing and is not illegal <span style="font-style: italic">per se</span>.

I wonder why these companies don't operate under the laws of suppy and demand. After all, we live in a free market economy, don't we?

That price-fixing collusion is bullshit. I, for one, will never buy a PR product for that reason. To hell with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Both are "price fixing". However, VERTICAL price fixing was not ruled unconstitutional by SCOTUS per se. HORIZONTAL price fixing was ruled to be a violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act. What PH and ATI are doing is essentially VERTICAL price fixing and is not illegal <span style="font-style: italic">per se</span>. </div></div>

thank you for the information. i think people need to use the term "vertical price fixing" to describe this, not just "price fixing".

It's disappointing to see the minority in this thread justifying slimy behavior with "it's accepted business practice". I know that's the way it works in the real world and all the blah blah cut throat business world man bullshit. I'm a big boy. Thank god the majority in these threads are rejecting the standard party line of scum that promote the current state of affairs where the consumer is viewed as prey most of the time. It's that spirit that founded this country. I hope this thread gets noticed by more than just the parties involved. Underestimate the shooting community at your own peril, this one particularly.

Kudos for letting this thread run it's course imo!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Insert Name Here</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder why these companies don't operate under the laws of suppy and demand. After all, we live in a free market economy, don't we?

That price-fixing collusion is bullshit. I, for one, will never buy a PR product for that reason. To hell with them. </div></div>

they do. if no one was buying their product at a certain price point, then they would be forced to lower it. people are willing to pay what they are asking now so there is no need to lower the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scot E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Again, I have zero problems with them making money, the more the better IMO. but i do have a problem with them making money by artificially inflating their price and then requiring retailers to sell it for only that price. That IS NOT free market in any way, shape, or form. It's not about doing something nice for the consumer it is about doing the right thing by the consumer. "Build it they will come", a great line from a great movie sums this up. If you build a good enough product people will buy it and pay the premium for it because it is the best and it is worth it not because the manf requires it.

</div></div>

The free market is still very much in control. If a person thinks it is to much money then they will not buy the product. But obviously a lot of people are still willing to spend that much money, the market is deciding. They are making that choice, not Premier. If Premier has set the price to high then people would quit buying the scope, the market will decide. Currently they can continue to charge that much money because people have been buying it. What you are talking of doing, is the exact same thing (just going the other way) that you are saying that Premeir and ATI are doing. You are trying to deflate the price of the product, and that is ultimately what Scott was doing by selling way under PRs pricing schedule. I get what he was doing as a consumer and if I would have been in the market for a Premier probably would have loved the discount. But obviously PR could not allow Scott to undermine their pricing structure any longer as it was affecting their business.

Ultimately all Scott has accomplished is a big fight out in the open for everyone to see. No one looks good now, we have no idea who is really telling the truth, according to the other sides both sides are leaving out info and not being completely truthful.

I also did not mean Scott controls the whole market, just that Scott probably had a large majority of it because he was giving out a price that no one else would do. He was not playing by the rules that he agreed to while other may have been. And eventually other dealers would completely quit ordering them because they could not sell them. Then he may have been controlling PRs market. Which would be a very bad thing for everyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reality is that we consumers could change this whole issue in short order if we cared enough to sacrifice for a while. There are plenty of used scopes on the market to go around. No new scope purchases by the masses for a few months would change everyone's way of thinking on this. Like I mentioned earlier, very few would be willing to give up the time and money to get the word out and likely wouldn't be willing to go without in order to make things better. The people can still change things we just have to be willing to sacrifice for it and many of us aren't willing. </div></div>

You are exactly right on that one. But will they is the question. I doubt it, people still want that scope, and people are still going to be willing to pay for it. They are great scopes, they make a good product, one of the best. But ultimately if it is priced to high the market will adjust for it by either forcing Premier to lower the price or by them going out of business if they cannot afford to make them cheaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1garand30064</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

and as far as a free market, if a dealer doesn't like the terms put forth by the manufacture, then that dealer is free to find a manufacture that has terms he does agree with. if they don't agree on the terms, don't make an agreement. no one is forcing the dealer or manufacture to work together. </div></div>

I am well aware dude. And while this is technically legal thanks to the <span style="font-style: italic">Leegin Creative Leather Products v. PSKS, Inc. </span> SOCUTUS decision, I think it is in direct conflict with the Sherman Antitrust Act. Of course it does not matter what I think, but I do have two small votes. One is with my wallet and the other is with my recommendation. Maybe you have a different opinion on the court's decision.

