• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weight of Zermatt Origin scope rail

Wiley2019

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2022
Texas
I’ve searched high and low but can’t seem to find an answer anywhere, does anyone know what the weight of the factory scope rail on an origin short action is? I’m trying to decide if there is much weight to lose by switching to direct mounts such as Talley Lightweights. I know that rails don’t typically weigh much but I’m trying to skim a little weight here and there and I’d rather not spend the ammo cost rezeroing just to take it off and weigh a rail.

It should take all of 2 or 3 shots to rezero if you even need to.

Is the rail stainless or aluminum?

There's weight to lose. Ounces. You can probably get rid of a lot more weight with a defiance an-ti or lone peak titanium action. I mean, if you really want to cut those ounces.

There's weight to lose. Ounces. You can probably get rid of a lot more weight with a defiance an-ti or lone peak titanium action. I mean, if you really want to cut those ounces.
If I had time to get a rifle put together before the season I would, next on my list will be something really light

Yeah, but with the Defiance you get the aids….
🤣
With LP you are dropping piles of cash for another action.
Talley rings are $50-60.

OP, lotta places to lose weight.
I like Talley mounts and use them on my Tikka
I also like rails and left mine alone on my Origins set up for hunting.
I just run Seekins rings on mine.

Next stop, maybe the Ti3 if Im really building a sheep or goat rifle.
For the rest of my hunting (CO mtns for muley, elk, bear) the reg Origin works for me.
Maybe not as much in a few years when I pass 50…

Reactions: redneckbmxer24
Yeah, but with the Defiance you get the aids….
🤣
With LP you are dropping piles of cash for another action.
Talley rings are $50-60.

OP, lotta places to lose weight.
I like Talley mounts and use them on my Tikka
I also like rails and left mine alone on my Origins set up for hunting.
I just run Seekins rings on mine.

Next stop, maybe the Ti3 if Im really building a sheep or goat rifle.
For the rest of my hunting (CO mtns for muley, elk, bear) the reg Origin works for me.
Maybe not as much in a few years when I pass 50…
Agreed, as much as I’d like to just build out a whole new rifle, right now I need to shave some weight off the one that’s built and paid for 😂. She’s down to 8lb 4oz with swapping my adjustable manners TA stock for an eh1 with mini chassis that I already have waiting on another build. I’m thinking with the Talley rings I can get that right at 8 or just a smidge under. Not really sure where else weight can be cut, but I also don’t think I’d want a magnum much lighter than that anyways.

Reactions: powdahound76
Not sure where you are walkin and I personally consider 8.5 lbs about right for a hunter.

My days are often 8+ miles and 2-4k ft of elevation. Just depends on the spot.

My current Origin is right near 9.5 lbs loaded in an EH1.
Im happy enough with how it hammers that Im gonna deal with the extra ozs.

Im chronically a cheap bugger and never skimp on ammo double checking a hunting rifle personally.
BUT mostly shoot handloads.

Not sure where you are walkin and I personally consider 8.5 lbs about right for a hunter.

My days are often 8+ miles and 2-4k ft of elevation. Just depends on the spot.

My current Origin is right near 9.5 lbs loaded in an EH1.
Im happy enough with how it hammers that Im gonna deal with the extra ozs.

Im chronically a cheap bugger and never skimp on ammo double checking a hunting rifle personally.
BUT mostly shoot handloads.
I didn’t mean to sound cheap on the ammo, it’s more of an availability issue because I shoot a custom loaded round. Not really a big deal, I just didn’t want to waste the ammo in order to find information that was available here.

Good to know on your acceptable weights though, that makes me feel much better. I’m from texas so these hiking hunts are a new territory for me. With googling everyone is talking about like 6lb kimbers and I thought I was way off of where I needed to be. The particular hunt I’m doing will be in SE Arizona.

A slightly heavier rifle is much easier to shoot well.
Light rifles will magnify errors with the shooter.

Have you considered dropping weight in your pack, your clothing and especially your boots?
Lots to be saved there.

Weight can be dropped by choosing a lighter knife, binos, belt, your actual pack and a dozen other things.

Too much emphasis is place on a light rifle instead of the entire kit.

I didn’t mean to sound cheap on the ammo, it’s more of an availability issue because I shoot a custom loaded round. Not really a big deal, I just didn’t want to waste the ammo in order to find information that was available here.

Good to know on your acceptable weights though, that makes me feel much better. I’m from texas so these hiking hunts are a new territory for me. With googling everyone is talking about like 6lb kimbers and I thought I was way off of where I needed to be. The particular hunt I’m doing will be in SE Arizona.

I wish Barrett would make the fieldcraft again, 6lbs including Talley rings and a vx3 4.5-14.

But, I'm hiking at 6-9000 ft, and I'm lazy.

A slightly heavier rifle is much easier to shoot well.
Light rifles will magnify errors with the shooter.

Have you considered dropping weight in your pack, your clothing and especially your boots?
Lots to be saved there.

Weight can be dropped by choosing a lighter knife, binos, belt, your actual pack and a dozen other things.

Too much emphasis is place on a light rifle instead of the entire kit.
I haven’t purchased most of the kit yet, as I said this is a new sort of hunting for me. But I will be very weight conscious when shopping. I’m definitely open to gear recommendations specifically with packs, spotting scopes, and boots, my binos are fairly lightweight and worn on a chest harness that makes them feel like they aren’t even there.

I haven’t purchased most of the kit yet, as I said this is a new sort of hunting for me. But I will be very weight conscious when shopping. I’m definitely open to gear recommendations specifically with packs, spotting scopes, and boots, my binos are fairly lightweight and worn on a chest harness that makes them feel like they aren’t even there.
Check out the "lightweight zone" on rokslide. Lots of those guys are avid back country hunters and spend tons of money on shaving ounces.

OP,
One thing that might be lost in @powdahound76 post is the 2-4000' elevation, is elevation gain.

(E, correct me if I'm wrong, but your hunts start around 8,000ft altitude, right?)

I just looked at the SE Arizona area and it sure looks pretty flat to me. East Central has some mountains, but the SE area looks more like west Texas.

I don't like to carry excess weight, but you might really be over thinking this whole thing.

Yeah Mike, 2-4k of gain.
No including loss.
Sometimes more.

Some units start around 8.
Others nearer 9500.
Some days closer to 11k.

All depends where we see critters.

2020, second rifle, we saw elk in a bowl, bedded in the fresh 10-12” snow, around 12,500
No tag for that unit and ours was on fire.
No scouting in other units so we just went hiking and shooting a bunch.
Too bad, I Think I coulda put the stalk on them up and over a 13,240 ft peak and around a shoulder to keep the wind in my favor.