• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 Reviewed

slothlacrosse

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2010
CENTCOM
Scopes I've owned in the past have been Leupolds (a lot) and Sightron SIII (two), but I was looking for a new scope for a 308 (that would later become my STR308).

I'm always weary of anything that says "Tactical" because it usually isn't, but I know people who bought Weaver scopes (in the past and recently) and love them.

The packaging... it comes in a glossy black box that says "TACTICAL." I'd prefer a matte finish (something a little more inconspicuous and maybe some jute twine or burlap), but other than that it's a nice box.

0414001505a.jpg

0414001505.jpg

It has a nice even matte finish with no markings other than a matte gray "Weaver" on the side parallax and white markings on the turrets.

0414001605.jpg

The first thing that caught me off guard was the turrets. There a nice size and shape but you they're locked in place. You have to pull out on the turrets to start spinning data. It didn't mention anything about that on their website or any other website. It caught me off guard, but I think it's a nice feature.

0414001546.jpg

^LOCKED^

0414001546a.jpg

^UNLOCKED^

If you have to slide the scales on your turrets, you simply leave them in the locked position and twist the top off, rezero, put the top back on, and you're done! I like the idea of not having 3 little screws that always seem to get lost.

0414001547a.jpg

LOOK MOM, NO TOOLS!!!

The turrets have soft clicks but there's more than enough enough resistance that you know when you've made an adjustment. There is not much of an audible click, but they are tacticle enough that it's not needed. I put on a pair of shooting gloves and could still feel the turrets "snap" into position with each click.

The side parallax works as it should. I don't pay much attention to the markings. I just keep spinning until I get a clear sight picture, but the knob itself is marked in close increments below 100 yards then jumps in 100 yard increments to 400 yards and then infinity. Not a big deal, but something I thought was a little strange.

0414001546b.jpg

The optics are bright and clear to the edges. It was in the middle of the day so I can't comment on its low light performance (not yet). I'll give it an edge on an SIII 3.5-10x44 and a Mark 4 10x40. It seems logical that a 50mm would be brighter than a 40mm or a 44mm but it also costs less than these two scopes (NcStar 6-24x50 that costs A LOT less and probably isn't 1% of the scope that my VX-III is).

Oh, and the scope has about a mile of eye relief (especially at 3x). I almost ran out of room on a Leupold Mark 4 one piece mount.

The FFP recticle is barely readable at 3x (but it would be easy to take quick 5 and 10 mil measurements as the stadia are fairly thick). At 15x the crosshair would cover a lot of a target, but it's just about perfect at 10-12x.

0414001556.jpg

3x

0414001556b.jpg

10x

0414001556a.jpg

15x

They say the scope has 60 MOA of adjustment

*edit: this particular scope has 59.75 MOA of elevation adjustment. WHERE'S MY RECIEPT?!?! I'm not too concerned about windage; that's what hold overs are for, but I can look into the issue if someone wants to know.

For $700 I'm impressed so far, but time will tell the tale! It didn't come with any collateral equipment like a sunshade or flip-up caps, but I hate sunshades and factory flip-up caps are usually not worth keeping (it's not a big deal to me, but it might be to you).

url]

I liked the 3-15x50 so much that I bought a 4-20x50 for my IBA 300WM

Re: Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 Reviewed

Looks like a decent scope..... Would be MUCH better if the Reticle and Adjustments match. When will they learn. Post up when you get a chance to run it for a while.

BTW How much adjustment does the 5-20X have?

Why is it so hard for many manufacturers to understand that the reticle should match the adjustments?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why is it so hard for many manufacturers to understand that the reticle should match the adjustments?

</div></div>
AGREED!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why is it so hard for many manufacturers to understand that the reticle should match the adjustments? </div></div>
Because for years MOA was the standard for turrets and they're slow to change. Lots of people, inluding military and law enforcement snipers, used mil reticles with MOA turrets for years without complaining. It works fine and most shooters probably never thought about matching the reticle's angular measurement to the turrets.

In hindsight, matching reticles to turrets makes a lot of sense. But it never occurred to me until I started reading about it maybe a couple years ago. Then again, I'm probably not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Nice scope write up, by the way.

I bought one of these a couple months ago but haven't shot it yet. That changes today. I will be putting it on a 308 and a 338LM. I traded down from a nightforce but for the price I am still very impressed so far

The turret zero-setting feature is nice, but the locking turrets would drive me nuts. Besides how often do you reset a zero anyway? The two things that would keep me from really considering this scope are the mismatch between turrets and reticle (+1 Trovan) and if this model is anything like a similar Weaver I had a look through, tunneling below 5X.

I heard that they are coming out with this model with Mil turrets next year.

This Weaver scope is a solid item for the price.

As far as the mis match, 1 mil equates to 3.438(rounded up) moa, using a reticle for hold over at shorter ranges (inside 800m) rounding up further to 3.5 has proven effective enough for me to register first round shots on target. If I know my come up is 17 moa, I can chose to simply hold 4 mils on the reticle and dial 3 moa on the turret, or use the reticle and hold just a touch above 4.75 mil. Not ideal, I guess it's called making do.

There is a reason for mil reticle and moa turrets.

You use the mil reticle for estimating distance, holdovers etc. Since it is EXACTLY 1 in a 1000 mil beats moa here.

The moa turret is because 1moa equals 1" (approx). So measure how far off you are in inches and move over that many moa.

So they were offering the "best of both worlds".

Of course what was missing is matching reticle and turret advantage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrapperSGD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard that they are coming out with this model with Mil turrets next year. </div></div>

Hope so, shouldn't be too hard to do as they already have a FFP mil/mil scope in their 3-10x. Its just one more option for me when I upgrade my glass next year. Just would be nice if they put a illuminated reticle in that too, nice option just in case.

Flyingbullseye