• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Weaver Tactical Grand Slam Rifle Scope 3-10x 40mm repair

huntersedge89

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2010
NE WI
I have a Weaver Tactical Grand Slam Rifle Scope 3-10x 40mm scope, which is one of the scopes only offered by midway. A few months ago I was at the range shooting and a friend knocked over the rifle with the scope on it. After that it was way off target. So I removed the scope from the mount (ADM-Recon) and remounted it and tried to re-zero the rifle. I was unable to re-zero it, it was shooting over a foot high with the elevation as low as possible. Anyways I sent it into weaver to see if they would repair/replace it and they said the tube was bent which is not covered by warranty and that they could not repair it. They did however offer me a repaired scope for ~$180, but it was a different model with very different features. In my opinion I am not very impressed with the durability of this scope from taking a short drop. I wouldn't expect it to be off by a few feet after taking a short drop, but maybe I am expecting too much from this scope. Whats your guys opinion on this? anyone have any ideas on how to get this thing fixed or I am I pretty much out of luck. I also contacted Midway since it is a model they only sell, but they said they couldn't do anything (which is what I expected to hear from them).

Last edited:
It's all in how it lands.
With enough force (weight and drop height) and a drop right on the objective bell, I could see it happening.
I'd check the mount, too... I have a few ADM Recons and they look like they could bend forward of the QD clamps.

Joe

Damm that must have hit the ground HARD. I had one of those 3-10s and it seemed VERY beefy.

Damm that must have hit the ground HARD. I had one of those 3-10s and it seemed VERY beefy.

It couldn't have been that hard it was on a shooting bench, probably about 3-1/2 ft high and just barely got knocked off, not like some one kicked it off. I thought it seemed pretty well built too until this happened.

I've seen plenty of scopes go through much harder use than this took in test videos and keep on ticking... I wouldn't purposely abuse any of my gear ever, but I would expect it to hold up better than this from a short drop.

My 700 with Bushnell Elite Tact. was knocked off a bench about the same height, didn't lose zero and no readjustment needed. You've apparently got a throw-back from factory, I'd pretty much demand a repair/refund as they should stand by their product...

Bushnell 4200 Elite 3-12X FFP Mil / Mil - YouTube

Yeah I was pretty disappointed in their customer service, they said they couldn't even repair it at all. I have 5-6 weaver scopes and have been happy with them and their customer service in the past, but maybe I will stick to Vortex, Bushnell or another manufacturer in the future.

I've had my 'hunting' Weaver GS fall and not have that issue. If it's a tactical it should not have that issue at all. A fancy reticle doesn't necessarily make it a 'useable' tactical scope.

I think it's as you say, this just isn't the quality they portray it to be.

Why isn't your friend replacing the scope? If my friend knocked my rifle off a bench and damaged something, they would be financially responsible for it..

That being said, weaver should take care if it for you. Did it hit concrete?

Its a $300 scope that negligence on the part of your friend caused to get damaged.

Your friend should buy you a new scope. Maybe a Vortex, since their warranty covers when rifles fall 3.5ft onto the optic?

Its a Weaver...not a NF or S&B or even a Mk4...both in terms of quality and warranty. You get what you pay for.

My experience with that model, while they do fill a nice niche for a budget-minded, mil/mil, variable power optic, is that they don't track all that well and aren't terribly durable. Dialing adjustments with it on the couple I have used have resulted in them "wandering" a fair amount (i.e. - I had one on a .25-06 that I routinely took from a 100yd zero out to 600yds...regularly would have to over- or under-correct to get back on zero at 100yds after dialing up and down. Never more than 0.3mils or so, but enough to know that the scope isn't made all that well). As for durability, a friend of mine used one for a season on his .300WSM A-bolt. It did fine zeroing at the range, shooting around 20-25 rounds after zeroing just playing with the scope's adjustments, etc., but it took a fall when he had it out hunting (rifle was sitting upright on its but leaning against a tree, fell over, hit the optic and that as they say...was that.) I don't recall if his tube got bent or if it was something else "not repairable" but otherwise NOT covered under the factory warranty. He dumped the Weaver needless to say and picked up a Vortex PST 2.5-10x44 MRAD.

Yeah I know its not a $1,000+ scope, but it isn't cheap tasco either. I would have expected it to hold up better than this for what they cost and from the reviews I've seen on them. I have Nikon's and other scopes in this price range that have been knocked over with no damage. Rifles get knocked over fairly often, like the experience your friend had while hunting. Maybe I am wrong for thinking this, but it seems like most scopes in this price range by good manufactures can take a short drop and at least still be serviceable afterwards. I believe a Vortex in this price range won't have broke and left me with a $300-$400 paper weight and correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Vortex would have replaced it if it did break from a short fall. Looks like I may not be buying Weavers in the near future...