• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Welcome to the Camps.... Don't buy a PRS membership

Well, damn. I guess I feel dumb for sending in my $100 to be a PRS member so that I could regiser for a 2-day match ($225).

I think if you went to a regional match you would find many guys more than anxious to help you out that don't have the arrogance you can find some places. 2. The cost is definitely up there, it's all about what means you have and what your priorities are. 3. Many people that shoot and invest the money are more knowledgeable than most on ballistics and shooting, but "sniper field craft" isn't very important in PRS style matches. Snipers are focusing more on observation, stalking, etc... Shooting is a very small portion of sniper field craft. Shooting is a very large part of PRS style matches.

I have never shot in a prs match, I want to, but I really don’t want to as well...reason being, every person I had met who had any thing to do with competeing in a prs match was
a) not humble, b) had more money than god and could afford it, because it is a rich mans game and c) was so ignorant as to what they thought they knew about long range shooting / sniper field craft it made me sick and they could not be told anything....want names?

Maybe this is a regional thing, but I can tell you this - while there are shooters like you describe in the Southeast, they are exceptionally rare. The overwhelming majority of shooters I have delt with have been all but the exact opposite as you've described.

Edit to add: Even the shooters I know of in the SE that are a little... stand-offish, I can't think of any that hit all 3 of those. There's a couple that hit 2, a few that hit 1... but none I can think of that hit all 3.

Reactions: Fig and Raptor005
^^same...i cant think of any either

a) ehhh, i dont really care about humble, doesnt hurt my feelings...if someone is good and tells me theyre good, thats fine with me long as theyre actually good...just dont lie about it
b) i know a very small few who have more money than god prolly, but you wouldnt know just from being around them at a match
c) aint no one who's decent ignorant to long range shooting, and i dont think ive ever heard field craft talked about in a match other than jokingly or as a mock stage/match...most of us are shooters, not snipers, and none i know pretend to be the latter

so yeah, names might be helpful lol

^^same...i cant think of any either

a) ehhh, i dont really care about humble...if someone is good and tells me theyre good, thats fine with me long as theyre actually good...just dont lie about it
b) i know a very small few who have more money than god prolly, but you wouldnt know just from being around them at a match
c) aint no one who's decent ignorant to long range shooting, and i dont think ive ever heard field craft talked about in a match other than jokingly or as a mock stage/match...most of us are shooters, not snipers, and none i know pretend to be the latter

so yeah, names might be helpful lol

Check his post history. There's another thread in the PRS sub-forum where he started trying to swing his junk around, with predictable results. I didn't see that thread until after I had replied to him here.

Also, to point A, the phrase "It ain't braggin' if you really did it" comes to mind.

LOL, our club has all sorts of matches all week several days a month and annual dues with a key is $60 and $6 for a match fee you may get back if you place. We have 600 members. Been going strong since 1961. We will never set up a PRS style match.

its just business, and in business there are balance sheets and $.
we all saw this coming from miles away now we are just a little cranky about it.
not much is going to change unless the members vote with their $.

hell, i was just at my sons boy scouts pine wood derby on saturday.
now we all help a little too much because we want to win, but like everything else some parents get crazy about it and ruin it.
event the kids knew what cars were parent built.

speaking to one guy, some parents are so nuts they hit up ebay and buy "proven race winners" for $100+.
the kit only costs $14.

it takes all types.

Not that many marksmen like that in the Midwest either. Not even “The Jersied Teams”. However, maybe I’m not the best person to comment. I’m a bit of a sarcastic asshole myself, and if I like someone I start giving them trouble almost immediately. So maybe everyone seems so nice and humble to me because I’m the biggest asshole there...

I'd have to agree with the rest of you. Granted club level matches feel a little more laid back, but I can't think of anyone in the Southwest who hits all 3 of those. I can't really think of anyone in the Southwest who hits 2 even at the national level.

Last edited:
I'd have to agree with the rest of you. Granted club level matches feel a little more laid back, but I can't think of anyone in the Southwest who hits all 3 of those. I can't really think of anyone who hits 2 even at the national level.

I've seen a few newbies that hit 1 and 3, but it always results in one of two things - either they settle down and realize they aren't as awesome as they think (and thereby grow as a competitive shooter), or they take their ball and go home. I still remember Shawn Wiseman telling the story of his first PRS match at the 2015 Finale - and I know a few other guys that have told similar stories.

