• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Weaver Tactical 4-20X50 Review

wareagle700

Minuteman
Jan 5, 2010
SE Georgia
Ive been looking for a new scope for a .260 I am putting together and wanted something quality without spending tons of money. The Weaver Tactical 4-20X50 FFP caught my eye by having just what I wanted on my scope.
• First focal plane reticle
• Turret adjustments
• Waterproof / fogproof / shockproof
• Side focus parallax adjustment
• Reset-to-zero turrets
• One-piece construction
• 30mm tubes
• Mil Dot reticle

DSCN0087.jpg

My first impressions were that this scope was definately worth the money. The scope is very solid and everything adjusts smoothly. The windage and elevation adjustments are real positive and snap down securely so nothing gets bumped off. The glass is also very clear(better than some others in its price range). Also, Weaver does not list this but it has 60 MOA of elevation and windage

DSCN0076.jpg

DSCN0080.jpg

DSCN0083.jpg

From the range:
I set up a cardboard box at 100 yards and drew out a <span style="font-weight: bold">Z</span> made up of 9 dots approximately 20" tall. The gun was my Remington 700 .308. I kept my crosshairs on the center dont and made the necessary adjustments to hit all 9 dots. The scope tracked very well and all shots were within 1" of the center of the dot. I returned to zero and fired 5 more shots which were all dead on. The mil-dots were accurate at all levels of magnification and the parallax was very easy to adjust.
For a scope in the 500-1000 range this seems like a great great choice especially being FFP.
DSCN0077.jpg

DSCN0074.jpg

Re: Weaver Tactical 4-20X50 Review

Charlie nice review.....what kind of warranty do they have? I ask because if its a good one maybe you can do a drop test, put it in your kitchen sink in cold then hot water etc etc. Then test how usable it is. It seems like Weaver has stepped up some with their new line.........but I think those push down, pull up knobs would destroy me under pressure and I don't know with practice and my big mitts I could operate them without breaking cheek weld. Derek

Limited lifetime warranty. I dont think Ill be trying it out though. haha. The knobs will take some getting used to but they are not a big deal for me as this rifle will be used for target/hunting/range use, nothing competitive for now. For the money I spent, I feel like I got a solid scope.

Just to be curious, what other glass have you compared the Weaver with? I've always been impressed with Weaver glass, especially on the Target and Grand Slam models, and it would be interesting to see if the tactical glass is as good (or better) than the Grand Slam.

I wish they would come out with a Mill/Mill varient and illumination the scopes seem realy good for the price. also how is the cross hair some said they were fairly thick?

Yeah, it is ATK now. Not sure that is good though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ATK = crap </div></div>

While that may be true, the 4-20X50 is a very nice scope on its own.

Until they go mil/mil or moa/moa, they are not a serious contender in the sub $1000 FFP scope market IMHO.

A few months ago I was curious about this scope (tactical 4x20 50mm), so I sent Weaver an email. They responded to my email and even solicited questions about what I was looking for in an optic. I explained to them that Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA was one of the primary feature besids FFP that sells a scope to me. I can live with decent (not stellar) glass, as long as the scope is robust, tracks well, and is Mil/Mil FFP. To my suprise the folks at Weaver told me to be patient. Apparently it's in the works. They also said that they had been working closely with the U.S. Army and had taken a lot of clues from them when they started this project.

I'm very curious to see what they will offer on this line of optics next. They certainly have their work cut out for them. I have seen first hand the new Super Sniper 3x9 FFP and the 10X HD, as well as the Vortex Viper 5x20. I was seriously impressed by all, and especialy by the SS 10XHD (for the money it is one kick ass peice of glass). It seems that scope manufacturers are finaly figuring out that it pays to listen to the guys that shoot. I welcome another entry to the market, and I applaud Weaver for giving it a shot. If they can keep the price down and correct a few flaws in this new offering I think they will have a great product.

Reactions: Bender

Just out of curiousity where is this Weaver made? Should say on the bottom....and I'm hoping Japan as that would indicate at least a very good possibilty of good glass.Anyone compare them to say,Leupold Mk4 or Bushnell 4200/6500?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exhogflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just out of curiousity where is this Weaver made? Should say on the bottom....and I'm hoping Japan as that would indicate at least a very good possibilty of good glass.Anyone compare them to say,Leupold Mk4 or Bushnell 4200/6500? </div></div>

My Weaver Tactical 4-20x50 says made in Japan. I think the glass is on a par with the Mark 4's and better than the Bushy 6500 2.5-16x44 I had. The Bushy was a little disappointing as far as optics went.

ring height you mounted this in? Any picts thru the scope? Would like to see the reticle sizes on the min, mid and max powers if you could please. Link to your purchase source? Thanks for sharing this, wish I would have seen it before I committed to a Bush 4200 6-24....4-20 seems about perfect to me for 7.62 out to 1k

