• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weatherby Magnum action options

TexasRebel0190

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2009
Highlands, TX
I have a Mark V chambered in 270 WBY MAG I've never been happy with the accuracy of this rifle, although it has taken several deer in its career. I would like to turn this gun into a range toy with the side effect of making a good hunting rifle. What are my options I have to rebarrel this rifle to a different caliber or just a better performing overall weapon? Or I guess I can cut and run and try to sell it to fund a different based action project?
Your knowledge is appreciated in advance!

Re: Weatherby Magnum action options

firstly, what kind of accuracy is it actually delivering, and what is your accuracy goal?
secondly, what have you done to it to try to improve accuracy already?

The first two to three shots generally just about 1.25-1.5 inches (@100yds), after the fourth round all bests are off. I know this is enherant of the cartridge to super heat the barrel, but this thing will open up to 4"+ groups. Work done so far had one of my armorer buddies work the trigger over but as far as that nothing the. Stock isnt the greatest non free float pressure pads and flimsier than a wet noodle. I'd like to eventually go to a North Texas Precision class and this or the one I build will go to that so a 1" capable weapon would be needed.

Ill also add this isnt a new gun that I just bought, neither does it have sentimental value. My dad gave me it cause he hated it several years ago so she wont be missed in her origianal state either way.

I was also the owner of a MKV and I wasnt happy with the results. I've tried easily over 50 different handloads for it and was never able to get a group under 1.25 MOA. i am currently in the process of rebarrelling it to a 7mm. This is going to be my long range toy and deer gun too. i spent a long time thinking over what caliber i wanted and thats the conclusion I've come to

Was yours a magnum long action or the standard long action? I haven't started handloading for this rifle yet. Been using factory ammo so far. What calibers can I move to with this action and bolt face besides a 300 Wby Mag?

There is only one big Mk V (9-lug) action, just two different bolt faces. You could re-barrel yours with a good #4 or so contour barrel in .300 Wby Mag, or if you want a good cartridge to more easily get good accuracy with make it a .300 Win Mag. The .270 Wby, like the .257 Wby. was always quite finicky on ammo for good accuracy, both being some what overbore in capacity. If you remove the pressure pads in the forearm to free float the barrel you should really glass bed the receiver or accuracy may be worse. Of course McMillans makes a good stiff pretty much bullet proof stock for it, but a stock alone don't usually improve the accuracy that much. Good accuracy mostly comes from a good barrel and good ammo matched to it's preference.

Readily available factory match/hunting rounds would be nice until I get all the reloading dies and such for the caliber. The 300 WinMag is semi common in Texas which would be a plus. Didn't know McMillan made a stock for the Mark V I'll have to re-research them, thanks. I'm not going to bed in this chassis I dont think it would be worth the effort. Now for barrel I know Krieger makes a barrel for this action any others I should make note of?

McWhorter Rifles has been getting good results chambering in 6.5 Whetherby Mag. It's a 270 Wheatherby Mag necked down to 6.5. They are getting groups in the .3's with the Berger 140 grain VLDs, plus they still have enough "knock down" energy at 1000 yards to kill a deer. Get a #5 contour barrel (just a suggestion) and you will have a large enough barrel to shoot several consecutive shots at the range without overheating, but still not be "too" heavy to justify using as a hunting gun.

The MKV actions are great to build from. They hold a lot of pressure, have a 60 degree bolt throw, and have a great extractor. Just a good design in general.

With the magnum bolt face the possibilities are endless. My choice would be 7RSAUM, 7RM, or 7WSM. The 7mm ballistics are only second to the 338's but without the cost and recoil. I would pass on the wby mags all together, besides burning barrels and costing a fortune for brass they don't do anything another chambering can't do better.

Wouldn't be a bad idea a lot of pills out there for the 6.5 and I already have a stash of once fired brass, but absolutely no factory ammo available though. So much for a light budget, this is going to wind up being all custom parts any way I go. Still probaly cheaper than starting from scratch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quinten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So much for a light budget, this is going to wind up being all custom parts any way I go. Still probaly cheaper than starting from scratch. </div></div>

You can build a MKV very reasonably. There are still smiths out there that realize a few hours worth of work blueprinting an action and installing a barrel isn't worth $700+. You can find great smiths that will blueprint and do a barrel job for $300. A quality barrel will run you about $350 for non fluted, $450 for fluted. You can then get a accumark stock for about $250, remove the pressure point and skim bed it yourself. Sure it won't be a fancy $4000 build but the targets won't know it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The MKV actions are great to build from. They hold a lot of pressure, have a 60 degree bolt throw, and have a great extractor. Just a good design in general.