Yea, I went in thinking I was going to be humbled, but was not prepared for the humiliation I felt at my first match. Oh, everyone was very nice, but I couldn't shoot for shit, and was using a rifle with an internal magazine, and timed out on 90% of the stages... I was a total, non-shooting mess.

Honestly, I had no idea what really good shooting looked like. I have gotten so much better, but I still marvel at how well the top guys can shoot. When I clean a stage or hit a high percentage on a difficult stage I can't stop smiling. It feels as good as busting big wads of ducks, or catching a huge billfish. I get giddy like I was a kid again, and it just never gets old.

I was totally and completely hooked from the first impact.

I have never shot in a prs match, I want to, but I really don’t want to as well...reason being, every person I had met who had any thing to do with competeing in a prs match was
a) not humble, b) had more money than god and could afford it, because it is a rich mans game and c) was so ignorant as to what they thought they knew about long range shooting / sniper field craft it made me sick and they could not be told anything....want names?

I'm a pretty new shooter, not competitive by any means, and I've yet to meet anyone at a match that fits your description. Everyone has been welcoming, friendly, willing to help out.

I've yet to shoot a match and not have a great time, no matter how I happen to be shooting that day. But then as Fig said, I had no idea what really good shooting was until I saw it first hand at a match. I quickly decided to leave my ego at home and instead focus on learning, growing as a shooter, and above all enjoying myself.

I'm not a PRS member and have never shot a single match, but i saw the title of this thread and thought, "dang, what is this about?" Turns out people are losing their shit over the cost of two boxes of decent ammo. I can't believe what I've read. Seriously, it blows my mind that people who spend what they do on rifles, glass, ammo, reloading gear, chronographs, and all the other bullshit that most of us spend money on would bitch about $40. If you balk at $40 and you shoot long range precision rifle, you probably don't have the money to be doing it in the first place. That sounds like a really douchey thing to say, but it's true. If that's you, your priorities are probably upside down financially.

I'm not a PRS member and have never shot a single match, but i saw the title of this thread and thought, "dang, what is this about?" Turns out people are losing their shit over the cost of two boxes of decent ammo. I can't believe what I've read. Seriously, it blows my mind that people who spend what they do on rifles, glass, ammo, reloading gear, chronographs, and all the other bullshit that most of us spend money on would bitch about $40. If you balk at $40 and you shoot long range precision rifle, you probably don't have the money to be doing it in the first place. That sounds like a really douchey thing to say, but it's true. If that's you, your priorities are probably upside down financially.

It's not true and maybe if you had a little background you would understand more.

Well brother,you are in my favorite state of Texas and shit is a lot different down ther than up here in Washington. This place is full of snobs and office tactical wannabes. God bless the south. People up here say hi by putting a knife in your back. Just sayin...

You, Sir, are toxic. You have yet to add value to any of the threads you’ve decided to shit in. You have done nothing but point out perceived issues (that largely don’t exist) about a sport you have admitted to have never participated in. You ARE the problem, spreading misinformation to many others who read this forum to learn and potentially participate in PRS.

Are you gona take that?
giphy.gif

You, Sir, are toxic. You have yet to add value to any of the threads you’ve decided to shit in. You have done nothing but point out perceived issues (that largely don’t exist) about a sport you have admitted to have never participated in. You ARE the problem, spreading misinformation to many others who read this forum to learn and potentially participate in PRS.

Thanks. I badly want to find the time to go to comps and comments like he's making almost chase me off.

Going to give a try this year, but finding the time at home AND there being a match, AND that I live in a long range dead zone in michigan is really hurting me.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
Check out the Border Wars series, I am pretty sure they have matches that would be at least somewhat local to you.
I will do that.

I was hoping that the Buckeye Precision Rifle series would happen in 2019 again but it doesn't look like that is happening now, I haven't seen any updates since last year.

It's not true and maybe if you had a little background you would understand more.

So help me understand. I've read through this entire thread twice and i still don't get the controversy. If match directors choose to have their matches fall under the prs umbrella then shouldn't your complaint be with them? If there really is so much demand for non prs sanctioned matches, won't match directors respond by hosting those matches?

