• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wearable gear advice from users.

mattwaage1

Slacker
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2012
Rock Springs, WY
Hello all,
I am in the market for some items, and never really using any of them I am looking for some advice from people who have used them.

I am looking for:

1: A Pack. Something with a scabbard to hold a TRG, a water bladder, and plenty of room to use as a 3 day bug out type pack, or camping pack, but also manageable enough to use to small shooting only trips into the woods, and enough room for rifle, ammo, rangefinders, gear, bipods, food, water, clothes, sleeping bag or tent... etc. Maybe not a sleeping bag or tent but You get my idea. I was thinking a Eberlestock Dragonfly J107M or a GS2. The dragonfly can be zipped smaller for little trips with just the rifle and accessories or made bigger for overnight trips from what I read. I have read the specs on both but when they start talking about the options it gets a little boggling. Anyone with some good advice on what pack or accessories to use or add to either of these or any others that fit my requirments?

2: Chest rig. with the giant influx of made in china gear I am looking for reputable quality gear. I would like a chest rig that has or can be equipped with mag pouches for rifles, comm. stuff, holster for sidearms perhaps, and can also double as a plate carrier/armor, either built in III-A or something that can be equipped with the III or IV plates. I have little experience with this so show your work if you recommend something so I can learn haha.

I thought I had more things but now that I started typing I cant think of any more...

Thanks in advance!
-Matt

Last edited:
For #1. Best bet IMO is an eberlestock G4 operator. has everything you just said you wanted in a pack and they are very well made.

As far as #2, there is a lot of good chest rigs out there. Try BDS tactical, they've never let me down and are fully customizable.
Tactical Chest Rigs

I guess I have a poor sense as to the size of these packs. Any reasons you prefer the G4 over the G2 or dragonfly , darkside? How many "milk crates full of stuff" does a G4 hold?
I will have to take a closer look at the kifaru system but I like how the rifle is protected in the eberlestock systems

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

I guess I have a poor sense as to the size of these packs. Any reasons you prefer the G4 over the G2 or dragonfly , darkside? How many "milk crates full of stuff" does a G4 hold?
I will have to take a closer look at the kifaru system but I like how the rifle is protected in the eberlestock systems

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

I've never personally used the G2 or gunslinger. I was in the same boat you're in though and I was referred to an eberlestock. On their website you can see a demo video of what every pack features and the G4 seemed perfect for me at the time. The G4 holds a shit ton of stuff though!!

I like the X3 Lo-Drag over the larger packs because the internal space is a bit smaller. It keeps me from trying to bring everything and the kitchen sink. I could easily live out of it for 3 days or so in the boonies. If you go with a tarp/hammock you can even pack your shelter.

For the chest rig, eggroll makes almost exactly what you want except the armor carrier aspect. However, a ton of people use a Mayflower armor carrier with the ability to attach his stuff to the front, so you can run with or without armor as desired, all it takes is a couple clicks from some side-release buckles. Check out the VOCR or the D3 he makes for Travis Haley.

I'll comment on packs and share my opinion.

I am currently using an Eberlestock pack (mid sized pack) and have been for almost 5 years. It works, but I want more room for extended missions to always include (food, water, rain gear, ghillie suit, spotting scope and tripod, tripod shooting system, etc.) the G4 operator would be adequate for this without strapping several things to the outside. But, I used a friends G4 on an extended hunt a couple of years ago and it was uncomfortable to say the least.... The problem I see with the Eberlestock packs is the cargo compartment is pushed farther away from your back making the weight fulcrum off the rifle in the scabbard and causing balance on uneven terrain to be more difficult. I am in the planning stages of getting my group Kifaru packs and attaching our rifles to the side of the pack. I am currently using a Kifaru timberline pack for hunting....awesome!

Best of luck to you.