• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Weaver vs. Vortex?? Opinions?

mattyferocious

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2012
South Carolina Midlands
I am looking at good bang for your buck scopes for my 1st .308. I am trying to decide between a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 and a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50. Im not quite ready to drop the money on the Nightforce/Leupold that i would really want. Any opinions or other scope suggestions are welcome as i am new to the precision shooting field.

Re: Weaver vs. Vortex?? Opinions?

Can't comment on the Weaver but I really like my Viper. Glass is clear, I'd buy again.

I have had two bad experiences with vortex scopes. 1 was a crossfire and the other a viper.

Had the weaver, It was a great scope for the money, but the locking turrets just didn't do it for me.
Other than that it was great, took off my USO and put on the weaver and the dope was exactly the same, so it tracked perfectly, and the glass was exceptional for the price. I probably would still have it, on a .22 or something if I didn't trade it for the 5-20 SS. Another option would be a ST-10 USO, a little more but a really, really good scope.

great thread. looking forward to it. this is exactly where im at. having a hard time choosing between the weaver tactical 3-15x or the vortex pst 4-16x.

Hi Speed: Curious re: Viper or Viper PST -- two quite different animals.

I've been quite pleased with my Viper PST (will step up, probably to a Razor at some point -- but really just as a luxury). The PST does everything I need it to for tactical style comps and such, especially in the tracking department. No S&B when it comes to glass quality obviously, but perfectly adequate for banging steel out to 1000+.

Don't have any first-hand experience with the Weaver, but not sure that I'm crazy about their reticle options.

I have been shooting a Weaver for about a year.I actually have two one illuminated and the other not. I do prefer the illuminated over the standard because of the mil turrents and the 1/2 mil hash marked reticle. I do wish Weaver would have placed a 1/2 hash between the crosshair and one mil because a 1/2 mil hold for wind is quite useful. The glass in both is excellent for the price range and they track perfectly.

That being said I am in the market for some new glass. I feel for the type of matches I shoot in I could use more magnification, 20x at least. I will probably purchase a Vortex Razor or USO. They can't even be compared to a Weaver due to the price difference alone. I will definately keep one of the Weavers.

I've got the 4-16 FFP PST Viper mil/mil I love it!! The guys at Vortex are excellent too. I can't comment on the Weaver but the Vortex is very worth the money. I like the zero stops, the illuminated reticles as well as the .2 mil divisions on the ends of the scales. These make it much easier when ranging as the estimation is less prone to error.

RAZOR. I judge a company by it's weakest link. Their glass is pretty good if not great. Their customer service is on point. Their QC is not up to my standards as a consumer. There are too many other manufacturers out there, for me to risk my money with them. THIS STATEMENT IS MY OPINION AND STRICTLY BASED ON MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH THEM.

Have the weaver and looked through the PST. The PST has a better reticle but that's it in my opinion. The weavers glass is better, has much more elevation and costs less. Put the PST reticle in the weaver it would have no competition.

Flyingbullseye

i think the biggest hurdle to jump in a weaver vs vortex thread is that more people own a vortex than the weaver tactical. also i think vortex has always geared their scopes to the tactical market while weaver is just stepping into it now with their new weaver tactical line. having said that i have heard that both glass and illumination on the weaver beats out the pst. so it comes down to what turret features are important to you. the weaver has parallax adjustment as well where as the pst does not. keep in mind i own neither so all of this is only based on what i have read here in this forum. so take it for what its worth (not much).

Reactions: Accuracy seeker

The weaver glass is a little better, it all comes down to what kind of turrets you want, zero stop or locking turrets.

I own the weaver 3-15x50 with emdr reticle. I love it and it's the best reticle I've ever used. If you go weaver, be sure to get the emdr reticle.

i'd go with the vortex, i shoot a viper pst 4-16 and i've sold a lot of them, nothing but good feedback. great scopes, very feature rich, decent glass, great scopes

I've sold a lot more Vortex PST than Weaver, but one reason is I don't get very good pricing on the Weaver.

IMO, the Weaver is a $1200 scope selling in the $700's

The PST has nicer features and is well thought out and is a lot of bang for the buck, but intrinsically, it's no match for the Weaver Tactical, IMO.

The 6-24 PST has no equal in the marketplace. Until Weaver decides to build a 24x FFP mil/mil scope, that is.

Both scopes are winners, but in a head to head in an arm wrasslin' match, Weaver wins this one, IMO

Scott

The Vortex optics are definitely tough to beat for the money. Great customer service as well (and nice stocking caps!).

