• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weapon Mounted LRF with Ballistics - Reviews/Ratings?

Fred @ Bison Tactical

Bison Tactical
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 18, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    www.bisontactical.com
    Hello,
    Now that Ted from American Rifle Company has released what should be a very solid mount for a weapon mounted LRF, I am interested in trying one out.

I know there is a LOT of knowledge here on these and I know about some of them like the Raptar S - however there may be many I am not aware of. So, for the things that are available today (not discontinued items) what are your thoughts on the functionality pros/cons of them? Ideally firsthand experience and some examples of use (distance etc).

There are VERY few of them on the market. I think partially because of issues with how SilencerCo made out on their LRF, frankly.

Civilian Side, I'm aware of the:
    Raptar S / ES
    Newcon
    Crappy chinesium ones
    TRYBE Dima1000

I honestly think its time for Sig to step in with their new LRF stuff in a weapon mounted fashion.
    Cowitness with an IR laser/green laser for zeroing. It would be the tits. That or drive the laser emitter for the LRF with constant current for an IR pointer...

I think the Raptar is the only one probably worth mentioning that is not discontinued but then it is a bit spendy. Armasight (was bought by FLIR) and Silencerco both discontinued theirs.

L3 Squad Range Finder.

Weapon mounted, but no on board ballistics.

Hello,
    Now that Ted from American Rifle Company has released what should be a very solid mount for a weapon mounted LRF, I am interested in trying one out.

I know there is a LOT of knowledge here on these and I know about some of them like the Raptar S - however there may be many I am not aware of. So, for the things that are available today (not discontinued items) what are your thoughts on the functionality pros/cons of them? Ideally firsthand experience and some examples of use (distance etc).

Last edited:
    Is it much of a big deal to run a stand alone high power I.R. illuminator in conjunction with the low power Raptar?

I believe the range finder feature among the Raptar models is the same, it's just the I.R. illuminator feature that differs, yes?

Price is high though, regardless of Raptar model.

The price and trash ass Illuminator unless you get a full power version

Is it much of a big deal to run a stand alone high power I.R. illuminator in conjunction with the low power Raptar?

I believe the range finder feature among the Raptar models is the same, it's just the I.R. illuminator feature that differs, yes?

Price is high though, regardless of Raptar model.
    Yes. It’s the same laser, and it works well. I have the ballistics one.

They meet my needs well. Most annoying raptar issue is the power switch. It always turns itself on too easy and then is dead.

Please do tell me why so much hate for the Silencer Co SWR? I have not had one problem besides the lame battery cover

I’ve got a legit demo high power Raptar s I would trade for $2k and a Raptar ses.

I don’t have night vision so don’t need the ultra high power ir

Please do tell me why so much hate for the Silencer Co SWR? I have not had one problem besides the lame battery cover
    I don’t think there is any hate for it. The issue is they don’t make them anymore so I don’t consider it as an option. Especially for the ridiculous prices I see them being sold for on the secondary market.

Reactions: stefan73
    No hate, wish they still made that. I was busy being deployed and being a broke ass soldier to buy one before they dumped them. Wish I had gotten on that train.

My setup, Wilcox RAPTAR on top of a Revic PMR which is the fastest and easiest that I have been able to put together so far.

RevicRaptar.jpg

1 - Look through the scope, put the crosshair on the target, and hit the range button on the RAPTAR
    2 - The range will display on the RAPTAR
    3 - Dial the Elevation Knob on the Revic PMR until the correct range is in the display. I can also hold in the reticle for larger more forgiving targets at the ranges where I have the DOPE memorized.
    4 - Pull the trigger!
    The ballistic calculation is handled by the Revic PMR.
    NOT cheap, but it is all mounted on the rifle, and no need for anything else. The RAPTAR is a kick ass LRF, and the Revic onboard ballistics are good.
    Combined with this PWS 6.5 Creedmoor piston semiauto, it is HELL on anything moving!

Last edited:
    My setup, Wilcox RAPTAR on top of a Revic PMR which is the fastest and easiest that I have been able to put together so far.

View attachment 7708347
    1 - Look through the scope, put the crosshair on the target, and hit the range button on the RAPTAR
    3 - Dial the Elevation Knob on the Revic PMR until the correct range is in the display
    4 - Pull the trigger!
    NOT cheap, but it is all mounted on the rifle, and no need for anything else. The RAPTAR is a kick ass LRF, and the Revic onboard ballistics are good.
    Combined with this PWS 6.5 Creedmoor piston semiauto, it is HELL on anything moving!
    Yeah, that's certainly the most effective combo out there....if you are man enough to tote it further than 10 yards.

Yeah, that's certainly the most effective combo out there....if you are man enough to tote it further than 10 yards.
    Throw it in the Eberlestock and roll on, then throw it on a tripod, and let the fun begin!
    Needless to say, it is not a back country mountain climbing setup, but that is not what it was built for.
    That being said, I know plenty of Operators who are using the same setup in the real world. Very similar setup below being used by Tier 1 teams, which is where I first saw it in use.
    USASOC 1.jpg

Rigs.jpg

I'm sure it's 1550 nm? I'm guessing it will be north of $2k if not $3k

View attachment 7708347
    3 - Dial the Elevation Knob on the Revic PMR until the correct range is in the display. I can also hold in the reticle for larger more forgiving targets at the ranges where I have the DOPE memorized.
    4 - Pull the trigger!
    You can get the S or SES Raptar with ballistics and use whatever scope you want

5FDCE8ED-6EAC-4610-B9F5-1043A197207C.jpeg

You can get the S or SES Raptar with ballistics and use whatever scope you want

View attachment 7710702
    You can!!! You just have to be able to find and afford the model with the ballistics!
    I was able to get both the RAPTAR and Revic Scope used for less than what a new RAPTAR-S was going to cost by itself.
    "Budget" is relative! There are people who can't believe that I have about $6K tied up in my setup, but looking at the setup above, that could easily be another $3K.
    Unfortunately you ultimately have to pay for a higher level of performance. Of course I shot a rifle for many years "effectively" with a handheld LRF, a Kestral, and a standard scope, and a DOPE card. Technology can save time and effort, but nothing says you must have the latest wiz-bang technology or that it will always lead to success.

