• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

weight of an WOA AR-15 in .223

strider09

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2009
wichita KS.
Does anyone have an AR-15 in 223 with the upper made from WOA? what is the weight? I am mostly currious about the 20" barrel types but information on any length would be useful. Thanx.

Re: weight of an WOA AR-15 in .223

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strider09</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have an AR-15 in 223 with the upper made from WOA? what is the weight? I am mostly currious about the 20" barrel types but information on any length would be useful. Thanx. </div></div>

hummmmm WOA ??

Washington Officials Association ???

Web Oriented Architecture ???

Wisconsin Optometric Association ???

Western Orthopaedic Association ??

World Olympians Association ???

Westsail Owners Association ???

Warrant Officer Association ???

Women Of Action ???

World Overpopulation Awareness ???

Wacken Open Air ???

come on man, not everyone is familiar with all the acronyms, abbreviations, and nonsense.

My 20" SDM barrel should be delivered this week, once I get it and put the upper together I'll weight it for you.

Joe

Ive got a 24" I weigh it when I get home, its my PDog shooting gun and its hell on those little bastards! Very good uppper!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strider09</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have an AR-15 in 223 with the upper made from WOA? what is the weight? I am mostly currious about the 20" barrel types but information on any length would be useful. Thanx. </div></div>

I had a White Oak Precision AR in service rifle configuration with the PacNor 1:6.5" 3-groove barrel, pinned sights and floated barrel. I had lead under the front handguards, but no a whole lot (about 3" long) that I RTV'd in place once I found where it complemented the #6 shot/RTV mix in the buttstock (again, not enough to fill). I ended up with a 14.5# rifle that balanced well in offhand and had enough mass to minimize movement in the rapids. I was in better shape then, and spent several days tinkering to find where everything worked just right. Actually I ended up compromising a little on the weight to make it a bit more manageable in offhand yet still not move alot in rapids.

It's all personal. As long as the mods aren't external, you can do alot of fine tuning and still be in CMP/NRA regs for Service Rifle.

ETA - I think the rifle without lead was about 10#.

Your best bet is to call Mr. Hollinger and tell him what you have in mind and he can tell you what it will weigh....

I have asked once before I ordered, I was told 6lbs9ozs for the upper. I had ordered one awile back and I heard that it arrived this week, but I`m outa country for a minute. the wife told me it was heavy though, real heavy. she couldnt find a scale but said that it (the upper) weighed around twice as much as my 308. so now I`m kinda worried about what the weight will be since I know that my 308 is 9 lbs.
Although she is not a hunter/shooter and could be way off, so I was just kinda currious about how much everyone elses weighed.
It would suck to have waited so long to have gotten a 18 lb upper (making a 21-22 lb gun)
It is the varmint upper in 20"
And before you all ask, no I havent contacted the company to ask anything about it because as I said earlier in the post, I am not there and can`t check the weight and she may be way off about it.
I didn`t want to say anything about it because I have not seen it for myself yet and I do not want to say anything bad about the company as I havn`t even seen it for myself much less talked with them yet.
I appreciate the weights and thoughts of yours if you can share them.

I had a 26" 204 WOA upper,it was a heavy SOB but accurate as all get out,many a Magpie and crow fell victim to it,rockchucks too.It was too heavy and bulky to use as a calling gun for varmints,I wound up selling the barrel and going with a 20" heavy barrel 223.WOA is top quality,but my next heavy varmint countour AR barrel will be a pre-tensioned one for weight savings.Having Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Gunstocks do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strider09</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have an AR-15 in 223 with the upper made from WOA? what is the weight? I am mostly currious about the 20" barrel types but information on any length would be useful. Thanx. </div></div>

hummmmm WOA ??

Women Of Action ???

Wacken Open Air ???

come on man, not everyone is familiar with all the acronyms, abbreviations, and nonsense. </div></div>

Jeez thats a lot of sarcasm. It would have been easier to google woa ar 15 then you would know. For future reference when you don't know what something is then you probably won't be able to contribute to the thread so just bottle up your sarcasm and spare us from it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ninpo2006</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strider09</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have an AR-15 in 223 with the upper made from WOA? what is the weight? I am mostly currious about the 20" barrel types but information on any length would be useful. Thanx. </div></div>

hummmmm WOA ??

Women Of Action ???

Wacken Open Air ???

come on man, not everyone is familiar with all the acronyms, abbreviations, and nonsense. </div></div>

Jeez thats a lot of sarcasm. It would have been easier to google woa ar 15 then you would know. For future reference when you don't know what something is then you probably won't be able to contribute to the thread so just bottle up your sarcasm and spare us from it. </div></div>

no sarcasm my friend, i did just as you suggested and come up with everything but <span style="font-weight: bold">W</span>hite <span style="font-weight: bold">O</span>ak <span style="font-weight: bold">A</span>rmory.., it would also be a great contribution to the masses if people would use <span style="font-weight: bold">NAMES</span> rather than acronyms, i'll bet you i could list 10 acronyms that you wouldn't have a clue as to what they mean.

thank you sir !!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ninpo2006</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strider09</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have an AR-15 in 223 with the upper made from WOA? what is the weight? I am mostly currious about the 20" barrel types but information on any length would be useful. Thanx. </div></div>

hummmmm WOA ??

