• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Weather Station & Pocket PC Software ... Questions

Tim_in_NC

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2010
Hi all,

I'm looking to pick up a handheld weather station and Pocket PC with Ballistics Software to help with my long range shooting (approx 300 to 800 yards ... maybe a little further as time goes) ...

From what I've read the Kestrel 4500 seems like a great choice for the weather station.

As for the Pocket PC ...

Would I be good with a Dell Axim X50 or X51 with a software package like Exbal installed?

Are there better or cheaper alternatives out there?

Any help prior to me purchasing these items will be appreciated to ensure that I'm on the right path ...

Tim

Re: Weather Station & Pocket PC Software ... Questions

Sucks about Exbal ... I guess I'll just get the Nightforce software as I believe it's the same as Exbal anyway ... right ...

Tim,

Not sure about less expensive, but I can tell you FFS (Field Firing Soultion) is solid and it will run on a moble Windows unit-- more prefered is the Nomad but understanbly it is expensive.

-K

fyi/little known app for i-phones is wind velocity meter 1 time cost 1.99 tried it out window at fifferent speeds,right on money!

I don't care for Coldbore, its price,licensing or the OS it requires to operate. Other than that I'm a fan
smile.gif

Why are you focusing on a PDA? A little IPOD, IPHONE or Android device of all types can run great software for ballistics solutions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cstmwrks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a wind meter already so I just bought a digital barometer from Ambiant Weather for 32.00 and downloaded ColdBore 1.0 from Patagonia. </div></div>