I guarantee you if a government/company comes and takes my house for "community development" I will be pissed, even though the SCOTUS says it is ok. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelo_v._City_of_New_London

Premier Reticles does make a good product. THE USMC are better for PR's involvement in getting the Unertl replaced with a superior scope with a superior reticle.

Scott has laid you his take on the issue as has Chris and ATI. The buyers can decide what they wish to do but nothing good will come out of hanging PR out to dry on this forum.

A number of companies are "improving" their lines due to PR stepping up with innovations not seen for years in what has been a static market (other than US Optics which has and continues to innovate). The shooting community is better off for Premier Reticles.

That said there seems to be some questionable business practices that took place. The buyers can speak with their funds.

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MER0828</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheOneTwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't doubt that at all. But if 1 dealer controls the Premier market by selling so cheap that no other dealers can compete that hurts Premier.

They are in business to make money, they cannot grow if one dealer controls them all. Especially with ATI in the middle of this. They took on the contract to distribute and sign up new accounts. If no one will sign up because they cannot afford to sell the Premier line for such a low markup, what other choice does ATI have. </div></div>

If one distributor controls the market because his price is lower, than Premier might want to revamp the distributor base. What the heck are the rest of the guys doing, obviously not marketing the prodcut very well..I say get off your margins and procure a freaking sale, or your competition will! </div></div>

ATI is the sole distributor for the North America. ATI did this for a reason, it wasn't just to be mean to Scott. Other dealers where playing by the rules that they agreed to, they were following the pricing schedule. But because a large majority of consumers where getting a better price from Scott, no other dealers must not have been ordering scopes. So what other choice did ATI have. They have to be able to distribute the product.

I just don't understand how some of you are not getting this. Sure the price of Premier scopes went up when ATI got involved. They became the middle man,(prices always go up because of middle men) they have to get paid as well. Obviously Premier did not feel they could or was not able to handle the distribution themselves. They needed another company to handle it so they could focus on making a quality product. So now ATI has to live up to their end of the deal as well. They have to move the product, they have to sign up new accounts. If they don't Premier will not grow, they will not make money. They just cannot allow one dealer to control all that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheOneTwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I just don't understand how some of you are not getting this. Sure the price of Premier scopes went up when ATI got involved. They became the middle man,(prices always go up because of middle men) they have to get paid as well. Obviously Premier did not feel they could or was not able to handle the distribution themselves. They needed another company to handle it so they could focus on making a quality product. So now ATI has to live up to their end of the deal as well. They have to move the product, they have to sign up new accounts. If they don't Premier will not grow, they will not make money. They just cannot allow one dealer to control all that. </div></div>

A more empathetic person would argue that Scott deserved more respect from the company, and Scott's contribution to said company's marketshare should have earned him a less aggressive problem solving solution for a first offense.

It would have been nice if it was done a different way. But if you read the story, they suspended his account for 90 days. Then he could have continued business as usual. It was not the first time they had gotten after Scott. He even said they had sent out letters about it to all the dealers. He posted one of them, that should have let him know they were watching and things needed to change. At that point, Scott is the one who chose to part ways, Scott is also the one who chose to make this all public. This whole thing is a product of decisions that Scott made nothing more. He chose not to follow their pricing schedule, he chose not to adjust his business when the letters came. They he chose to part ways with Premier and he chose to make this all public.

I vote for locking this and the other two threads.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheOneTwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would have been nice if it was done a different way.

</div></div>

That's what most people are doing in this thread. Agreeing with you, with their wallet. You think it's overkill. I disagree. /shrug

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheOneTwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He chose not to follow their pricing schedule, he chose not to adjust his business when the letters came.</div></div>

While I agree with most of what you said, this is the issue. Maybe you should reread what is being said. MAP does not equal price fixing which is what Premier and ATI are trying to do. Even if it was on the invoice, last time I checked I dont mail out invoices to my customers as ads.