With the magnum bolt face the possibilities are endless. My choice would be 7RSAUM, 7RM, or 7WSM. The 7mm ballistics are only second to the 338's but without the cost and recoil. I would pass on the wby mags all together, besides burning barrels and costing a fortune for brass they don't do anything another chambering can't do better. </div></div>

Well that's good to hear, I like the "controls" and functionality of the action its just chamber forward I'm having a disagreement with. That and the fact 270Wby mag ammo might as well be made of gold and tied to a unicorn. Its scarse at best even online.
Would the 7WSM or RM be a better choice for projectile selection versus say the 300WSM. So when I do build a load up for this I'm not limited in my selection and versatility.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quinten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So much for a light budget, this is going to wind up being all custom parts any way I go. Still probaly cheaper than starting from scratch. </div></div>

You can build a MKV very reasonably. There are still smiths out there that realize a few hours worth of work blueprinting an action and installing a barrel isn't worth $700+. You can find great smiths that will blueprint and do a barrel job for $300. A quality barrel will run you about $350 for non fluted, $450 for fluted. You can then get a accumark stock for about $250, remove the pressure point and skim bed it yourself. Sure it won't be a fancy $4000 build but the targets won't know it. </div></div>

I'm a pretty dont always win races kinda guy so I'm not looking for a tacticool fancy toy. Something better than what I have and also something I want to shoot more often instead of sitting in the safe. Thanks for your help

The 7MM's out perform the 30 cals by a good bit. The 30 cals aren't bad but the 7MM's are better and have less recoil. As far as bullet selection there are plenty of great bullets available for both.

I think you would be well served with a build on your Weatherby action.

Judging from the quick internet searches it looks like 7WSM might be what I'm looking for. However there is more factory ammo available for the 7RM, but reloading the WSM might be more cost effectice due to the better efficiency of the case. Is there any truth to this or is the internet blowing smoke up my tail again?

Also need some direction on barrel manufacturers. Thanks

If you want efficiency the 7RSAUM is the ticket. It uses about 10gr less powder than the WSM and is only 40-50FPS behind. It also has a longer neck which gets you better throat life.

Rock Creek, Broughton, Bartlein, Brux and many others make great barrels.

Got emails out to a few companies hopefully they'll get back to me soon. May spring for the B&C A5 look alike just for kicks. Probably going with the 7wsm its available at the local gun store and at most places near where I hunt. I was thknking of having the end threaded for a brake to kill any extra kick or if they dont outlaw them in the near future a can.

Its one of the non desirable synthetic stocks and to my knowledge isnt a rare older model. I haven't ran the numbers to see exactly when she was made though.. I've tried selling this rifle at a few gun shops and the best I was offered was 3-400 and that was because it would be going toward a new rifle from them. I haven't checked that price in about a year.

Looks like I should be ok on fhe bolt face. Extractor may be a different issue. I'm pretty set on the 7 Wsm the 338 is an awedome projectile, but you gotta pay big to play that game. There was a guy on another forum wirh a 26" Brux barrel shooting sub 1/2 MOA which is probably what ill wind up with good mix of length and portability.

Why not go with a 7mm Rem Mag? You've already got a long action and won't have to mess with the bolt face. Just a simple barrel swap.

The 0.532" rim dia belted case was first used on the 375 H&H Magnum in 1912. The following cartridges are all based on that form factor:

257 Wby Mag
6.5 Rem Mag
264 Win Mag
270 Wby Mag
7x61 mm S&H
7mm Rem Mag
7mm Wby Mag
7mm STW
300 H&H
308 Norma Mag
300 Win Mag
300 Wby Mag
8mm Rem Mag
338 Win Mag
340 Wby Mag
350 Rem Mag
358 Norma Mag
416 Rem Mag
458 Win Mag
458 Lott

Plus a bunch of other wildcats.

The WSM series is based on the 404 Jeffries case, with a larger
0.535" rim dia.

i have been thinking about building off a mark5 too
what i would do:
get a mcillan a5 stck for it
get a barrel for a 300 winmag with something like medium palma to mtu contour
have action trued and barrel machined and chambered and parts put together by a competent smith
pic stolen off the web
IMG_1265.jpg

Mike thanks thought the bolt face would be good guess I missed it by a few thousandths. So guess its back to the 7RM to 300WM argument....to the research mobile!

Cobalt those are some good looking toys other than the kaleidoscope color stocks. I've got a wors out to a local smith about the work. He's busy so trying to talk him into doing for me.

I'm having one(270 Whby Mag.) made into a 7mm STW right now. I don't like the free bore that weatherby uses but still shoot a few, 300 Whby and 30-378 Whby.

I think you would have feeding problems trying to feed any of the short mags (WSM or RSUM) thru that action. The feed lips are cut for a long magnum cartridge.

Dick after learning the bolt face issue i will hsve with the WSM cartridge I think I'm gonna go with the 7mm Rem. Mag. Still haven't heard back from my smith so I'm in limbo on the project.