• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Weaver rings on Picatinny rail

Simplejack

Private
Minuteman
I want to get the Weaver Four Hole Skeleton Rings to mount on my Savage FV-SR Picatinny rail and was wondering how secure these rings will be compared to rings that are made for Picatinny rails?
I know they will fit, but are they just as secure and durable as having Picatinny rings?

I know there is other rings out there, but I really like the look of these rings for my Savage.

There are certainly more qualified people on here to answer this, but from what I saw those are picitinny spec rings so you should have no problems. Savage's website doesn't give the rail specs that I could find, but from what I understand picitinny spec is picitinny spec... So you should be fine, plus the rifle you are referencing is a 22 lr which has very little recoil.

I hope I understood your question, if I didn't answer it please forgive me. Good Luck!!

SteveG66

I've used the same Weaver rings you are after on my picitinny rail on my 308 rifle with no issues. I think you will be good to go with using them on your rifle.

I want to get the Weaver Four Hole Skeleton Rings to mount on my Savage FV-SR Picatinny rail and was wondering how secure these rings will be compared to rings that are made for Picatinny rails?
I know they will fit, but are they just as secure and durable as having Picatinny rings?

I know there is other rings out there, but I really like the look of these rings for my Savage.

Weaver rings will fit on a picatinny rail but it will be a sloppy fit... Picantinny rings will not fit a weaver rail.

Shove them all the way forward in the slot, torque them down, and you will never know the difference between the weaver and picatinny crossbar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weaver rings will fit on a picatinny rail but it will be a sloppy fit... Picantinny rings will not fit a weaver rail.

The difference between the Picatinny and Weaver rail specs has to do with the spacing and width of the slots.
The rails are the same dimensions otherwise.

The difference between the Picatinny and Weaver rail specs has to do with the spacing and width of the slots.
The rails are the same dimensions otherwise.

weaver rings on a pic rail will be a sloppy fit but for a shotgun with slugs or buckshot probably is okay but not okay for a precision rifle

Seriously? The only difference is the thickness of the crossbolt on the ring and the width of the slot on the rail.... Neither of which plays any role in "precision" after being torqued down. The picatinny crossbolt fits loosely in the picatinny slot. The weaver crossbolt fits looser than the picatinny, but that doesn't mean a damn thing after the crossbolt is torqued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is my understanding that a weaver mount will fit fine on a Picatinny rail, however one cannot attach a picatinny mount to a weaver rail.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10724/learn/Picatinny_Rails__Weaver_Rails__What_s_The_Difference_

But here is a summary if you don't feel like reading the entire article or linking to the page...

"Boiled down, it means that accessories designed for a Weaver system will, in most cases, fit on a “Picatinny” system. The reverse, however, is probably not the case. Due to the larger recoil groove, “Picatinny” accessories will not fit a Weaver system. There are, of course, exceptions to every rule, but for a good rule-of-thumb, “Picatinny” won’t fit Weaver, but Weaver will fit “Picatinny”."

Last edited:
I just noticed the other day that Weaver is making their 6 hole tacticle rings with a picitinny cross bolt. I picked a set up from Amazon and received them today, they are really nice rings. They might not be as fancy as the premier scope ring brands, but they aren't far off in quality if any. I'd gladly recommend these rings to anyone that isn't in the market for $100+ scope rings. In all honesty I probably won't spend the extra coin anymore. Just my $.02.