One thing to consider looking at the retailers the Premier Reticles has on it's website is that they are all online dealers and not brick and mortar stores.

I can understand why Scott feels the way he does. He was there before ATI and dealt directly with Premier. He obviously felt they should have dealt directly with him instead of setting him up. Which I don't believe ATI or Premier did. We all know it was GB Stumpp and Associates, Inc. As per Scott and ATI's statements here @ the Hide.

I can understand ATI position on pricing too. If you have a large online retailer such as Midwayusa, and they do, selling their scopes you don't want to loss them as a retailer. I don't know what retailer has the largest volume of sales for ATI, but I do know ATI doesn't want to loss them.

Also, GB Stumpp and Associates, Inc. was trying to get Premier's scopes into brick and mortar store in their region of the country and felt that Liberty Optics was a threat to their business. So, they set Scott up.

Also, <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In order to not lose the Dealers that buy the majority of the Premier products from us, we had to enforce the Minimum Advertised Price policy that we have in place. To That end, certain Dealers, in exchange for our very lowest pricing, were asked to sign a document that assured us that they were adhering to the policy. The signature at the bottom of the document was really meant to be an assurance that the Dealer understood the policy and would agree to do business with us under those terms. When the term of the agreement expired, we did not insist upon signing a renewal in that the subject was referenced in our regular Terms.</div></div> (this is quote from ATI's response)

This shows that the contract had expired and therefor, Scott was not under contract. Regular terms at the bottom of an invoice are shipping terms and payment terms, for example -net 30 or prepaid and add.

What's the truth here anyway? I don't know.

However, I do know this rubbed me the wrong way --
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dear Hiders,
My apologies for not responding sooner. Some folks in the industry actually take a break from their day job and try to enjoy the weekend with their families (and Moms). Nevertheless, it is Monday. So back to work.</div></div>

It was stated quite often that it was a holiday weekend and that we look forward to Premier's responds. However, that doesn't sound very much like an apology. JMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To whom it may concern at Premier reticles,
1) Do you remember when you didn't want to repair a Leupold sent in for repair that had your reticle, supposedly because the reticle that you manufactured wasn't available anymore. What happened when the "Hide" got involved??

2) Do you remember when people that paid retail on preorders recieved their scopes after everyone who got them at discounted prices??

3) Do you remember when your scope was originally projected to cost 1500,1700,2000,2200,2500,2700....dollars??

3) Do you remember when Scott took you on to help out your cashflow; to free up some of your funds??

4) Where do you get off thinking that a scope that has parts made in NUNYA (Taiwan) should have the same percieved value as a Schmidt & Bender??

5) Can anyother manufacturer claim your return rate for failures or malfunctions; including Barska or whomever?

6) Whatever happened to your supposed USMC contract??

7) Whatever happened to your Made in the USA claims??

8) Do you think those employees that you fired the day before Christmas had a good one??

9) You knew for years the prices Scott was selling your scopes because you needed the revenue, now he is expendable??

10) Do you pay anything to USO for their MTC design and is their patent on your product while you demand them to pay for your reticle and display your patent?

For years you've been trying to lay it to the American Public!

Like I said an explanation/apology w/ no substance!</div></div>

Amen.

+1 Especially #2. Alot of preorders from this site, a shame customers were treated like that. Usually when companies do this, it is to fund or fiance tooling, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawhornsoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To whom it may concern at Premier reticles,
1) Do you remember when you didn't want to repair a Leupold sent in for repair that had your reticle, supposedly because the reticle that you manufactured wasn't available anymore. What happened when the "Hide" got involved??

2) Do you remember when people that paid retail on preorders recieved their scopes after everyone who got them at discounted prices??

3) Do you remember when your scope was originally projected to cost 1500,1700,2000,2200,2500,2700....dollars??

3) Do you remember when Scott took you on to help out your cashflow; to free up some of your funds??

4) Where do you get off thinking that a scope that has parts made in NUNYA (Taiwan) should have the same percieved value as a Schmidt & Bender??

5) Can anyother manufacturer claim your return rate for failures or malfunctions; including Barska or whomever?

6) Whatever happened to your supposed USMC contract??

7) Whatever happened to your Made in the USA claims??

8) Do you think those employees that you fired the day before Christmas had a good one??