Reactions: lash
So help me understand. I've read through this entire thread twice and i still don't get the controversy. If match directors choose to have their matches fall under the prs umbrella then shouldn't your complaint be with them? If there really is so much demand for non prs sanctioned matches, won't match directors respond by hosting those matches?

To quote my own earlier post...

For those of us already active with the PRS, the money isn't going to be an issue - an extra $20 on top of the $100 PRS membership is a TINY drop in the bucket compared to match fees, travel expenses, etc.

For the new guy that wants to bring out his RPR with a $600 scope on it to his first match, hearing that he now has to pay $40 to a national organization just to be able to sign up for a $75-100 one day match... suddenly that new shooter is a lot less inclined to sign up for a match just to try things out. What does that brand-spankin'-new competitive shooter gain from paying $40 for an annual membership, especially if he's not even sure he's going to do this more than once?

You're also putting MDs in a tough spot - they're being forced to turn away new shooters that aren't willing to pay the extra $40 just to try out a match, or drop their matches from the regional series (and risking alienating the existing shooters that want regional points) to be more welcoming of new shooters.

Edit: Also, what about the casual match shooters that don't care one jot about regional standings, tracked scores, etc. and show up to shoot one day matches for fun? How many of them will shell out $40 a year just to shoot a couple matches? Some of them may look at the discount deals you get and see getting their money's worth.... but some may not care about those discounts, and decide it's no longer worth it.

The reasons I outlined above are based entirely on comments that were made (in public or private) by people that were opposed to the $40, with many of them being new and/or regional-level shooters - IE: the exact people that $40 fee was aimed at. The fact that it was being proposed for only the SE (the busiest region for the PRS) just added insult to injury for many.

Reactions: C_R_Slacker
Too tired of this BS to try and make you understand. Been going on since 2012 when the PRS started. Someone else can try and help you understand but if you do get into the sport maybe it will become more clear in the future. That said people who never knew the sport without the PRS also have a different basis of opinion.

Too tired of this BS to try and make you understand. Been going on since 2012 when the PRS started. Someone else can try and help you understand but if you do get into the sport maybe it will become more clear in the future. That said people who never knew the sport without the PRS also have a different basis of opinion.

Fair enough.

Mammoth. Where are you located at? I shot in the BPRC last year. The same places are having matches, just under different names. Check your inbox?

Reactions: TheMammoth
Hmmm ok. Rugster..why don’t you hop a flight..come on up to the great state of Washington, sw wa to be exact and I’ll introduce you to more than a few guys that will make you feel like shit just by being in the same AO as them. UP here... prs is fashion show and a money/status/ gear race to acquire S&B / Kahles optics.
Hey dude....btw...what value can I add to these threads when everybody aboard constantly 1ups the previous post...I dare not say a thing cuz everybody’s a damned expert.
Do you know martial arts by chance?

Hmmm ok. Rugster..why don’t you hop a flight..come on up to the great state of Washington, sw wa to be exact and I’ll introduce you to more than a few guys that will make you feel like shit just by being in the same AO as them. UP here... prs is fashion show and a money/status/ gear race to acquire S&B / Kahles optics.
Hey dude....btw...what value can I add to these threads when everybody aboard constantly 1ups the previous post...I dare not say a thing cuz everybody’s a damned expert.

No better way to show all the “gear race” guys in your area who’s boss than to beat them. But it sounds like you’re too busy playing victim and haven’t shot a single match. If you ask me it just sounds like you’re insecure about your (lack of) gear. You’re exactly what this sport doesn’t need. We want new guys to come out with whatever gear they have and simply try. Anyone who knows me knows damn well they can try any of my gear. I bet you the gear race guys would let you try any of their gear at a match, but again, you haven’t gone to one so you wouldn’t know...

As far as adding value - try asking questions...that would be a good start.

Actually there rugster, I make the “gear race” guys look real bad all the time. They shoot prone with their custom chassis rifles with nightforce and S&B optics at 700,1000 and 1250 yards and I shoot offhand or on one knee at those ranges with the same hits with my cz550 varmint and a cheap 14x Burris MTAC. Fact is I know how to do this, and have no money....they have money, and zero field experience or skill. I don’t “need” your “sport” there guy.
Cool! What matches have you shot? I love to show up the arrogant!

Is this the Safeway FBI sniper guy still? I lost count?