I have a PST 6-24x50ffp and for the price its a great scope. Very nice glass and a clean, sharp reticle. Plus the VIP warranty isn't too bad either

I can't speak for the Weaver as I have yet to see one. I haven't tried a Vortex PST but I did have a Razor 5-20, actually I had two of them. I bought a used one from a member here and after using it for about a month the reticle became canted. I sent it in to Vortex and they replaced it with a new scope. Then Vortex came out with an improved eye piece for the Razor and I sent it in for the free upgrade, which I thought was awesome of Vortex to upgrade the scopes for free. Then I sold the Razor to another member here. When he got the scope he went to screw the sunshade on, I had never used the sunshade, and the whole objective turned with the sunshade! I'm sure that Vortex took care of the problem for him because their customer service is top notch. However, two major problems like that out of what is their top of the line scope has me a little worried.

Have no experience, and do not know anyone, who has used the Weaver warranty. But there is no getting around the fact the Vortex warranty is unbeatable. They set the bar and it was one of many factors that enabled them to make a huge splash in the sporting optics market.

As for the Razor objective issue above, normally that type of issue happens when you unscrew a tight sunshade, not when you screw on a sunshade, as they both tighten the same way. Sounds like the objective sealing ring was loose to begin with, or previously loosened.

Such is rare with the Razor scope, that's for sure

I used Weaver/ ATK customer service for new turret o-rings. I did not call, but emailed. Emailed Monday, ATK responded Tue and a UPS box arrived on Friday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used Weaver/ ATK customer service for new turret o-rings. I did not call, but emailed. Emailed Monday, ATK responded Tue and a UPS box arrived on Friday. </div></div>

Nice. Thanks for sharing that

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattyferocious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking at good bang for your buck scopes for my 1st .308. I am trying to decide between a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 and a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50. Im not quite ready to drop the money on the Nightforce/Leupold that i would really want. Any opinions or other scope suggestions are welcome as i am new to the precision shooting field. </div></div>

Congrats on your first .308. You picked two great scopes to consider. Both are illuminated, mil/mil and similar magnification ranges.

Vortex PST 4-16x50, <span style="font-weight: bold">$899.95</span>
http://swfa.com/Vortex-Viper-PST-Rifle-Scopes-C2860.aspx (some image issues on this page please excuse until we can get them fixed)

Weaver Tactical 3-15x50, <span style="font-weight: bold">$699.95</span>
http://swfa.com/Weaver-Tactical-Rifle-Scopes-C1815.aspx

This might come down to which one you can actually get as most mil/mil PST scopes are in short supply. The fact that the Weaver is $200. less makes it very attractive.

I was in the same situation and decided to go with the weaver because:

1. It was readily available (I bought it used though, if you're waiting for a used one its a long wait, I waited about a month to get one).

2. It has a lower bottom magnification, which is important to me as I hope to use this scope hunting as well as target shooting, which gets me to point 3

3. It has locking target turrets, which means I can hunt with it and not have to worry about my windage or elevation turrets being moved, while still allowing me to make quick adjustments on the fly (although it doesn't come with zero stop turrets, I think I'll manage without it)

4. It was cheaper, used made it even cheaper

5. I was worried as everyone else about the warranty, even more so since I bought it used, but have read online in several cases where people actually contacted weaver about these scopes and found out the warranty, at least for the EMDR version, is fully transferable, no receipt required

6. I have never read about any problems with the scope (except for one obscure case where someone claimed that he saw 2 of these weaver scopes fail at the same time, but then the post mysteriously vanished)

The only thing that was keeping me from buying the Weaver at first was the lack of accessories, the Viper PST comes with a sun shade and caps, the Weaver only comes with a scope. I still came out on top though if I bought the accessories though. I hope my long list of reasons I bought the Weaver over the Vortex helps you in your decision.

there web site states that the warranty is only for the original purchaser and with a copy of the orginal receipt. if its transferable they need to update there website.

so how does the weaver reset to zero function work?

Just thought I should add that the Burris MTAC is sfp and only has 50 MOA of adjustment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The PST has nicer features and is well thought out and is a lot of bang for the buck, but intrinsically, it's no match for the Weaver Tactical, IMO.

Both scopes are winners, but in a head to head in an arm wrasslin' match, Weaver wins this one, IMO

Scott</div></div>

Scott,

What led you to this conclusion, specifically? I have considered the Weaver a few times but I always get hung up on the reticle.

Can anyone give me a reasonable explanation for the missing hash marks within the first mil?

I have a question about the weaver, how many mils is it per revolution for the turrets?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a question about the weaver, how many mils is it per revolution for the turrets? </div></div>

5 mils per rev.

mine has 31 mils of adjustment if I remember correctly.

I like my viper PST a lot. I'd recommend it to anyone in the market for a scope.