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maxpower</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ring height you mounted this in? Any picts thru the scope? Would like to see the reticle sizes on the min, mid and max powers if you could please. Link to your purchase source? Thanks for sharing this, wish I would have seen it before I committed to a Bush 4200 6-24....4-20 seems about perfect to me for 7.62 out to 1k </div></div>

Ill try and do it today. The rifle I put it on was just for testing so im not sure about the ring height yet. They are medium rings right now though. I got the scope from midway. That bushnell you have is just fine also, I love mine.
Also, made in Japan.

whats the mil size determined from? the Bushnell is set for 12 IIRC...(?)

edit- no not the Weaver, the bushnell4200 x 50mm... sorry for the lack of clarity lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maxpower</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats the mil size determined from? the Bushnell is set for 12 IIRC...(?)

edit- no not the Weaver, the bushnell4200 x 50mm... sorry for the lack of clarity lol</div></div>

Bushnell 4200 6-24x50 Tactical is 1 mil at 12x and 1/2 mil at 24x. I like this method. Some of the mfgs that do wierd things like 1 mil at 14x and ??? at max power (24x) just baffles as to why (e.g., Vortex).

Might have to check out this Weaver...

not to hijack but I find it odd that Bushnell makes a reticle for 10x in their 3200 line tactical scope but change to 12x baseline measurements in the 4200 line.... my last scope was 10x baseline as well but I look forward to the ease of calculations w/ this arrangement. Anyone have any idea what it runs in the 6500 line?

Nice review, thanks for taking the time to share the info. I have a Weaver Grand Slam Tactical Rifle Scope 10x 40mm Mil-Dot Reticle Matte. I am pleased with it for what it cost. The glass seems "better" that the Bushnell 10x 3200 series that I have.

116205.jpg

I may pic up a 4-20x50 Weaver tatical down the road. Looks like a good scope for the $$$.

how much did u actually have to pay for it if i may ask ....i thank ive seen msrp right around 1k but im not sure , but thanks for the help and good review chaz

Good to find the windage adjustment....bit bad to have the weaver sight with no info on it....60 is enough for me
smile.gif
only need 25 to get to 1000 yrds

Ohh and does anybody know the weight of the 4-20 tactile.....Looks like a good buy....will need another scope soon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">27 oz. </div></div>

mmmm might not use it on my light rig then......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A few months ago I was curious about this scope (tactical 4x20 50mm), so I sent Weaver an email. They responded to my email and even solicited questions about what I was looking for in an optic. I explained to them that Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA was one of the primary feature besids FFP that sells a scope to me. I can live with decent (not stellar) glass, as long as the scope is robust, tracks well, and is Mil/Mil FFP. To my suprise the folks at Weaver told me to be patient. Apparently it's in the works. They also said that they had been working closely with the U.S. Army and had taken a lot of clues from them when they started this project.

I'm very curious to see what they will offer on this line of optics next. They certainly have their work cut out for them. I have seen first hand the new Super Sniper 3x9 FFP and the 10X HD, as well as the Vortex Viper 5x20. I was seriously impressed by all, and especialy by the SS 10XHD (for the money it is one kick ass peice of glass). It seems that scope manufacturers are finaly figuring out that it pays to listen to the guys that shoot. I welcome another entry to the market, and I applaud Weaver for giving it a shot. If they can keep the price down and correct a few flaws in this new offering I think they will have a great product. </div></div>
FYI- I just got this email back from Weaver, when I asked them about illuminated reticles or mil/mil options in development:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello, not at this time.
Have not seen this available for 2011.

Kevin Habhegger
ATK Technical Services </div></div>

It's disappointing, but I'm still going to pick up a 3-15x50 for my M1A/M21 build.

I read the post that AK equals "Crap"

Not an arguement but I never heard anything bad about the company before. What did I miss?

Dont they own other companies that make some great stuff? Dont they own Eagle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read the post that AK equals "Crap"

Not an arguement but I never heard anything bad about the company before. What did I miss?

Dont they own other companies that make some great stuff? Dont they own Eagle?</div></div>
Eagle Industries
Blackhawk
Weaver Optics
Federal Ammunition
CCI/Speer Ammunition
RCBS

...and then there's all the military munitions they develop, test and produce.

To each their own, but IMO, they're far from crap. I think they have outstanding products. As evidenced by the list, they obviously know what they're doing.

Old thread but I have four of these of various age and before the Weaver badging they were Blackhawk. Thousands of rounds and no issues.

Sold mine about 5 years after this review was posted. So about 3 years ago. Pretty nice but slightly dated piece of equipment. I still run one of the 2-10x36.

They have locking turrets on the 5-20. My only complaint about Weaver is their reticle choice. My 6-30 has toolless zeroing but needs a wrench for the zerostop. I’m a poor reviewer on glass quality, but it looks amazing to me! Gets a touch dark at 30x but still very useful with a generous eye box.