• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weatherby 300 Mag

knighthawk001

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2009
Hi. I received a used Weatherby Vanguard in 300 WBY Mag as a gift for Christmas and was wondering what anybody can tell me about this type of gun.

Its all black/synthetic stock. Im not sure how old it is but it doesn't appear to be very old. Are these fairly good rifles? Accuracy? etc I see that it was manufactured in Japan.

Ive always been interested in trying long range target shooting (600+ yards) and I was hoping this gun would be a good place to start. I have fired a few shots at 100 yards through it using the cheap Bushnell scope that's on it. It has a nasty kick to it lol After a few shots my shoulder had a nice round bruise developing
laugh.gif

One thing ive noticed about this gun is I cant find any ammo local for it. Online its averaging around $50+ per box. Anything good and its nearly $100 for box of ammo.

I browsed a few scopes and ive been eyeing the Millet 4x16-50 tactical scope. Opinions?

Re: Weatherby 300 Mag

I have a Winchester 70 chambered in 300 weatherby and I can confirm that ammo is expensive. I don't have any trouble finding it locally, but you're not going to find any factory match ammo if you get into target shooting. I doubt that your vanguard has a heavy barrel so its not geared toward range shooting. I shot about 10 rounds this fall getting my scope setup the way I wanted it and it left the same bruise you're experiencing now. A brake is an option but the blast from a 300 weatherby through a brake will piss off the people on either side of you. I would be selective about the scope you put on it. I have an older Leupold Vari-X II and on mine and its done well. A friend of mine who also has a 300 weatherby went through a couple scopes before he found one that could continually take the recoil. The problem with that scope was the eye relief was a little short and he's scoped himself a couple times with it so far. I don't know much about the vanguard but the 300 weatherby round is a good one as well as you can take recoil and spend the money on ammo.

I believe the newer Japanese Vanguards are Howa 1500 actions. I'm not sure about older ones.

Weatherby rocks, but the recoil is brutal and you really need to reload.

I have a .340 weatherby in Mark V and love it, but it has a brake on it. I tried shooting it without a brake when I first got it - no thanks. Not any more.

The Howa/Vanguard is an excellent rifle. The .300 Bee is a 600 yard moose gun with the right bullets, it's far too much gun for work up close.

+1 on the ammo comments. My dad has a 300wby mag (Mark V Ultralight.....ouch) as his elk gun and a box of shells in town is anywhere from 60-85 bucks! So I did a load development for him and with the pencil barrel have been able to get about 1 moa out of it with the best group at .75 moa. That's at about a dollar per shot.

How do I know if my rifle is a howa action? Mine looks identical to this one here

I used to have a 300 Weatherby but it was built on a Remington action. The round is absolutely amazing for Long Range use. However their are some trade offs. Vangard rifles are good rifles also but they can be challenging to find aftermarket stuff for.

When it comes to ammunition you might as well get ready to roll your own. Hardly anyone loads ammunition that takes full advantage of the round from the factory. For hunting I would use something along the lines of 200 grain Accubonds or 210 grain Bergers. Otherwise look at some of the new 30 caliber bullets in the 230 grain class. Also this round produces lot of recoil but a muzzle device is a must if you shoot it a lot. When it comes to brass Weatherby is where it is at. They cost more but they will out last Norma. As for powder is was using H1000 but I think Retumbo would be a better choice especially for heavies.

The only experience I have with one is one that a friend of mine purchased thinking it was a 300 win mag. I told him it wasn't the same thing. I asked him if it had a muzzle brake. He said no. I told him he would regret it (because I knew how sensitive he was to recoil).

It kicks like a mule and is expensive to feed if you don't reload.

That being said.....what a devastating round!

I had a Win Model 70 in 300 WBY. I free floated the barrel and got .75 - 1 MOA accuracy from it @ 100yd. with Rem Factory Ammo. Recoil was quick and stout. I never had to track a deer with the 180gr Rem corelokts. Great cartridge if you can handle recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knighthawk001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do I know if my rifle is a howa action? Mine looks identical to this one here </div></div>

I believe that ones a Howa. Cosmetically a little different, same guts. Good rifle.

I have a SAKO TRG-S in 300Wby. Quite accurate, shoots flat and hits hard. I loathe to shoot it off the bench or prone.

I also have a Win M70 in 300wby. Pencil barrel w/o break. I thinks its a great hunting gun, its a joy to carry.

If you get good quality brass that lasts, rolling your own ammo is the way to go and will save you a ton. Last time I loaded up 80 or so, it did take a whole pound of powder...
cool.gif
And I always load on the light side too.

Reload!!!!! I,ve got one of the "old German guns", and I love it! She kicks a little, but I just figure she's telling me she's there.Price per shell is high. That's why I do my own reloads.

I bought a mark V lefthanded almost 30 years ago. It's a beautiful rifle,smooth action and a MOA shooter.
I use IMR 7828 under 180gr spbt's. One shot kills on elk and whitetail.
I do have a brake on her; without it she is a bear to shoot.I have brought blood over my eye before with it.