Kneeling and offhand to 1400 yds is impressive.

Also, I keep hear of these claims around the country of these guys “putting PRS guys to shame” but have never heard of an actual gathering of shooters outside of a match.

Can someone break the first rule of fight club and let me know where these non PRS matches where such ass kickery occurs with savages, rem 700, 270’s, and “lupe holds?”

Y'all oughta stop antagonizin' this here boy. He's a damned hero. I see it at the picture show up to the county seat, yessiree!

Reactions: 1J04
68WF3, your posts are starting to remind me of this jewel of a quote from Justified:

Last edited:
Reactions: CV_Ag and 1J04
Actually there rugster, I make the “gear race” guys look real bad all the time. They shoot prone with their custom chassis rifles with nightforce and S&B optics at 700,1000 and 1250 yards and I shoot offhand or on one knee at those ranges with the same hits with my cz550 varmint and a cheap 14x Burris MTAC. Fact is I know how to do this, and have no money....they have money, and zero field experience or skill. I don’t “need” your “sport” there guy.

I feel the same way. I've been thinking about how I could attend this year's Snipers Hide Cup. I wondered what all the fuss was over these "competitions" so I looked up some youtube videos of prior cups.

Just look at these fucking clowns...

#1 Why the fuck would you kill a rattlesnake?
#2 Jesus, if you're gonna kill it just grab it by the tail and give a good flick. What's with the fuckin' drama?
#3 Who is that bitch ass with the knife? He's like 30% committed and people are comparing him to the legend that is the crocodile hunter.

Then look at this dude, he's moved maybe 200 yards and is sucking wind like he's about to die. I don't know what "pin" they're talking about, but that's what, 6-800 yards? Why not just offhand it? Then he gives up at the end, like... wtf. Why even go out there?

It's all shit like that. I'm pretty sure I can whoop all those guys with my deer rifle, my cz p-01 and some cargo pants from walmart stuffed with mags.

Reactions: 1J04 and Bender
If I could afford a “real scope” it would be on. But I am a hardworking guy with a wife and 3 kids and a house on land and cannot afford to get even $1500.00 optic. I use scopes that don’t even have zero stops, i shoot 30 mph winds daily. My “best “ setup is a rpr in 6.5 with a $250 Burris MTAC.....i’d Shoot against you any day of the week rugster. And i’d Beat you.

Make your way to K&M this summer for their Kahles PRS match. I’ll loan you a Nightforce 7-35 ATACR Mil XT for your RPR 6.5. I’m always game for a challenge.

I’m poor and hungry. Seriously though, it’s just the money for me. It’s just to expensive of a game. I would love to win a new scope off a table. If somebody let me use their setup I could beat some of the best guys. You wouldn’t know unless you knew me or shot my personal range I have. 200, 350, 440 (decline), 685-heaven crosswind, 995 (decline) and 1330 yards respectively All 12” gongs. 5 min walk from my house.
Let’s see! I’m jealous. I want a range within walking distance. It’s no wonder why you shoot so good.

Reactions: 1J04
I’m poor and hungry. Seriously though, it’s just the money for me. It’s just to expensive of a game. I would love to win a new scope off a table. If somebody let me use their setup I could beat some of the best guys. You wouldn’t know unless you knew me or shot my personal range I have. 200, 350, 440 (decline), 685-heaven crosswind, 995 (decline) and 1330 yards respectively All 12” gongs. 5 min walk from my house.

I'm poor, too. I just use beer cans/random junk people dump in the woods. Got an old muffler at 810, part of a bumper off an F150 at 630, some beer cans on some tree limbs out at 1300, and a pretty open range from 0-500. Too lazy for gongs, can't leave 'em or they'll be stolen, and don't want to haul them around.

Hahaha I love you dude! I worry about my steel being stolen all the time. I just put my gongs in locations where only a crack head starved criminal with balls and a full belly of cheeseburgers has enough energy to climb down a sheer face wall to get.

All we've got is starving tweakers. They'll go to the ends of the Earth for a couple pounds of scrap.

Reactions: Bender
So whats the problem?
If you're that good, take your current gear to some matches and woop ass. A few match wins later no one will even look twice at your Mtac. Kick ass and take names for a season and you'll have more prize table goodies then you'll know what to do with.