You can!!! You just have to be able to find and afford the model with the ballistics!
    I was able to get both the RAPTAR and Revic Scope used for less than what a new RAPTAR-S was going to cost by itself.
    "Budget" is relative! There are people who can't believe that I have about $6K tied up in my setup, but looking at the setup above, that could easily be another $3K.
    Unfortunately you ultimately have to pay for a higher level of performance. Of course I shot a rifle for many years "effectively" with a handheld LRF, a Kestral, and a standard scope, and a DOPE card. Technology can save time and effort, but nothing says you must have the latest wiz-bang technology or that it will always lead to success.

I'll add to that, everything is a compromise, and the balance is often different depending on use case. This halfway point of scopes with ballistic calculators/displays + rangefinders that work together via wireless is very kludgy to me; just a necessary in-between until the fully integrated LRF/environmental scopes hit the market. Until then, I prefer having LRF binoculars since I already need them for observation, with built in environmental/ballistic solvers - then I just dial/hold on the scope. If I were in a situation where I needed to rapidly range and engage targets, it would make more sense to have a weapon mounted LRF and deal with the 'in-between' phase of tech, and all of the downsides that comes with it.

I'll add to that, everything is a compromise, and the balance is often different depending on use case. This halfway point of scopes with ballistic calculators/displays + rangefinders that work together via wireless is very kludgy to me; just a necessary in-between until the fully integrated LRF/environmental scopes hit the market. Until then, I prefer having LRF binoculars since I already need them for observation, with built in environmental/ballistic solvers - then I just dial/hold on the scope. If I were in a situation where I needed to rapidly range and engage targets, it would make more sense to have a weapon mounted LRF and deal with the 'in-between' phase of tech, and all of the downsides that comes with it.

Ha - sorry to resurrect this, but just read the last 2 comments.

I believe LRShooter101's setup doesn't have any communication between the two devices.

Basically from reading his comment - he gets the distance from the RAPTAR, then dials the Revic scope until the display internally in the scope reads the distance to the target. This is Revic's method of ballistic solution in the disturbed reticle. No wireless communicate needed. And I believe this would be pretty fast.

The alternative would be the Raptar-S which would provide drop, then dial the drop in MILS or MOA on the scope. His comment was the Revic + RAPTAR was way less expensive than RAPTAR-S - and the scope is essentially free.

I ran the Steiner IFS scope, and the battery life SUCKED, so I hope the Revic battery life is much better, otherwise I wouldn't rely on it. Every time I wanted to use my Steiner IFS scope I had to replace the battery, and I really hope they get that figured out.

Reactions: stefan73
    There are VERY few of them on the market. I think partially because of issues with how SilencerCo made out on their LRF, frankly.

Civilian Side, I'm aware of the:
    Raptar S / ES
    Newcon
    Crappy chinesium ones
    TRYBE Dima1000

I honestly think its time for Sig to step in with their new LRF stuff in a weapon mounted fashion.
    Cowitness with an IR laser/green laser for zeroing. It would be the tits. That or drive the laser emitter for the LRF with constant current for an IR pointer...
    I heard there's one in the works but don't know if it geared towards the military or civilian side, probably military.

Ha - sorry to resurrect this, but just read the last 2 comments.

I believe LRShooter101's setup doesn't have any communication between the two devices.

Basically from reading his comment - he gets the distance from the RAPTAR, then dials the Revic scope until the display internally in the scope reads the distance to the target. This is Revic's method of ballistic solution in the disturbed reticle. No wireless communicate needed. And I believe this would be pretty fast.

The alternative would be the Raptar-S which would provide drop, then dial the drop in MILS or MOA on the scope. His comment was the Revic + RAPTAR was way less expensive than RAPTAR-S - and the scope is essentially free.

I ran the Steiner IFS scope, and the battery life SUCKED, so I hope the Revic battery life is much better, otherwise I wouldn't rely on it. Every time I wanted to use my Steiner IFS scope I had to replace the battery, and I really hope they get that figured out.
    The only issue that I can think of with the Raptar/Revic combo is that if you are engaging multiple targets, you need to dial back down to zero each time you range (as the Raptar is zeroed to your optic's reticle). The Raptar with AB on a good optic is still currently king, I think, but a bit too rich for my blood right now. Hopefully something new and a bit less spendy comes out soon. Oh and nice meeting you at BOTC, thanks for ro'ing :)

The only issue that I can think of with the Raptar/Revic combo is that if you are engaging multiple targets, you need to dial back down to zero each time you range (as the Raptar is zeroed to your optic's reticle). The Raptar with AB on a good optic is still currently king, I think, but a bit too rich for my blood right now. Hopefully something new and a bit less spendy comes out soon. Oh and nice meeting you at BOTC, thanks for ro'ing :)
    No problem at all (I got to shoot a lot between other shooters - it was fun RO'ing) - and I totally agree with you - the LRF will be only zero'd at the zero distance, so a hold over instead of dialing would be better I think at least for some distance.

Reactions: dgheriani