9) You knew for years the prices Scott was selling your scopes because you needed the revenue, now he is expendable??

10) Do you pay anything to USO for their MTC design and is their patent on your product while you demand them to pay for your reticle and display your patent?

For years you've been trying to lay it to the American Public!

Like I said an explanation/apology w/ no substance!</div></div>

Amen.
</div></div>

Thanks to Ilya's Tactical Scopes Review Part II, I had pretty much decided on a Premier.....a now this shit storm crops up and I still want one, but can't stand the thought of my money going to that condescending unapologetic Commie bastard Chris Thomas. Solutions anyone? Second hand maybe?

Oh, and now we all have a rough idea of the gigantic markup in these at the retailer end (which to be fair, they apparently don't have a choice!) and that it's impossible to get a "good deal".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRCampos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.

I dont know if someone already posted, but ATI made a post here on Sniper Hide.

Link: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2547287&nt=3&page=1

</div></div>

And ATI says and repeats that the policy is Minimum <span style="font-weight: bold">ADVERSTISED</span> Price - MAP.

I just read Scott's Blog and came here to post about it. Guess I'm a little late. Price fixing really pisses me off, between the left stealing what we make before we get it and our own people stealing what we have left, it's amazing we have a pot to piss in.

It's guys like Scott that have fueled the revolution in shooting products, not ATI. I know an action/trigger manufacturer and to do a cost effective product run the guy has to mortgage his house. That's risk. The guy's that run ATI are there because they could not make it at WalMart.

Were cobbling together our pennies to get this stuff and Scott is making it happen, Scott took the money out of his margin not theirs. Right now, if Scott wasn't Scott, no way I could get my scope.

If they think jacking us make makes us want to hang out with them they got their market all wrong. They should get into golf or NFL t-shirts. We shoot what works, f**k the rest. If it comes at an honest price point I think more of the company not less

That reminds me I have to call Scott.

Mike

Well this thread is an entertaining read if nothing else... lots of emotion on both sides.

The thing that rubs me the most is the MAP issue. It's been debated and argued for / against on here more than a time or two before, but I still don't like it. Unfortunately it is what it is and I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon. That's really not too bad though as long as is it stays what it says, Minimum Advertised Price. Once it goes beyond that it seems really damn silly to me. Legal or not I don't like a distributor locking down the free market. Don't advertise it? Fine, I still don't agree with even that but whatever. But to say a dealer can't sell what is now their property for whatever they want rubs me wrong.

I understand the arguments for MAP, I just think they're bullshit. I bought a new Dan Wesson 1911 last year. I could have saved $200-$300 by ordering one on Gunbroker. Instead, I walked into my local shop and paid full MSRP on it. I did it for many reasons: customer service, it was in stock, and I just like supporting local shops (the good ones anyway). If a local shop can't survive because someone else is selling the product cheaper, then they don't deserve to survive. That is as American as apple pie right there. Win the customer's $$$ through superior service or get out of the way. ... I almost can't even believe this is still a debate...

I honestly wonder exactly why PR / ATI take such offense to below MAP selling (not advertising). Are they truly trying to defend dealers? Or are they trying to artificially inflate the brand and keep the scope priced in the "major league" for appearances? From their own response it seems they're much more concerned with the brand than helping the business-sense-challenged little guy... I think the little guy thing is just an easier argument to make publicly to consumers and this community.

In the end, I don't like or agree with PR / ATI's current "business model". I know nothing of their scopes except for what I've read here. I had no interest in a Heritage, but was eyeballing the new "Light Tactical" with some interest. That interest is no longer there, nor will it be unless their "business model" is altered. It's absolutely their right to run things how they want, but it's our right to voice our displeasure through our wallets. ... It will be interesting to see if the displeasure voiced here has any long term effect. This thread definitely has grown wings, but people seem to have short term memories these days. I would bet PR / ATI are betting the thing will just blow over. I personally hope they're wrong and are forced to change things before they go under. I further hope that would send a message to the industry at large about how to manage their precious MAP policies... that hope is probably not realistic but I like it anyway.

