• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weird issue in my new Ruger 22/45. FTE?

uracowman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2012
Houston, TX
hey guys,

I am having a weird issue on my brand new ruger 22/45. I took it out to the range for the first time today, and I noticed some huge issues with the gun:

1) The gun was having failure to extract issues. For instance, I would load a single round into the gun to test if the extractor was engaging the brass. When cycling the action back and forth, the brass would stay in the chamber. Oddly enough though, the brass would exit the chamber upon firing, but there was another problem, seen in #2 below.

2) Tons of failure to ejects (please refer to picture). In the picture below, the spent casing is on the left, the new one is on the right. I would say about 1/3 of the time, the brass would eject normally, or just barely fall out of the chamber. The other 2/3 of the time, the empty casing would just move around in gun and cause a firing stoppage by jamming the gun.

QICtxOZ.jpg

I just took the gun apart, and everything seems to be normal. The only thing I could see that may be wrong with the gun is the extractor on the bolt. It may be just my eyes, but it seems like the extractor isn't seated correctly, or isn't large enough to engage the lip of the brass.

Does anyone know what the issue may be? Should I just try different ammo before calling Ruger, or is there a larger issue at hand.

Re: Weird issue in my new Ruger 22/45. FTE?

Get a new extractor . Mine did the same thing . Put a Volquartsen extractor in it and it ran like a seeing machine .

second above. my extractor had half the edge missing when I removed it. simple to do and have not had the problem since.

Is that a common flaw? Is it a different extractor than regular Mk2? Haven't had that problem (yet).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTSEAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that a common flaw? Is it a different extractor than regular Mk2? Haven't had that problem (yet). </div></div>
Not sure how common it is, but my gun was brand new and the extractor was rounded instead of hooked.

Try a hotter ammo. Something on the lines of CCI MiniMag. I also have a friend that had to remove his Loaded Chamber Indicator. It kept causing cycle problems.

Just installed a new Volquartsen Extractor. The gun runs like an absolute champ and din't have any issues in the 200 rounds I fired today.

The factory extractor was definitely defective and the claw wasn't protruding enough to grab the brass.