• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weight Sorting Brass Variance?

Utah Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
SL UT
Looking at starting some new loads for 5.56 LC brass. Just curious to all those who weight sort their brass. What variances are you looking for .05 grains or????

Re: Weight Sorting Brass Variance?

U.S,

0.5 grains will work, 0.05 would be overkill. Don't forget to uniform the primer pockets, either. A light neck turn helps get a consistent crimp if you crimp.

HTH,
DocB

Oh yeah. I meant .5 grains. .05 would be almost impossible.

It's been my experience that case weight has no statistical correlation with case capacity at least with military brass.

I have more acute problems with bullet length variations and hence cartridge overall length variations even with match bullets. My time is better spent measuring and sorting supposedly high quality bullets before loading them.

Another pain in the butt step in the quest for small groups.

Good luck.

With brass from the same maker, and the same lot, a tuned load via OCW and strict attention to TIR will net more positive results......