• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Weapon mounted vs Helmet mounted IR illuminator

baue

Minuteman
Jun 22, 2014
Colorado Springs
Just finishing up buying a whole set up and can't decide if I should get a helmet mounted IR illuminator or a weapon mounted one. I feel like having one mounted on your rifle means having to point your rifle at what you want to see (which isnt always ideal) but having one mounted on yourr helmet seems more restrictive as far as the controls not being right at your fingertips with a pressure switch. Any ideas on what the best way to go is? Both seems like a tempting and expensive answer :cool:

As far as helmet mounted I have only used the Surefire helmet light, which left much to be desired (battery life/drain was the biggest issue). Around brush I use the IR on the PVS14 to detect eye shine, out in the open I have a scout light with vampire head mounted to the rifle.

The best answer is both. I have a surefire m1 on my helmet and it works great for lighting up everywhere you look, range is about 50 yards or so. I mounted a Streamlight super tac on the weapon for much longer range. They work really well together and were not too expensive (about $100 each from amazon and ebay) ir combo.jpg

The best answer is both. I have a surefire m1 on my helmet and it works great for lighting up everywhere you look, range is about 50 yards or so. I mounted a Streamlight super tac on the weapon for much longer range. They work really well together and were not too expensive (about $100 each from amazon and ebay)View attachment 47213

Both is the winner. On helmet, I went with a StreamLight Sidewinder Compact- can't say enough good things about it- about $60. On the other side of hte helmet for longer distances, I mounted an old ATN 450 that is adjustable for spot/flood and power/ output. About $100 on eBay. Yes, it is ATN, but I've beat the hell out of a couple of those illuminators for 5 or 6 years and have had zero problems. If I set it to spot and crank the power to 100%, I have no problem seeing out 200 yards on a clear night. Its beam is also adjustable for windage/ elevation so you can position it to the center of your 14. On the rifle, I have tried the SuperTac, and yes, it is a beast and is overkill at less than 100 yards. Streamlight's TL2-IR is a hand held IR that is weapon mountable like the SuperTac, and has the same out put, but just a smaller reflector. The TRL1-IR is a weapon mounted IR that has the same output and specs as the TL2. I prefer both of these to the SuperTac due to size mostly. I am also a fan of the 952V- I like not having 2 lights on the rifle. I keep it on my thermal AR. Once the first shot happens and the pigs start going nuts, I pop on the white light and use red or green lasers to shoot.

Thanks everyone for the awesome replies. I thought running two illuminators would be much more expensive. I appreciate the suggestions outside of just the Surefire brand because I had no idea where to start looking. I'm running a helmet mounted PVS14 for some basic hunting of coyote and a whole lot of fun. Any other opinions would be appreciated and hopefully I'll be back on here with some pics soon!

For a helmet mounted illuminator I have Surefire M1's on some of my helmets, and Armasight IR850W's on others. For weapons mounting, you can get Surefire M952v's really reasonable on ebay. If you don't need more than 100 yards of range, its a good option due to the versatility. I run the 600v because it is just as bright, smoother, smaller, and lighter. The streamlight offerings are absolutely excellent for the money as well. In fact, I should have streamlights newest product in the next week or so to review here. They are doing a TLR with an IR illuminator and an IR laser at a reasonable cost. I like the ability to have multiple functions in one unit to save space and for simplicities sake. The T-20IR is another great weapons mounted illuminator and hangs with offerings that cost twice as much.

You really want both though. Helmet mounted and weapons mounted IR serve two completely different purposes. I don't use IR lum unless I have to. A lot of hunting trips I will go out and never turn on an illuminator. But, it's not always avoidable, and it has benefits other than just lighting up shadows/indoors/really dark environments. They can be useful to scan a field for eye shine (for detection purposes). Just don't be that idiot that shoots at a pair of unidentified eyes, or anything else you haven't personally 100% identified as something that needs to be shot, safely.

For helmet use, one of the things I like in an illuminator is the ability to adjust focus and power output. You don't want to use the same power output to look for something indoors as you would looking for something across a field. I want a helmet mounted illuminator to have a constant on activation that is intuitive.

I also like my weapons mounted illuminators to have momentary activation.

What ranges are you looking at shooting the yotes out to?

I haven't found any use for a weapon mounted illuminator (yet) {after 18 mos and about 2000 live rounds) ... I shoot on my land and the grass/vegetation is usually too high to allow the illuminator to see over it. I get more reflection back at me, resulting in making it harder to see the target with the illuminator on than with it off.
So, I've mounted two of my three IR Illuminators on my two helmets in case they can be used there, though so far, I have seen no advantage from them there.
I have my third "good" IR illuminator available for my weapons in case I ever find a benefit for such.
I turn my illuminators on from time to time .. but inevitably I can see less with them on than I can with them off.