Like most here I've had many dealings with Scott. Classy dude for sure. I've never ever doubted that with Scott, I as the customer come first. I don't get the same impression from PR / ATI's respective replies. For that reason Liberty Optics will still be my first stop for anything they carry. I don't think it's "forum fan boy" sentiment as some would suggest... Scott has simply earned my business through repeatedly exceptional customer service. It's that simple.

Ok, I understand the hub-bub and folks backing their guy Scott. I mean this crowd more than most has some loyal folks and in a community such as this customer service and delivering what is expected gets you some aggressive support. I like that, its part of what draws me here for knowledge. I know you guys won't back losers.

However, there is also a large amount of speculating going on here. People keep holding on the the definition of MAP when it was clearly described as "MAP agreement".

I'm no lawyer, but there is a distinct difference between describing something as MAP by definition and referring to a "MAP Agreement" which could have several steps and processes up to and including a minimum pricing agreement. As we know from various laws passed in the past few years, just because the title says one thing doesn't mean everything in it applies directly.

Again, I haven't read it either, and it's not really my place to demand to do so. The thing is, we don't even know if minimum pricing = the MAP price, it is certainly possible Scott was allowed a level of non-advertized discount and violated that. This is speculation because I don't have the information.

Moreover, we don't know the effects of market share or regional sales that has occurred by issues here, we also don't know that Scott was the only vendor caught up in this. Its entirely possible that this was becoming a dealer network problem and the first step was sending notices followed by compliance testing.

Scott was caught up in the compliance testing, he was punished.

Here's where I'm at, there are a lot of holes in both stories which breeds wild speculation, but I don't expect to have them filled. Scott has stuff about his business that he won't want to divulge and ATI/Premier does as well.

I don't have a problem with a company planning and making decisions to grow their product distribution capacity. I won't pretend to know the best way to do so either. I do know from my personal experience in beancounting for mass manufacturers that I guarantee you all have used, these plans are in place to do several things ultimately to make money for the bottom line but also to support expansion and investment in new tech and other development.

We all know the small time rifle builder who catches fire and in turn pisses off new customers because he can't meet the new demand, and then old customers because they supported him when he was coming up, ect. Why? Because he never had a plan to grow or didn't have the structure in place to be flexible enough to handle the changes. Sure, there are plenty of reasons for this, most of the time it's because he's busy trying to make product and can't plan, but doesn't change the result.

I'll admit, I've fallen victim to my desires to butt into a thread that I'm not married to. This is my 3rd post on a subject I tried to tell myself to not get involved in yesterday... oops.

As a business person, I'd be leery to do business with Scott. great guy or not, I would want distributors to honor my vision for a product I make and the agreements I devise to grow a brand. I certainly applaud the service and loyalty Scott shows the Hide and his other customers, but where is his loyalty to his product lines? Why are we reading a flame thread on a website that is no doubt in my mind going to harm a brand Scott was recently promoting? 'Cause his feelings were hurt? He feared a flame thread with his name in the subject? I dunno, but this disturbs me.

As a customer I want to get the best price, its only natural. I also want to know that a brand I spend top dollar on has plans to be around to back a lifetime warranty. Sometimes that means spending a little extra, fine. I certainly want a company I support to have plans in place to expand so when I need them later I don't see a drop off in performance.
It doesn't do me a lick of good to get a scope half off when I'm SOL 5 years from now because that company is gone or has sold out to someone else who only sell scopes under a brand name with lesser quality.

My apologies for the lengthy rant.
Full disclosure - I don't own a Premire optic, or any of the ATI product lines. I am waiting on a USO though...

-Ino

this thread makes me wanna go burry my face in rosie odonnell's snatch, jus sayin........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Like most here I've had many dealings with Scott. Classy dude for sure. I've never ever doubted that with Scott, I as the customer come first. I don't get the same impression from PR / ATI's respective replies. For that reason Liberty Optics will still be my first stop for anything they carry. I don't think it's "forum fan boy" sentiment as some would suggest... <span style="font-weight: bold">Scott has simply earned my business through repeatedly exceptional customer service. It's that simple.</span></div></div>
I couldn't have said it any better..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this thread makes me wanna go burry my face in rosie odonnell's snatch, jus sayin........ </div></div>

And.... what's wrong with that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawhornsoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Amen.
</div></div>

I was one of those guys covered by #1. Left a bad taste in my mouth.