• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Weaver...Picatinny Question

SAATG

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Am I correct in my thinking that a Picatinny mount will not work in a Weaver base but a Weaver mount will work in a Picatinny base?

Re: Weaver...Pictanny Question

Correct, picatinny rings will not fit into the smaller grooves of the weaver base. As a result though weaver rings will fit into the larger grooves of a picatinny base.

does the looser fit of the weaver rings into a Picatinny rail result in losing truly exact re-mounting the scope if you remove it and thus causing the scope to be "off" from the original sight-in?

If you mount one ring to the front of the slot and the other to the rear of the slot you can greatly minimize the amount of slop present in the narrower weaver style. I use the burris sig zees mostly and occasionally remove and remount scopes for whatever reason, and remembering to use the same torque values on the cross bolts more often than not results in my zero remaining close, not exact, but close.

You shouldn't mount one rear pushed to the front of a lug and the other pushed to the rear. Both rings should be pushed tight to the forward lug to hold it under recoil.

If you mount both rings tight forward and every time you remount it you push it forward it will return to zero as well as if it were picatinny rings since they would be going back to the same place every time. Return to zero ability has to do more with the quality of the rings and base than the type. Even picatinny rings have the slightest slop in a picatinny rail, this is why you should slide them tight forward aswell.