Women Of Action ???

Wacken Open Air ???

Jeez thats a lot of sarcasm. It would have been easier to google woa ar 15 then you would know. For future reference when you don't know what something is then you probably won't be able to contribute to the thread so just bottle up your sarcasm and spare us from it. </div></div>

no sarcasm my friend, i did just as you suggested and come up with everything but <span style="font-weight: bold">W</span>hite <span style="font-weight: bold">O</span>ak <span style="font-weight: bold">A</span>rmory.., it would also be a great contribution to the masses if people would use <span style="font-weight: bold">NAMES</span> rather than acronyms, i'll bet you i could list 10 acronyms that you wouldn't have a clue as to what they mean.

thank you sir !!! </div></div> If you dont know who WOA is your in the wrong place puffin Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strider09</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have an AR-15 in 223 with the upper made from WOA? what is the weight? I am mostly currious about the 20" barrel types but information on any length would be useful. Thanx. </div></div>

hummmmm WOA ??

Women Of Action ???

Wacken Open Air ???

Why couldn't you just ask "What's WOA?" instead of wasting your time writing this crap. You need to learn how to use google if you say you found everything but White Oak Armament. And now I feel like I'm wasting my time writing this.

I have a 24" WOA upper. I don't have an exact weight, but I can tell you that the my upper isn't anywhere close to 16 lbs...nor is it 10lbs. I will weight it soon and see, but I would guess it is closer to 7.5 lbs.

I know what a WOA could stand for, but for clarification sake...I like to answer questions without confusion too. If I have to guess as to the question...my answer may not apply either. Food for thought.

A "standard" NM AR without any lead weights front or rear weighs 9.25 pounds, be it John's, Frank's, or RRA's. They all use a similar barrel profile.

laugh.gif
^^^^

I have a White Oak upper service rifle, twenty in barrel.

After I put shot in the butt stock to get the balance just in front of hte mag well, I weighs 13 lbs.

Thank you to everyone who provided help, or is still provideing help/info in this. Sorry that I am not on very much but I do check this thread everytime I get a chance (I get a chance once a day).
Kraig, Thank you for posting the weight, sorry to ask this many questions but, by shot you mean like lead weights? about how much did you add to it? does it help out and would you recomend it?
Mines is the varmint but I think the service would be about the same weight right?

He is talking about lead shot like is used in shotgun ammo.

The highpower guys add weight to make the gun more stable and lets them adjust balance.

I wouldnt worry about it for your varmint setup. It would be a bitch to carry around. It is not needed for a field/fun gun

Have a WOA Service Rifle barrel, pre-ban, in A4 configuration with WOA SR float tube, and a 2.5-10x scope in QD warne rings and it weighs about 11.5lbs w/o loaded magazine. Sierra handgrip and A1 buttstock 39" oal with flash hider.

About as handy as an M4 but with 1:7 twist and 75gr bthp, capable of so much more... Save yourself about a pound and use a lightweight float tube, or go Badger stabilizer handguard. Am convinced that a 20" barrel is best for all-around use.

bignada, thanks for the tips.
Does the lightweight floattube realy save that much weight? If it saves even half that I`m definatly game. Never even thought of the float tube but its somethin I`m gonna start checking into.

Does anyone know about flutting the barrel? can you get this done after the barrels already been made or can it only be done on new barrels? If they can do it, who`s cheap but good?

sorry strider09...haven't got around to pulling it out of the safe and sticking it on a scale. You want just the weight of the upper...no scope, and no lower...right?

tlfw, I`m sorry to ask you for this, but If you are able I really appreciate it, I am interested in the weight in whatever condition that it is currently in. The lower should be the same weight as mine, so its not a problem either way (i can add or subtract the weight), If the scope is presently mounted then the whole setup weight would be good (can`t see asking you to take off the scope because that would mean you would have to set it back on, rezero it, etc), and if you tell me the make of the scope I can always check to find the weight of those from websites or I can always minus a pound for the scope (^-^).
Thank you

Ok. I will get it on the scale tonight. At present time there is no scope on it and I can easily take off the raised scope rail I added too. So the weight will be of just the upper. No scope, no bipod, no extras...

IMG_0625.jpg

ok-

Weight of my WOA 24" barrel upper without scope, scope rail, bipod etc. is a grand total of 7.375lbs.

tlfw, Wow! I wonder what my wife was talking about!? that`s not that heavy at all. Thank you for checking it out for me, I really appriciate you takin the time. I hear they shoot great, I can`t wait to get home and try it out at the range(^-^)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nesikabay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you dont know who WOA is your in the wrong place puffin Pete</div></div>

Amen to that!