• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Weaver Grand Slam

willmccullough

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2009
I was given a new rifle as a gift and it came with a Weaver Duplex Dot Grand Slam 6-20x40. Does anyone have any experience with this scope? If so, what are your thoughts? I haven't had a chance to take it out to the range yet, but I want to make sure this is the scope I'm going to keep.

Re: Weaver Grand Slam

I shoot with a coulpe of guys that use them on top of Variable Garntry Mounts. They say the glass good enough they just don't have the elevation for LR shooting. I'm not sure if you could still get a 1000y with a 20 moa base or not. These guy are the guys that came up with the mount and it's a awsome mount if you don't want to buy the high-end scope with all that elevation built in. I got one on mt LRT the mount is totally repeatable and lets me shot a Zeiss Conquest to 1000y.

So I guess with the Weaver scope I would give some thought and see what bases are out there if you plan on shooting it past its limits. I think the glass is good not the best but good enough for 1k shooting.

Ken

Re: Weaver Grand Slam

VERY INTERESTING!!!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_12_52/ai_n16808615/

Excerpt:
At a recent sniper match a fellow competitor and Alabama Police Captain advised me to look at a new scope mount produced by Christopher Self of Selma, Alabama. It was many months before it arrived, but when it did, I was truly amazed at the innovation of this master machinist and rifle enthusiast.

It seems he and other shooters he knew had grown tired of dialing the turrets on their rifles for distance. They wanted a mount with presets for several distances. Mr. Self began working on the problem ... or was it opportunity? Several prototypes later, the mount that found its way to my door is the culmination of many tests by several shooters.

The bottom of the mount is screwed to the rifle, such as my Remington 700, in the normal fashion. The gantry is then put in position under spring tension with the use of a screw and wing nut and then pinned in place.

Precision Come-Ups

Now this is where it gets interesting. The little knob on the left side of the mount can be moved to 10 preset distances, noted by the white and red dots. Any distances can be preset. The Remington 700 I used for this test is a 6mm Remington. I first took it to the range and chronographed the loads I happened to have on hand. With bullet weight, ballistic coefficient, temperature, barometric pressure, and muzzle velocity in tow, I entered the data into my Exbal software.

Very interesting...